Home

Got the game? Post your first impressions here!

Darth333

FInished the game ages ago........

Upon completing it, my immediate reaction was "W.T.F.?!"

It's glitchy, bug-ridden, confusing, theres so much cut content that most of the game makes NO sense, it has NO replay value, and the story was nonsensical.

You spend FAR too much time wandering around aimlessly.

There seems to be no real driving motivation for the wandering around, which in particularly makes it so utterly aimless.

Kreia's "teaching" seems to be limited to one thing on Nar Shadaa and another on Dxun, and berating you whether you're good or evil.

Most of the characters have zero small talk, and the information you do squeeze out of them is very little at VERY irregular intervals.

Bao-Dur seems to be nothing more than a convenient plot device, with minimal fleshing out done. For proof, try talking to him once you have your lightsabre and have made him a Jedi.

Force Sight is COMPLETELY useless, and seems to have been another somewhat inexplicable inclusion.

Far too much seems to hinge, too, on very minor and difficult-to-work-out sidequests.

I actually have to force myself to play it, even if I'm beta-testing a mod!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, TSL is a good game that's fun to play and tweak. Sure, it has its flaws, but very few games are perfect. Good enough overall that I've played it multiple times, so I certainly don't regret buying it. :)

Unlike most people it seems, I like the story as it is, and while the ending could have been a bit more fleshed out from a gameplay perspective, I like the ending from a story perspective.

I loved it! But the only thing was again you don't do anything at the end!:mad: The graphics needed to be upgraded since they used the same engine so it was about the same that way but it was still cool. In some parts it could use a tad bit of work but still very nice. Some of the new abilities were pretty cool. But over all if they make a KOTOR3 I bet it will rock the boat hard!! Over all I loved it so much.

I had read a lot of player reviews (many of which caused me to imagine enraged geeks frothing at the mouth as they fiercely banged out their frustrations over a rushed game) so I was well aware that TSL might not be as good as the original. I knew that there would be quests that ended abruptly or couldn't begin at all, and I was prepaired for an ending that would be as satisfying as turning off my monitor seconds after beating Malak in K1.

I was told rathing convicingly that this game would be a pale shadow of what had come before.

But seeing as to how I had just beaten K1 a couple of days prior and needed a SW "fix", I went ahead and got TSL anyway. The way I saw it, everyone could complain all they wanted but the game wont be getting any better, so I might as well play it.

The opening tutorial was GREAT, I loved seeing T3 again and was glad to have him back. After all the little guy was a hero, having rescued everyone from the Leviathan single handedly (sorta). So it was cool repair the ship and even getting to travel on the outside of the Ebon Hawk, no matter how many times I see it. . . SPACE looks really neat!

Being the wise person than I am and having been playing the game for a full, what. . . 20 mins? I couldn't see what everyone was complaining about, this game rocked! That was of course before I got to the mining station, playing female I was curiously self concious about the fact that the game took my clothes! But thats a minor thing really. . . to be perfectly honest, I really did have to force myself to keep playing because that place was soooo boring and then after I had done everything that I was supposed to do, it turned out that there wasn't much point to me having done anything at all. I could have just sat there for the 5 hours it seemed to acomplish all the tasks. Really, I would much rather have spent that time talking to Kriea or Atton and finding out what had happened between K1 and K2.

But it got better and there was fighting and I got to walk through a Republic ship and see nifty things. Still though, I had a bit of a gripe. Where the hell were my clothes!?! Thankyfully, I think there is a mod to fix that now. . .

Anyway!

Telos was similar to the mining station for the first. . . hour? Though when I was allowed to leave my room, things a lot better and it was kinda fun to see the place Carth mentioned so many times before.

However once I had free riegn to travel the outer rim, I was pleased to find that most of those angry geeks were mostly wrong. Sure the game was obviously rushed, but it all came down to something really simple: if you liked the last game, this was an enjoyable follow up worth the price and time to play it through.

The only things that bothered me was being constantly berated by Kriea for trying to help people, the minor glitches when Revan would be reffered to as "He" or "Him", Diciple's lack of engaing charicterization (he's the human equevilant of a puppy), Go - To (stupid evil robot!), and the obvious missing content. Also the fact that Atris wouldn't give me my lightsabre back!

The influence system was a great idea, but I hated getting darkside points after some conversation choices I needed to make in order to gain influence. Really, for some characters I couldn't get managable influence if someone hand put a gun to my head and demanded it! Though, for those with whom I had nice influence it was cool to see them follow me and become beacons of light.

As for the ending. . . you know, it really wasn't as bad as everyone had made it out to be. In its own way, it was fitting to the over all feel of darkness that permeated the game.

Of course it was only AFTER I had spent a week of day in and day out play, that I found out about Team Gizka and what they were doing. I nearly kicked myself for not looking up Starwarsknights.com before begining the game. Had I know about the restoration project, I would have waited however long it will take for that to get finished before playing. But oh well, I enjoyed the game TONS inspite of the missing content. How could I not? I mean, what could have been a more perfect quest than to seek out and unite the Jedi? Come on, that's a heroes quest if there ever was one!

If there was any missing option that I wished I had during my first play through, it would have been the option to kick Master Vrook in the nuts after our first dialogue exchange. Is it possible for any light side Jedi to be more of an unlikable jerk?

It can be confusing to those who aren't used to the style of gameplay. The graphics are kind of buggy. The game can get kind of glitchy. But really fun to play. I really would of liked more choices in terms of your characters appearance. You are limited to one species and a set of pre-designed faces.

As Achilles said, the official forums are very badly moderated. 99% of the "opinions" are mostly rants about how the game sucks. And not the constructive or intelligent kind of rant.

