Home

Readme File Format: PDF, Word, etc...

The Source

Readme File Format: PDF, Word, etc...

I know I asked this several months ago, and I cannot find the thread. However, I have been working on the readme file, and found that it would be hard to seperate categories with a primitive text application. Other words, you can't make the fonts stand out, so you know important headings and subheadings. Since my readme file is five pages long, I need to create a hirearchy of importance.

My question:

Would it be wise to create a readme file in:

MS Word?

PDF Format?

Browser Format?

Etc...

Your thoughts?

I'd prefer it to be in just a .txt as it opens faster even on my AMD Athlon 64 3400+ with 1Gb of ram word still takes a longer time to load up than a .txt file. I like speed! I don't want to wait around! But pdf looks better. But I'd have to stick with .txt

You could write your file in RTF, which allows you to use various font faces and sizes, bold and italic styles, etc. It is somewhat slower to open than straight ASCII text, but nowhere near as slowly as PDF. Both WordPad and MS Word can read/write this format.

HTML is a good second choice, especially if you need tables or embedded images.

Yes, html is definitely a good choice as well as .txt and .rtf as everyone can view them. Don't go fancy with .pdf and .doc. Readmes should be easy to use and quick to open. You're distributing a game mod, not the whole game, so keep it simple and practical ;)

Unless the readme is relatively short, I like to use html as it allows you to make an index and link to the various topics in your readme.

LOL who cares unfortunately most people never read it anyways :rolleyes:

On average most pm’s I get ask me questions I have answered or stated in my read me's.

It’s about as annoying as some one complaining they can do a better job then your mod

Yet have never touched the tools and have zero know how in computers or any of the game editing disciplines

But still complain about the work you did for free .. and have the nerve to not read about the mod.

For some thing that long I would say .RTF as well, every windows user has wordpad and it’s not as

much of a hog as MS word is and you can change font faces size and all that formatting jazz ;)

svösh

Mac, I'd say go with rtf or html... but that's just me! :D

Though I too am tempted to use free_money.rtf on my next readme as well! ;)

On average most pm’s I get ask me questions I have answered or stated in my read me's.

Same here, it is amazing the number of people who ignore the readme files.

It’s about as annoying as some one complaining they can do a better job then your mod

Yet have never touched the tools and have zero know how in computers or any of the game editing disciplines

But still complain about the work you did for free .. and have the nerve to not read about the mod.

*Nods head in agreement*

LOL who cares unfortunately most people never read it anyways :rolleyes:

For some thing that long I would say .RTF as well, every windows user has wordpad and it’s not as

much of a hog as MS word is and you can change font faces size and all that formatting jazz ;)

svösh

That's why my mod description on pcgm is always the same as the readme ;)

Archived