Home

Got the game? Post your first impressions here!

Darth333

Huh, my friend had a problem sort of like that with JO. He deleted some key portion of the game, and then he couldn't uninstall.

See if you can remove KotOR completely from your system one way or another. When you first tried to uninstall it, what did you do exactly?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed playing both games, if KOTOR I perhaps a bit more. Not because it's better than K2, but because the whole thing was new to me (when i got the game, i only watched star wars movies once - and that was 15 years ago, so i didn't really know much about it).

First got KOTOR II (my first rpg since Diablo oh-so-many-years ago)this past July and I was floored by it. I hadn't done KOTOR when I started with TSL.

I guess I didn't have the perspective to see what was "wrong with" the game.

It took me a couple of days to get used to the mechanics of it and figure out how everything worked. But after that I was totally drawn in by the story. I was extremely impressed with the flow of the story itself.

I wasn't so up on all the skill/feat/power upgrades so that first game turned out to be quite a mish-mash of clumsiness... and I didn't understand the "influence" part of the game, but the important thing was, I was having FUN! It was all about the exploration of the planets, the characters... the story itself.

I was much more interested in the next plot point than I was in the next battle. Actually, battles were things I came to dread as I wasn't quite sure how it was all working and I wanted to get back to the story itself.

I felt it was totally immersive. Drew me deep into the game and I'd play for hours without realizing it. The deeper I got into the game, the more I didn't want it to get anywhere near the end. I wanted it to just keep going!

I remember my first realization that Kreia wasn't quite on the up-and-up. And I thought, "Oh, how clever am I to figure this out!" LOL At the time, I wasn't even playing the game. I was driving home from work, thinking about the game and it dawned on me that she was quite a stinker, actually, and that she might be lying to me about things.

When it was all said and done, I remember thinking, "Huh?" I'd expected more of an ending. (Keep in mind, I'd not read a single forum post... didn't even know this place or any like it existed.) I thought the ending was missing so much and didn't really have a feeling of satisfaction at the end.

I'd spent over 100 hours exploring this game and developing a "team" of members. So I was disappointed that on the last planet I was all on my own. (not to mention just a wee bit intimidated/scared)

When I finished the game I just assumed that they'd left it "hanging" in place for a sequel. I didn't read until later that the game was literally unfinished. And I've since read up on that quite a bit.

But as I look back on it now I know that the way they short-changed it in the end didn't really detract from my enjoyment of the game. I had fun playing it and was totally engrossed in the story... so much so that I didn't want the game to end.

And I still don't. I've played through it maybe five times now, (having added mods and such) but when I get to that second to last planet I find myself wanting to skip over it and start over... building my team again and working with the NPC's to move the story forward.

I've usually been a 1st person shooter or strategy game kinda guy. But NOTHING has held my attention and sucked me into the story like this game did.

About half-way through TSL, I went out and bought KOTOR. I knew I wanted more. I still do! So I anxiously await the product of the Gizka team's efforts. But even more, I look to a KOTOR III which I hope is somewhere in a pipeline.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

LOVE THIS STUFF!!

theres just nothing beter then running about with a light saber 1/2 naked ladies and being a jedi. i just love LOVE kotor that was about the best game ever beating out fallout for me. and the same thing for me happened when fallout 2 came along with TSL they spent and i mean OE they spent a year looking inward as in looking at your character and even your party and your skills and such as opposed in my view instead of lookign out. by that i mean they spent a year and i wont say all but they looked and put that time into you adn your party, so my guy now can hit 50th lvl have 1000 hp 50 def ect ect ect as in fallout 2 was the same thing your character and party were virtual supermen, heh ya know as im writing this i bet there is fallout mod places humm well i only found this site and TSL and kotor mods 3 weeks ago and have been re playing both games for 3 weeks now...

but i regress, the point is they spent a year and aye great bunch modders at one spot at one time that cant use anything from kotor 1, odd that nearly everything in 1 is in TSL already, they really jsut copy the game themselves, which imho why i think lucas folks cut them off. my point being that i agree with everyone here about the best part of kotor and all its glory was its story all its things, everything that was great about the game had nothing to do with the inv screen or the level up screen, ya those are good but the greatness was everything else ).

