Home

My parents are driving me mad!

Darth Groovy

Help?

This is the OTHER reason I hate holidays. Dad is on vacation, my parents are CONSTANTLY planning my days off a week in advance. I love them, but they drive me nuts, my dad is a terrible driver, and my mother is a terrible back seat driver. They love each other, but they argue and yell at each other constantly to the point to where I just want to jump off a bridge and end it all.

The other day, I went with them to the movies, and by the time I got home, all I wanted was a valium and a nap.

I'm off tomorrow, and they are already making plans for "us". How do you politely or discreetly tell your parents that you need some well...."space"?

I'm thinking of volunteering for work tomorrow, just to get away from them for an extra day.

What do I do?:confused:

Originally posted by KBell

A 30 year old living on his own should be able to make his own decisions me thinks.

That is easy enough, but damn near impossible to do that without hurting they're feelings.

Like I said, my sister did something like that,(she lives with her fiance), and they obsessed over it for weeks. They even blamed him for it.

I can get out of this sure, but then they will be pissed at me for weeks, which is even worse than what I am dealing with now.

God, I hate the holidays, this "togetherness" will be the end of me. :(

Well, if you live near them this won't work.

But you can try unhooking the phone(s) locking the dorr and tunring the lights off. And just fark around the town with friends, or just go to their houses for some non parental fun :D

Hey, it may be simple but I have found that my parents usually forget about what they wanted to do with me that evening and go do something by themselves...

Hmmm, another excuse I use when they ask me to go out with them is I say, "Can't I'm go'in fish'in."

But usually my mom smacks me when I say that so... Yes kids, don't think your parents won't smack you when your older and have moved out :rolleyes:

Hoped that helped :indif:

Originally posted by Troopr-Undr-Fir

Well, if you live near them this won't work.

But you can try unhooking the phone(s) locking the dorr and tunring the lights off. And just fark around the town with friends, or just go to their houses for some non parental fun :D

Hey, it may be simple but I have found that my parents usually forget about what they wanted to do with me that evening and go do something by themselves...

Hmmm, another excuse I use when they ask me to go out with them is I say, "Can't I'm go'in fish'in."

But usually my mom smacks me when I say that so... Yes kids, don't think your parents won't smack you when your older and have moved out :rolleyes:

Hoped that helped :indif:

Good thing you can file charges :emodanc:

The best advice I can give ya grooves, is tell them the truth. If they don't understand then.. well you have misunderstanding parents :p

Ahaha, you think THEY are annoying.

Live in my house for 24 hours and you'll probably go insane.

My parents, mom in particular are the reason I stay up in my room all day with the door closed.

and apparently its normal to just randomly walk in each others room asking whats garbage and whats not and to clean up things.

Originally posted by IG-64

Good thing you can file charges :emodanc:

Why would you file charges against your own parents?

Anyways, I dunno dude. You have to tell the truth. There's no way out of it. If you say something else and they find out, they'll be hurt even more.

On an off-topic note, there are some days where my mom can't wait til I move out of the house. :p

I haven't seen my mother in five months and I haven't seen my father in 7 years so luckily I don't have that problem.

I would tell them like it is and just not have contact with them if they insist on harrassing you. That will force them to see you are a big boy who just wants to watch cartoons in you underwear sometimes.

BTP

Don't jump off a bridge, they'll jus targue on whether you should be buried or creamated. :D

Couldn't resist, sorry. ;)

Luckily, my parents don't bother me. I'm usually up in my room, they'll come in if they need something or another.

But I know where you are coming from. I think my dad just likes to argue, because if you say ONE tiny thing that disagrees with his morals, he'll go nazi on you.

Originally posted by Prime

What about your feelings?

Well said, Prime!

I have vacation that I take to match the kids each year. This year, we had a bunch of ideas, but we've all been so busy, they wanted to have a few days to just hang around the house, some times where their 30 min/day video game time wasn't enforced, some days where they could watch cartoons until 11AM and *then* worry about breakfast.

So it meant we didn't go to the movies, or the IMAX theater, or do many major things ... but we had a great time, relaxed and hung out, all had our own space and some good together time.

Let me put it to you this way - be direct & honest, but respectful. Tell them you love them and like spending time with them, but you also need your own space. *Listen* to what they have to say, and address their concerns if there is constructive dialogue. If not, ask yourself if you were polite and respectful ... and if you were, it ceases to be your problem. You then need to be even more direct and honest, and let them know that you are an adult and would like to have an adult relationship with them, but that requires them to treat you as an adult and honor your own need for space.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Well said, Prime!

