Home

Ummmm, this sucks...

BongoBob

My not-even-a-year-old DS decided that now that I finally got Metroid Prime: Hunters, that you know what, I don't need the shoulder buttons. No reason whatsoever, the shoulder buttons just stopped working. In one gamesession. Perfectly fine, then 20 minutes later, no shoulder buttons.

Thankfully, it's still under warrenty and I can finally fix the dead pixel problem on mine. It's annoying sometimes : |

Anyhow, anybody else have any good/bad warranty repair experiences?

Working as a manager in a video game store, I can say with proof, that Nintendo has hands down the absolute best customer service around. I have given out the customer service number to people with DS problems, only to have the customer call back minutes later, and tell me that they were getting an entire system replacement. Happy customers= good long term business. :)

My Rio Carbon won't break....

It has floated overnight in Capri Sun

gotten milk spilled on it

dropped too many times to count

I've played complex xylophone solos with it

and it still works like a charm.

On the other hand, my friend's iPod broke for the fifth time this month for no apparent reason. He always sends it back to Apple, and they fix it because he has a warranty.

Bleh, Zen Micros have had one weakness, and that is their earphone jacks. If you tug at it, bend the plug in the jack a bunch it can damage it and it would eventually stop working. I got mine to get the music to stop whenever I touched my plug. I had to pay $40 to get it fixed (well, a new one actually) because it has a 90 day warrenty on service and a 1 year warrenty on parts. What sucks is that it started to happen in the 90 day warrenty but I ignored it until it was too late.

But now I'm happy and I'm careful not to put too much stress on it.

My XBOX stopped playing DVDs and loading times on games were really really really long. It happened right around Thanksgiving of '04. I called and they never sent me the stuff I needed to ship it to Microsoft so eventually, I just went to Best Buy and they gave me a whole new system. I was without it until late January though because Xmas took out their supply for the longest time.

Oh, and by far the worst customer service ever made? Anyone ever a member with AOL? 'Nuff said ;)

My XBOX stopped playing DVDs and loading times on games were really really really long. It happened right around Thanksgiving of '04. I called and they never sent me the stuff I needed to ship it to Microsoft so eventually, I just went to Best Buy and they gave me a whole new system. I was without it until late January though because Xmas took out their supply for the longest time.

Oh, and by far the worst customer service ever made? Anyone ever a member with AOL? 'Nuff said ;)

When I called to cancel my AOL subscription they were quite helpful :p

Warranties aren't always sufficient. My parents had a 4-year old Frigidaire freezer stop working. It was still under a 5-year warranty, so they called a Frigidare-approved repairman out. After a month of monkeying around with it, the repairman said it was unfixable, as there was a blockage in the condenser coil. My older brother asked if they could blow it out with compressed air, and they said they couldn't.

My parents called Frigidaire to get a replacement, and found out that all they could get was a discount on a new Frigidare freezer, because it was only a repair warranty. They weren't very happy with Frigidaire, so they bought a Maytag freezer instead.

My younger brother was in school for HVAC (heating/ventilation/air conditioning) and refrigeration, so a week or so later he took the dead freezer to class. They used compressed air to clear the blockage in the condenser coil(like my other brother had suggested), refilled it with freon, and it worked! Since we had already bought the Maytag, we sold the Frigidaire. So we lost $40 for a service call, $100 for dry ice, and bought a new freezer just because the repairmen were incompetent.

Well the thing with repair people is that they are meant to be crappy. i used to work for an independent washer/dryer repair company and the guys from Sears would toy with the machine for a bit and say that it couldn't be repaired and give the customer a coupon for a new one. Yeah, we repaired a lot of stuff that "couldn't be repaired".

Archived