but i dont mean to say TSL or in that matter fallout 2 were bad terrible worthless, cause o course heh after i type this im back to try more mods i got from ya all generous great folks and see what they do, yes i do like the upgrade bench and the lab bench ) but again all they do is make my guy tougher. But i do mean that to call this TSL Sith lords?? i dunno who named it Sith lords but there idea of Sith to me is like a 10yr school bully, taking lunch money from lil girls to get DS pts, to me there was no evil there just hey gimmmi yur lunchmoney or else. im trying to think off top my head what was the most evil thing you did...5 min later got nothing since this post way to long already sry fer that but my 2 dollars and some change

kdsphantom

• 1 month later...

After not so patiently waiting 8+ months to play Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords I have to confess that I wasn't completely unaware of what the storyline would be. I tried to avoid spoilers but I found it difficult to do so. So before I played the game I unfortunately already knew who the end boss would be and I had some understanding of how the influence system worked. Other than those things though I still didn't really know all that much about The Exile storyline. So that being said...

I don't think I have much to say that hasn't already been said. The game's ending left me with an unsatisfied feeling in my gut, the generally expressed reaction of, "Huh, that's it?" that so many others have voiced. I installed the TSL 1.0b patch and the hi-quality audio patch for my first play-through (passed on the movie patches) but the game was still glitchy in certain maps, like on Nar Shadaa in the living modules and on the first map of Dantooine. The video display would get all herky-jerky and made me fear that the game would crash. All the rest of the maps played fine for me though and the game only crashed a couple of times in 60 hours of gameplay.

I thought the TSL storyline compelling albeit underdeveloped. Why did the HK droids all of the sudden drop out of the story? I don't recall any additional references or appearances to the HK units after Telos and that seemed odd to me. Obviously this is where many would tell me about the cut Droid Planet but I'm just stating my first impressions here even though I'm already aware of existing discussion about cut content and the general "unfinished" tag the game has received. Like I said, I'm probably not saying anything that hasn't already been said by someone else. So I guess I'll just summarize my personal pros and cons for TSL...

PROS

1) Improved combat animations - I liked that they added a greater variety of fighting moves for the characters to utilize

2) Influence system - made the game much more realistic in that the PC could influence others around them for good or bad.

3) Prestige classes - definitely cool to have the PC as an elite Jedi.

4) Robes - a big improvement over the KotOR versions.

5) Gameplay complexity - lightsaber forms were a nice touch although which one the PC used after level 20 didn't seem to make a big difference in the outcome of combat situations. Being able to build weapon upgrades and then use those to upgrade many weapons picked up or purchased during the course of game play was also enjoyable. And I liked that the lightsaber had a lot more in the way of upgrades this time through.

6) Lightsaber rarity - lightsabers seemed harder to come by in TSL and I liked that. Not a whole lot of Jedi left so to me it stands to reason that there wouldn't be many lightsabers floating around.

CONS

1) Hole-ridden storyline - I still have a lot of unanswered questions about things that occurred in The Exile's past that I would like answered. Maybe I won't feel this way if I play the game thru a couple more times.

2) Interaction with NPC's - not as well done as in the 1st KotOR. For example, I don't know what happened with Bao-Dur but I couldn't seem to trigger any additional dialog scripts after his big part in constructing a special item for my PC even though my PC spoke with him on several occasions after that thru the rest of the game. Why that was I don't know.

3) Gameplay complexity - trying to ensure my party was using the correct combat settings/lightsaber forms for the combat situation took away from the game some. Also figuring out what upgrades I could use with what items took more time than I really wanted to spend. At the beginning of the game it wasn't a problem because there wasn't many upgrades available and my PC didn't have enough skill points to build many of them. As the game progressed towards the latter stages however I found myself spending considerable time trying to figure out what the best upgrade combos were for my weapons/armor/robes and I felt that detracted from the gameplay experience.

4) Broken Quests - The fuel source for Telos being one. Another occurred when I didn't initally kill the Exchange guards on Nar Shadaa and the game wouldn't let me complete the related quest after that.

