who likes My Chemical Romance?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. who likes My Chemical Romance?

• They're Totally Awsome
    • They're Okay
    • They Suck
    • Whats a MCR?
    • Who the hell cares?

Heh, I still think this one is the best.

"Wah, she never loved me, I always thought she was beautiful but I could never tell her cuz I'm all insecure so I gotta sing a song about it so I can make lots of money, causing lots of beautiful girls to want to **** me but I still sing songs about how I'm all alone and unloved and how I think about suicide sometimes cuz I can't get anywhere in life cuz I'm all neglected and stuff."

:)

I stand, or sit, as it were, corrected.

I'll have to remember that one, as well.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, thanks! I still need to hear more of it seeing as how I haven't heard of most of the bands listed in that article. However, something struck me as I was reading this....

Purist punk fans also accuse emo of being too "soft" and sappy, unlike regular punk which is more angry rather than emotional, emo tends to express anger from a more emotional (and one could argue, somewhat childish) viewpoint. Hardcore punk fans are usually anti-emo because of this. In addition, rock purists, alternative-rockers, classic Metal fans, among others, dismiss emo for similar reasons, there has been an ever increasing "resistance" to emo from these fans, and anti-emo weblog communities have appeared.......

........"Emo" continues to develop and expand in unpredictable ways. As with punk rock, the term "emo" may persist for years to come and evolve into even more styles and sounds. As the old proverb says, "History is written by the victors," and it remains to be seen which version of the genre will be accepted as the popular consciousness of "emo".

Sounds kinda like the response to Disco in the late 70s/early 80s. And now look at us...a lot of us Disco-hating metalheads now have "Staying Alive" somewhere in our MP3 collection. Go figure. Perhaps Emo will be with us like that in 20+ years.

Meh, it's quite different. People said that of many styles of music.

However, modern emo fans follow a geekish template of clothing and crying alone in a corner and whining about everything and nothing.

I know a few emos. I have a close friend who's emo. Always whining about how his life sucks, blablabla, how people don't understand him, how he's always abandoned. Yet we're here for him. We try to cheer him up but it's always back into the corner of "I'm going to end in an asylum!", "People don't understand what I'm going through!", etc.

At a certain point, you just want to help him by putting your fist into his face.

Meh, it's quite different. People said that of many styles of music.

However, modern emo fans follow a geekish template of clothing and crying alone in a corner and whining about everything and nothing.

I know a few emos. I have a close friend who's emo. Always whining about how his life sucks, blablabla, how people don't understand him, how he's always abandoned. Yet we're here for him. We try to cheer him up but it's always back into the corner of "I'm going to end in an asylum!", "People don't understand what I'm going through!", etc.

At a certain point, you just want to help him by putting your fist into his face.

Personally, I fit into the Whats an MCR? category. But I do find the Anti-emo sentiment very interesting. Nobody likes a whiner...sure... but nobody likes a shallow, callous bastard either. 'Whining' indicates a problem of some sort(as does intolerance). But to resent the whiner because you don't know how to help fix the problem??? Doesn't that lend support to the whining? Isn't this the same progression that leads people to shake crying babies? As far as I can see "emo" sucks, but anti-emo sucks just as much, if not more. Much of modern music has abysmal lyrics, at best. If you don't take on the lyrics as a fashionable life-model, then music is just music... to each his own. If you enjoy music for its escapist value then Weird Al is probably a better choice, at least with his lyrics, its usually just silliness. I get that this is a label for a 'scene' but isn't all music 'emo', fundamentally? ...And, isn't it a disservice to aggravate an emotional state without idealizing it? Art imitates life, and this issue indicates some legitimate problems with people. Empathy is a good thing... and a prominent lack of social empathy makes life suck even more.

Thanks for the education. I didn't really expect it from a 'who likes my fav band' thread.

btw- if 'emo' does aggravate stress/depression, then theres lots of evidence showing that it probably would contribute to physical decline that would encourage maladies like cancer... as facetious as the comment may have been. (as would Clapton, Queen, AC/DC, John Denver, and Mozart, etc.)

Except they're whining because life doesn't go their way. Your daddy didn't buy you the car you wanted? Aww, too bad. The girl you lust for doesn't share the same feeling toward you? Aww, too bad. Emo is not a social commentary, it's taking advantage of teenagers natural angst brought on by rapid increase in hormones causing feelings of alienation.

And no, not all music is emo.

Except they're whining because life doesn't go their way. Your daddy didn't buy you the car you wanted? Aww, too bad. The girl you lust for doesn't share the same feeling toward you? Aww, too bad. Emo is not a social commentary, it's taking advantage of teenagers natural angst brought on by rapid increase in hormones causing feelings of alienation.

Wow thats the best disciption i've heard of emo and its spot on as well.

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't pose an exception to my comments. If they are whining about something unduely, then there is a legitimate problem with their world-view, for example. And the response "aww, too bad." does absolutely nothing to constructively address that. I should also clear up that I wasn't saying that the emo-core phenomenon was, in and of itself, a social commentary, but that the emo/anti-emo dynamic illustrated a social issue. That being, a fundamental lack of empathy in society.

As for taking advantage of teenage angst, I don't doubt that a bit, but again taking advantage is itself a result of a lack of empathy in society.

and again... I realize that "emo" is used to describe a particular musical genre, but the name comes from the fact that this genre is typically excessive in its expression of especially intense emotional issues. That being said, all music is emotionally expressive, if not to an 'excessive intensity'. Or else what compels one to tap their feet, etc. in REACTION to music?

But it's not a matter of lack of empathy, everyone goes through that stage in life. The kids just need to snap back into reality and realize life is not always what you want. Spending your time whining about it, and only whining about it is not constructive and does nothing more than remind you that things don't go your way.

Emo isn't just about emotional expression.(note: it's only selected range of emotions, sadness and it's offshoots.)

All it is, is whining. And add in the fact that the music is mostly composed of powerchords and poorly done rhythm, you pretty much lose all real artistry in it. It's essentially like banging on the wall when you're angry. Sure it's emotional output, but it's hardly art.

Essentially it is like listening to a recording of a 4 year old bitch that he didn't get chocolate pudding. Add in some guitar and drums, bit of bass and you have yourself emo.

And it's not that I lack empathy, but rather I think your father has better things to spend money on, like food. Rather than buying you a brand new mercedes over the econo-box he actually got you. I'm sorry some chick doesn't want to have sex with you, but she has the right to say no.

Archived