Home

TSL Restoration Project: website up!

TSLRP won't have it though I believe M4-78 is including it.

But it will be in a "non-restored" context, like a lot of the planet - not what the developers indended, but what we think looks shiny. It also won't be the same version you see here.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have one question, and I want to make clear that it is not to demoralise or put you guys down, but a hypothetical question:

How would you guys feel if just as you finished the project Obsidian said that they were releasing a patch that will restore the content that you have been working on?

Again I stress, this is not to put you down or step on toes, I'm just interested as to what you would do if this (which we know is unlikely bordering on impossible). Would you still go ahead and release, claiming it is of better quallity (Which it probably would be XD), or would you scrap all your hard work altogether?

Another thought for a fix would be a C++ program, sorta like a trainer that monitors and sets the values, it could be made into a launcher, then after launching the game it then monitor the addresses in memory that contain influence, and alignment data for the npc's, and the exile, and then make the proper changes.
This would be very complicated to do, for a number of reasons. There is determining where these values are stored (it won't be the same place every time the game is run), the issue of getting read/write access to the memory (short answer: can't), determining what the values stored there represent, determining when that data is valid, race conditions between the launcher and game (and resulting data corruption), determining overall game state, and so on.

it could run constantly and not effect the game at all
It would affect the game, just less so to more powerful machines. The launcher is going to have to poll the memory for changes, which would require lots of memory accesses, which means read/write collisions with the game, which means slow downs for both.

For starters.

I just have one question, and I want to make clear that it is not to demoralise or put you guys down, but a hypothetical question:

How would you guys feel if just as you finished the project Obsidian said that they were releasing a patch that will restore the content that you have been working on?

Again I stress, this is not to put you down or step on toes, I'm just interested as to what you would do if this (which we know is unlikely bordering on impossible). Would you still go ahead and release, claiming it is of better quallity (Which it probably would be XD), or would you scrap all your hard work altogether?

We would probably scrap it. However given that a while back a post was made by an Obsidian employee claiming that OEI had applied for funds to do a content patch which was summarily rejected, the probability of this hypothetical scenario is 0%.

We would probably scrap it. However given that a while back a post was made by an Obsidian employee claiming that OEI had applied for funds to do a content patch which was summarily rejected, the probability of this hypothetical scenario is 0%.

Where did you get this information from?

Yeah, I would love to see a copy of that post.

If they're going to do another patch in any way, hopefully they'll do one where you can take the GUI out of the screenshots.

I would respectfully request of any mods that read this not to remove the link as it is simply answering a question.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=32918&st=120

John Morgan - Post #132; and my credibility is not helped by the fact that he no longer seems to have the developer bar across under his name...at the time he made the post he did. Perhaps he's moved on.

Good to see that you covered your backs before starting.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You may joke, and christmas is obviously unrealistic, but I don't think it will be much longer than that.

This is still excellent news. I've been aching to do a replay of TSL sometime soon, but I could probably manage to hold it off for a few months in order to anticipate the restored content.

I can't wait to get this mod, so I'll finally play at TSL, the thing Obsidian sold me may be paired to a demo from my point of view: graphics not always good, bugs, missing quests... sounds like a beta testing demo...

Someone knows if the Peragus issue can be resolved with the restoration project? The part where the games goes wild, lags and freeze unless you look in the face of your character oblivious of what lies further down the corridor (it starts right when you get T3 to wander in the station and continues forever in that area and in the mines). It's not a hardware problem since I fulfill plenty the requirements.

You can't really comment on graphics as a form of incompletion on the developer's part. If you are playing on max settings, there's nothing wrong with the graphics, and if you're not playing on a computer that can handle max graphics, then that's not thier fault.

This is still excellent news. I've been aching to do a replay of TSL sometime soon, but I could probably manage to hold it off for a few months in order to anticipate the restored content.

I know the feeling; I've been delaying my FIRST playthrough of TSL for this mod. Finished KOTOR a while ago and loved it, but decided I wouldn't get the sequel until the restoration project was finished.

Yeah, yeah, even without the cut content I'm sure the game is probably pretty good, but still, it's the principle of the thing. I'm not buying the game till it's finished, you know? Doesn't matter to me who does the finishing.

Now at build 0.7b3 - definite progress. And according to the team that seems to suggest that all the major issues have been resolved. "0.7b1 - All content implemented. All Block, Crash and Major severity issues resolved."

http://team-gizka.org/wip.html

Good work, guys.

Q.F.E!

It's unbelievable that they managed to 'fix' Kotor 2 this quickly, with all the things broken and missing. When it's released it will be a boost for the Kotor comunity :)

Archived