5) Ending - aside from the general feeling that the ending left something to be desired...

I don't understand how the Ebon Hawk crashed hard on Malachor V, fell down a deep canyon, and then was there to whisk the Exile safely away after Malachor V exploded. Oh and why did Malachor V explode anyway? Did Bao Dur's Remote trigger the mass shadow generator after all? If so I must have missed that. Or was it the death of the final "Sith Lord" that shook the foundations of the planet and caused it to destroy itself? The ending just didn't play along very believable lines IMHO.

I do hope LucasArts commissions the development of KotOR 3. Obsidian Entertainment would be a good choice for developer IMO but if KotOR 3 does go gold I hope that LA takes the opportunity to fill in some of the gaps they created with TSL. I'll certainly buy KotOR 3 to find out if and when the game is released. TSL provided some disappointment but I still pulled a couple of all-nighters to finish the game, simply because I enjoyed playing the game in spite of its weaknesses.

Great game awesome features... very dissapointed with ending and things that werent in it. I was sitting at my screen going... wait wait what... thats it. I waited until it returned me to the title screen and Im just like... thats thats it... what about the ending? what about remote/goto? what about finding the HK 50s? What about Mira and Hanharr? What about the rest of the crew.... thats thats it. But the influencing party members, being able to train them, T3 being R2y, Mandalore, and many many others things were very awesome.

First impressions of the game, people. First impressions of the game called Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords. If you want to post about something other than your first impressions of TSL then please start a thread elsewhere in the forums. Don't contaminate this thread... :tsk:

• 3 weeks later...

I received K1 (PC) for Christmas last year, and since I hadn't played any video games in oh, about forever, I was amazed at how the game field had developed (hey, I played Atari when I was a kid), and I was blown away by the game. I enjoyed the graphics, the story, the adventures. After spending way too many hours on the game all Jan/Feb, I eagerly awaited K2. Like any sequel, there were parts I really liked and parts I thought could use improvement.

Things needing improvement:

1. The ending. It didn't have the same epic conclusion feeling as K1 because of being incomplete.

2. There was no romancing. Some people think it's kind of cheesy, I thought it was fun to make the characters fall in love.

3. The overall tone was much darker. Some people like that, I prefer my SW films/games to have happy "I just saved the entire universe!" endings.

4. I wanted Darth Nihilis to be tougher to beat.

5. I didn't like Malachor V--It's not fun to quest without your friends!

6. No Jolee!

Things I liked:

1. Kreia drove me crazy and fascinated me all at the same time. I enjoyed the complexity.

2. The other characters were just as interesting in K2 as the ones in K1.

3. It had times of humor just like K1

4. HK was even funnier.

5. Influence system was cool

6. I liked being able to make my companions Jedi (OK, I used RedHawke's Jedi mods for K1, too! :D )

7. The ability to break down items and make other stuff was really great. It gave me more incentive to put some points into various skills and make sure to develop the other characters.

8. Prestige classes are cool.

9. Some of the new/modified Force powers were spiff.

10. It was interesting to play different characters from time to time.

11. Random loot kept things interesting (or drove you nuts if you got 4 of the same things in a row ;P ).

K2 didn't have quite the same 'wow' factor for me as K1, but I went into K1 with no expectations, and for K2 I had pretty high expectations, and that could have been the difference. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Restoration project does for K2.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got TSL. Typical me, I started modding right after I started the game. (I want a custom pc head - it definately improves my game enjoyment.) I'm very disappointed with the fact that Obsidian has actually DECREASED the quality of the models by removing vertices. One might think that a sequel would be of better quality - at least thats how it usually works. Course if I didn't want to dig into the game mechanics, I probably wouldn't care.

As far as the story line - well I just left Peragus, so I don't know yet.

• 4 weeks later...
They where making Kotor III allready..

WOW, did I miss something?

I heard a LOT of rumors on KOTOR 3, but nothing I really think LA would do... If KOTOR 3 is already in developement, then which company gets to develo it?

do you really know this (like oficially) or is this just based on rumors? (I know that this isn't the right thread to post about this, but I really wanted to quote this message to find the truth about it...)

Archived