Home

Vehicle Transportation

RobQel-Droma

While there is a thread about mini-games, I don't think I've seen one specifically about this. Basically, this is a thread for the thoughts on being able to fly/drive/float/however-it-gets-around some kind of vehicle or creature. Riding a Bantha across the Dune Sea instead of having to walk in K1, or actually flying that airspeeder yourself on Nar Shaddaa in TSL. Using those swoop bikes for more than just racing- saving some time in between places without using Force Speed.

Of course, this kind of goes along with my idea of having a lot bigger planets and terrains to explore and wander in, to really get the feeling of the place being an actual planet. These vehicles would cost money, of course, but they might be worth it in the long run.

And as for space battles: While I think we are going to get the Ebon Hawk sometime in the game, it might be a little bit. So, if you are a Jedi, or even still just a soldier or something, wouldn't you have a starfighter that you might have to fight in during a battle in the story? Any thoughts?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's for the novelty or convienience of getting around, I'd say OK, sounds good. I'd like to pilot a starfighter on brief, dogfighting sides perhaps.

Using creatures or machines for transport in a larger world would be a nice touch. Perhaps you'd even have to aquire beast control or repair skills to be able to do this.

Yeah Rob, good stuff!

I don't want things to get too far from the RPG style...

Quoted for emphasis, and corrected for...uh...the pedants :D

Besides, spare a thought for the poor reaction-impaired, won't you? One of the reasons for playing these games is that they're a break from the endless Hack-slash-and-pow-pow-pow-style JK series...JKA in particular.

And this would also make credits usefull. I mean in kotor1 i almost didn't find any use of them at all and about tsl im not sure, as when i left peragus i had enough credits for rest of the game. You find best equips as loot anyways., So buying venichles would be great. Maybe irs not too rpgish, but well... I think it doesn't make game unrpg, now does it?

i partly agree with Darth Insidious

Did you guy actually like the.. hm i dont really know how explain that..

maybe how it feels when you control the swoop bike? for me this was just as i expected it to be in a RPG. If the game was Star Wars Swoop racers of the old republic i would be disappointed because the racing is actually just a mini game-as it is supposed to be.

And unless the devs will make the vehicle control as good as it is in Unreal Tournament 2004 (and this wont happen) i dont really want more driving/flying vehicles.

Well, there are already spots where the game turns into kind of an FPS: The turret, the swoop racing, that one on Peragus where you shoot all of those Sith troopers. That is why I didn't think it would be moving too far away. Besides, as for the ground vehicles and animals, it would be like walking- you would just go faster, and get there faster. It doesn't change the combat.

Sure it would be fun to have a starfighter, but where should you put it?

Could you dock it to the Hawk?

Program it to follow the Hawk?

Have a NPC to ride it and follow the Hawk?

If it is well done, then it would be nice.

If not, GOD NO!

For the creatures dosn't I see the point.

I doub't any of the beat a jedi with Master Speed in a race anyway.

I hate having to move in 3D. I absolutely hate it, because I suck at it (one reason I try to avoid modelling). It's incredibly difficult for me, and frankly the idea of piloting the Hawk just seems a bit...redundant.

The fighter...What would you do with it? Where would you keep it? What use is it? Those are questions To which the answers come back, methinks, as "Ermm...", "Ahh...," and "Uh, well...".

I player KotOR and TSL because I hate having to directly control. I'm bad at it, and besides which, I play with a touchpad. Which makes such ideas incredibly difficult. I've played with a touchpad for several years now, and a mouse would just feel wrong. So that's almost all the reasons I don't like the idea, aside from that it feels wrong :)

@Prime: Any time :D

I would also like to mark the occasion of 1,000 useless, silly, nonsensical and off-the-floor-wall-ceiling-and-several-light-years-from-the-box-thinking-type posts :D

If we don't want to pilot a landie, how about cutscenes as we speed from one area to the other?

No starfighters... only in cutscenes, like the awesome G-Wing that belongs to Mandalore and his friends.