I have vacation that I take to match the kids each year. This year, we had a bunch of ideas, but we've all been so busy, they wanted to have a few days to just hang around the house, some times where their 30 min/day video game time wasn't enforced, some days where they could watch cartoons until 11AM and *then* worry about breakfast.

So it meant we didn't go to the movies, or the IMAX theater, or do many major things ... but we had a great time, relaxed and hung out, all had our own space and some good together time.

Let me put it to you this way - be direct & honest, but respectful. Tell them you love them and like spending time with them, but you also need your own space. *Listen* to what they have to say, and address their concerns if there is constructive dialogue. If not, ask yourself if you were polite and respectful ... and if you were, it ceases to be your problem. You then need to be even more direct and honest, and let them know that you are an adult and would like to have an adult relationship with them, but that requires them to treat you as an adult and honor your own need for space.

Mike

listen to the responsible parent of the swamp :D

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

That is easy enough, but damn near impossible to do that without hurting they're feelings.

Like I said, my sister did something like that,(she lives with her fiance), and they obsessed over it for weeks. They even blamed him for it.

I can get out of this sure, but then they will be pissed at me for weeks, which is even worse than what I am dealing with now.

God, I hate the holidays, this "togetherness" will be the end of me. :(

Grooves, sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind. Speak with them frankly, you're 30 for cripes sake, some of that stuff you describe sounds like they still think you're 15 :p

Sit down and plan things *together* YOU volunteer/insist that you drive etc. Pick cool places to go, and do it according to your timeframe. I know its easier said than done, but it obviously is bothering you. I had to do something similar and it definitely made them back off and be more considerate rather than pushing things onto me. Mind you I dont see my parents much anymore, but it has *nothing* to do with that :p

be a man ! and believe me, when you get a woman, and she sees you lettin your parents do this to you, she will kick your a$$, and nag you to the ends of teh galaxy :(:p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Grooves, sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind. Speak with them frankly, you're 30 for cripes sake, some of that stuff you describe sounds like they still think you're 15 :p

Sit down and plan things *together* YOU volunteer/insist that you drive etc. Pick cool places to go, and do it according to your timeframe. I know its easier said than done, but it obviously is bothering you. I had to do something similar and it definitely made them back off and be more considerate rather than pushing things onto me. Mind you I dont see my parents much anymore, but it has *nothing* to do with that :p

be a man ! and believe me, when you get a woman, and she sees you lettin your parents do this to you, she will kick your a$$, and nag you to the ends of teh galaxy :(:p

mtfbwya

Heh fool!!!

there is no end to the galaxy

I gots a new idea, key up they're car. Then they have to get the body done again you see. They have to use your car as transportation. Take them to the movies, insist on paying for the tickets to a romantic smush film, then you suddenly get an "emergency call" from work and have to leave. They will stay and get eroused, make sweet love in the theatre, all while you have them under your thumb as their only means of transportation. Take them home, and for the next 9 months they are out of your hair waiting for the new arrival. And when the baby arrives you are put into second (or third) place and they forget all about the Groovmang.

Then just rinse and repeat :D

Or you can choose not to go to hell and do what the ****nuts have said above...

Your choice

:indif:

Heh fool!!!

You obviously must've been playing with yourself during your 8th grade science trip to the planetarium. Galactic borders are defined. We are of course in the milky way, there have been several identified 'neighboring' galaxies, which are of course many 1000s of light years away :D I think you're getting your galaxies and universes mixed up :D

anyway, back to the grooveski ...

mtfbwya

Heh fool!!!

I gots a new idea, key up they're car. Then they have to get the body done again you see. They have to use your car as transportation. Take them to the movies, insist on paying for the tickets to a romantic smush film, then you suddenly get an "emergency call" from work and have to leave. They will stay and get eroused, make sweet love in the theatre, all while you have them under your thumb as their only means of transportation. Take them home, and for the next 9 months they are out of your hair waiting for the new arrival. And when the baby arrives you are put into second (or third) place and they forget all about the Groovmang.

Then just rinse and repeat :D

Or you can choose not to go to hell and do what the ****nuts have said above...

Your choice

:indif:

Um, no. :indif:

Archived