But I don really think a troll would attack you if you post an intelligent opinion. Its more a matter of people not reading your constructive opinion. THe strange thing is, I have been on the LA forums for a while and havent noticed the conduct you mention. In fact its pretty well moderated, better than most forums. Ive seen a lot of intelligent posts. But thats just me...

But I don really think a troll would attack you if you post an intelligent opinion. Its more a matter of people not reading your constructive opinion. THe strange thing is, I have been on the LA forums for a while and havent noticed the conduct you mention. In fact its pretty well moderated, better than most forums. Ive seen a lot of intelligent posts. But thats just me...
Here, let me help. Troll = someone who will attack anything for the sake of attacking it, regardless of structure or reason. And if the official LA forums have become moderated, then that is a very recent development. As LIAYF pointed out, it used to be the epitome of garbage in/garbage out.

erm...LIAYD was referring to what is going on the official LA forums... but this discussion about other boards is off topic.

and Mira Dona, thanks for giving us your impressions but I think it's good that you played the game before getting the ending the Restoration team will come up with: you'll see both :D

As for the cut content, some of it is clearly lack of time. However, after reading the "dark" dialogues planned for the ending, I believe there could be some more reasons to these cuts in the original version in addition to the lack of time...

In the meantime you can always try Kotor 1 female darkside ending, which was cut from Kotor 1 (and now that the sequel is out, it's clear that it was for obvious reasons ) http://www.pcgamemods.com/5326/

In the meantime you can always try Kotor 1 female darkside ending, which was cut from Kotor 1 (and now that the sequel is out, it's clear that it was for obvious reasons ) http://www.pcgamemods.com/5326/

I had no idea stuff was cut from the first one. I'm not sure if I could do it though, its just too hard for me to play DS. I don't know what it is about DS, but I always feel guilty for wanton killing an manipulation.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed TSL's story alot more than Kotor 1. I really like the backround of the main character and the dialogues seem to go deeper than in Kotor 1, mainly because they manage to pick on the whole previous story (it´s always nice to have a solid backround to immerse yourself into a story) and also for the way it approaches the whole concept of good and evil. Kreia is, for me, one of the best characters in a videogame, and unlike others I truly enjoyed her rantings and excessive criticism. I have to add that my biggest disapointment in Kotor 1 was Malak's personality and the unresolved amount of questions regarding Revan's previous actions. After reading the chronicles in http://www.gamebanshee.com, alot of things started to make more sense, for both game's storyline, and I can´t understand why those informations weren´t more easily accessible in-game. At least I didn´t figured alot of them.

As a major positive thing, there is the ability to influence the alignment of your companions and turn them into jedi. It gives a very pleasant sense of power.

For the negative parts:

1. The fact that you after you manage to shift your companions alignment, the type of good/evil actions that give you influence over their dialogues are kept the same.

2. Both Darth Sion and Darth Niilhus (sp?) are very poorly explored as villains. Their background story is, at best, insuficient. Which is a pity, because they had potential to be very interesting.

3. The lack of alien Jedi Masters. Too many humans for my taste.

4. The lack of imagination of Malachor V. It was all the same, with almost no story addition nor quests or dialogues, which sucks when you are speaking of the ending part of the game.

5. I´m not sure if this is a reasonable critic, but some areas were repeated from the first game. While this isn´t a bad thing, it gives the impression that they had alot less work, and I would expect to see a bigger amount of dialogues to make it up, and preferably a better connection with Kotor 1 through npcs that were in it.

In the overall, I still think it is a great game, and I´m playing it again. I like the ending, as it opens my appetite for Kotor 3. I have to agree though, that it seems rushed in several points, and mainly for the lack of dialogues and general historical information. The cut content doesn´t bother me per si, but it is undeniable that there are things missing.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my first Impresssion of Kotor 2: (and from some of my friends)

First some points of critic:

1.The first level was un-cool. Kotor 1 opened with a big fight and a clear mission: Save Bastilla.It featured cool stuff, like the Black Vulkar infiltration etc. Now it seems as if you are just doing a structure lacking Tutorial on Peragas.

2.After the first planet in KOTOR came the cool switch to Jedi, in TSL you were captured and all your stuff is taken from you (ARGH! My inventory-logo was blinking al the time!) and again, a structure-less atempt to lengthen gameplay. That is how i see Telos. It would be better to let the Sith attack it or something.

3.The Lightsaber quest: I was traveling much, struggled with missions and FINALLY got my saber. Then i go to Nar Shadda. A old guy begs me to kill the Serocco. I did. He gives me a saber! Like that! 'You walked with my pet-rancor...here...have a lightsaber.' OMG! Not cool!

4.The Story SUCKED! If the title is The Sith Lods, i want the Sith Lords to have story significance! Not because 'big bad Nihilus' slapped Visias some time.

5. Go-To..nuf said

6.Dark Lords aren't Crooks! I want big bad speek-options!

Positive: (i'll keep it short)

1.FREEEEEEEDOM!!

2.More HK-droids, and HK-47 that totally flips out about them

3.Trayus Academy: I felt Powerfull that day, untill i got my Math-grades back..

4.Cool party (Except Go-TO!)

5.Saber upgrades rule, and the color cristals even more!

6.Comeo's (although few) of K1 NPC's

7.Can Kill Vrook :devscare:

8.You are a Mandalorian War-Hero

9.Visit to Dxun (Mandalorians RULE)

My humble Opinion :)

• 2 weeks later...

First time i play this, i got confused at first. I didn't play kotor 1 until later in the summer. I played this and then i finally understand and become lightside for the rest of the game. Then i decided to play darkside. Finally, i played kotor and i got admit...both are awesome. :thumbs1: ! I do hope that Kotor 3 came out. :D !

Archived