Home

Graphics engine for KOTOR 3

Emperor Devon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It all falls into place...

Bioware will probably develop KotOR III and if they do, they have Unreal 3 and they're not afraid to use it!

My God, I wanna see those Star Wars characters in that engine...

*dreams of the Ebon-Hawk, HK-47 and T3-M4*

okay, now you're starting to convince me to let Bioware take the reigns back from OE. now if they can pay attention to what Valve did with facial expressions in Half-Life 2, they'll be set as far as graphics is concerned. :D

I've been gone for a little while, so I don't know if my sig still works ;D

SO, Just picture Bastila looking as sharp as Alyx Vance :D

I forgot about gears of war being Unreal, that sure looks sweet, they could use that and I wouldn't hate em.

As for the cryengine, I never thought the characters looked half as good as the environments in game,

Although they were a bunch of sweaty, tropical disease infected mercenary dudes, so that could be the problem.

Although I've never tried it, I thought Valve was supposed to be extremely modder suppported, maybe KT would be a part of the next HL :D

Just as long as it doesn't have the same motion as the first two, I hated not being able to jump over things, I could easily step over,

Some new physics is needed, but Kotor games are supposed to have exquisite environments, and to many items physicing around would clutter it up pretty durn quick.

They should use a combo of them, So they get the all round cool and gritty of what I've seen from GoW, The insane level of detail and quality characters of HL, and the miles and miles of non canyonish cryworld.

And a new engine is definitely needed, when I can run Half life 2, and Far Cry incredibly faster than Kotor.

All I can think of for now :)

IMHO, graphics should be there to enhance the gameplay. having a detailed environment is more important in other genres than RPG's since combat takes place within the environment rather than in a set of rules. but it is nice to have the graphics add to the feel of a level rather than just be kind of bland.

and i still say that more detailed characters is a bit important due to all the dialog that you'll be having throughout the game.

I am in favour of an engine change, preferably the source engine. If any of you have played half life 2, you will know that the game would be nothing without the realism of the characters in the game. Its almost creepy how real Alyx looks at you, like when she thinks you cant see her and she looks at you out the corner of her eye, or winks at you when you enter Dr Kleiner's lab.

Imagine the next KotOR with this sort of character realism, the game experience would be so much more immersive with the ability to pose the face and the smooth animations achievable with an engine like source. The lightsaber combat could look a lot more like the recent movies with smooth and lifelike attack animations. It really pains me when I see the cutscenes in KotOR 2 sometimes when you can see the obvious start stop nature of the animations, for example, Visas on Nihilus' ship, she is meditating, then she stands up, stays there for a second or two (looking vacant) then walks off. Or in the battle with Nihilus, and he is down at half health, the game stops for a conversation with visas, and everyone is standing normally (IN THE MOST ANTICIPATED BATTLE OF THE GAME!). Its these things that make me long for the scripted scenes similar to half life.

The other reason for thinking source would be a good choice is its already amazing graphics engine and the physics engine. I am not saying that the game levels should be cluttered with moveable crates and boxes, but It would be a great addition to make use of it in certain force moves enhancing the gameplay, for example, force push someone into a nearby object to achieve a small damage increase, or as in Episode 3, force lightening can throw them back (alla Palpatine) if your stats are high enough, making use of the ragdoll and physics capabilities.

All in all, I just think that with the same engine and graphics from previous games, the game will get very boring. A new engine will alow for so many new enhancements to level design, character creation and just the overall quality of the game.

P.S. The new engine would allow for lifelike breasts...think of the mods :)

Archived