I think there should be one main planet that only it has swoop tracks on... many different enviromentally-controlled tracks, faking Coruscant, Taris and things. Many swoop garages, ie. quests and Plasteel Containers, plus maybe buy a swoop? Choose a colour, buy or quest upgrades, but not too much... maybe play Pazaak for parts? Just a few thoughts. Bet on races? Could also work...

A lot of ideas seem to take the shape of KotOR 3: Galaxies.

Roaming in vehicles across vast planets, piloting Starfighters, buying upgrade for swoop bikes...

Definitaly not the good old KotOR.

Anyway, a Starfighter? How useful would that actually be? So you just fly it around for what, one mission? Maybe two? Whatever happens, it's way too low to justify getting used to the controls of a Starfighter.

I concur, starfighters are uncalled for. We can stay at renting swoops. Plus, riding around on a bantha... would breed difficulties. For the Devs I'd say.

Making a actual starfighter system would be useless... the Hawk is far better. Let's stay at the NS airspeeder system too... more Bao-Dur influence chances? lol

Darth InSidious: I know the feeling, I hate games where I have to aim and stuff... that's why I like KoTOR... and the original SWG (which now, combat is just mousing over the target and holding the left button; there isn't much more to it).

And bigger terrains to explore without zoning... would be low FPS I'd say. I really like the zoning idea in KoTOR, really helps.

Also to the starfighter idea, a even small space battle zone around a planet is not something fun. Also a Dev pain would be coding the opponents and upping the FPS of the place. They do a great job with the standard stuff, let's leave flying things to the X-Wing games and such.

Anyway, a Starfighter? How useful would that actually be? So you just fly it around for what, one mission? Maybe two? Whatever happens, it's way too low to justify getting used to the controls of a Starfighter.

The starfighter was an optional idea- I just thought that perhaps if you didn't get the Ebon Hawk at the beginning of the game, you might start off flying a starfighter once or twice. Besides, you could always have an option to not have a starfighter battle- or perhaps the devs just leave it out completely. It was just an idea.

Sure it would be fun to have a starfighter, but where should you put it?

I concur, starfighters are uncalled for. We can stay at renting swoops. Plus, riding around on a bantha... would breed difficulties. For the Devs I'd say.

Making a actual starfighter system would be useless... the Hawk is far better.

The fighter...What would you do with it? Where would you keep it? What use is it? Those are questions To which the answers come back, methinks, as "Ermm...", "Ahh...," and "Uh, well...".

This wasn't really what I was talking about. See my above post: It was in the possiblity that you might be flying a different ship than the Hawk for around the first quarter of the game or so. When you got the Hawk, you would lose the fighter, it wasn't some add-on to the EH. But as I said also, I could live without it, I don't really care about that part of my idea.

A lot of ideas seem to take the shape of KotOR 3: Galaxies.

Roaming in vehicles across vast planets, piloting Starfighters, buying upgrade for swoop bikes...

And your point is?

For the creatures dosn't I see the point.

I doub't any of the beat a jedi with Master Speed in a race anyway.

The point is, you could go around as fast as Force Speed without using the force. If you aren't a Jedi at the beginning of the game, this would help with the time it takes to move around- it would benefit your party members too, if you are on a mission like the Freedon Nadd tomb and you can't do Force Speed.

Especially with areas like Tatooine in K1. Even if that is the biggest the areas get up to, it still was a major pain to try and get from one side to the other. That was why it might be nice to have a speeder or a beast. Besides, this wouldn't change the combat system; just give you a faster way to move around.

In fact, with all of this, you really aren't forced to use it. You could just run at force speed, if you want, it doesn't change the way the game works.

player KotOR and TSL because I hate having to directly control. I'm bad at it, and besides which, I play with a touchpad. Which makes such ideas incredibly difficult.

But that doesn't have anything to do with moving around on a speeder or riding on a beast. That would only be a problem for the possible starfighter, and that is probably the lowest on this list, leave it out for all I care. The rest does nothing more than what you already do- use four keys to control which direction you move. No difficulty there.

Archived