Home

Mav's WIP for TSL

Mav

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is definetley what I was thinking of Mav. However if your going to build the holes in the guard rhen either the 2 you have should be alot longer or make more about the same size all the way around the guard so as to have kind of a diamond or circle pattern all on there own. I was originally talking about doing all of those effects with just a texture though so you could save the poly's for elsewhere.

@ svösh

with the MeshSmooth the poly count is only 250+ which is still a little high for a sword, but I wasn't planning on keeping the MeshSmooth I just like the way it looks for gmax screens :D Also thanks for the tips, especially the PS tip for the etching, thanks man.

@ ChAiNz.2da

Thanks for the sites, I may just have to turn Chinese into "Echani" :animelol:

@ Darkkender

Yea I was looking at the holes and I also thought they were too small so pretty much right after I posted that screen I made them bigger, but you'll see it later when I update the sword some more. And poly count isn't worrying me too much, I have a considerable amount of room to work with.

@ DarthMoeller

@ Darth Melignous

Thanks, and the sword will probably be as close to exactly proportional to the regular in game sword as possible.

Mav

Originally posted by shosey

This is great! I've been waiting for a sword just like this since modeling first became a reality!

Then I'm glad I could fulfill one of yours needs :D

And, DK is this more like the size that you had in mind..

Bigger holes

Mav

Update

Well, I've Uvmapped and skinned the sword, so this is your last chance to suggest changes before I finalize the skin and I detach the detailed polys... so last chance.. to let me know what to fix in the following screenie.

Skinned sword - 146kb

On a side note this is skinned in gmax, non-rendered, and in-game the gray will be metallic and the gold will be golden metallic.. lol... Oh and one of you photoshop masters out there.. how would I get the black on the handle to look "fabric-like" in-game??? Oh and yes the poly count was much higher than I thought, that's because the last poly count was only of the handle, not the blade, and before I did the booleans... just in case pondering minds desire to know.. anyway feedback would be much appreciated.

Mav

Originally posted by maverick187

Oh and one of you photoshop masters out there.. how would I get the black on the handle to look "fabric-like" in-game???

I would just use a simple pattern overlay.

Select your black areas of the hilt and copy it to a new layer (if you haven't already)...

Double-click the layer to get the blending options menus to show up..

Next to last option: Pattern Overlay

From there, just choose a Pattern that best fits the faux texture you want...

Be sure to mess around with the opacity and scaling to get the desired affect...

Also, don't be too literal in your choice for Patterns. I've often found that with enough tampering with the scaling.. a "cloth" or "paper" pattern makes a great brushed metal finish ;) (who'd a thunked it... hehe)...

There's also various plug-ins available for Photshop such as EyeCandy, Alien Skin or Xenoflex... but the Pattern Overlay is free and readily available since it's a built-in option for PS ;)

Just make sure that if you're using the CM_Baremetal shader, don't put "the shine" on your cloth portions of the hilt in your Alpha channel :)

Hemm....??? My two cents on the stats would be just possibly upgradable if that's not hard as a blade would be. I'm not a fan of uber stats but that's just me ;)

This will most definately be my melee weapon of choice :D period :D

Mav, have you thought of a name for your blade yet? I vote for the Mukashi Fang ;)

as for the cloth or "realistic" look to it. PM me Mav and I'll answer or tell you how to do it. It's actually very easy :D

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

Originally posted by Mono_Giganto

Just so you know, MeshSmooth causes errors when exporting the model due to ResetXForm, you'll likely have to remove that. Otherwise it looks good.

Really?? Guess I should be happy I never tried it.. hehehe..

@Mav

You can always use smoothing groups at least. Those I have used and exported successfully...

Thanks for the heads up Mono :D

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

Really?? Guess I should be happy I never tried it.. hehehe..

@Mav

You can always use smoothing groups at least. Those I have used and exported successfully...

Thanks for the heads up Mono :D

Yeah, I tried it way back when I made my E-11, it mess up the size, porportions, positioning, it wasn't even pointing in the right direction lol. I narrowed it down to MeshSmooth, after which I too began using smoothing groups/auto smooth. :)

@ M_G and ChAiNz.2da

I actually did get some modeling oddities, that I don't know how they appeared, but I removed the MeshSmooth a long time ago so I don't know why it happened.

Anyway, last night at about midnight... lol... I'm telling you all, modders don't sleep, anyway I put the sword in-game really quickly... and ofcourse with haste comes problems, but I just wanted to see it in-game, to see what I have to fix.

In-Game Screen

As you can see there are quite a few problems, there are those mysterious red spots which is odd considering there is no red in my .tga file, it could be leftovers from the model it replaced, but I don't know how since I deleted it in gmax... strange.

Then there is the warping of the character on the handguard, I don't know how I'm going to fix that, because I think it is because it isn't one solid face, due to the cutting I did while making the model, but rest assured I'll figure it out. Also I'm going to put the same effect I have on the etchings onto the gold characters, because I think the etchings look very good in-game.

Other than that I think it looks pretty good.

Mav

Archived