Home

Pop or Rock?

Fealiks

Techno or Metal?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Techno or Metal?

• I like the rave, I'm retarded!
    • I have a taste in music. Rock is better.

An age old question. Sort if. Trying to prove that metal is by far better than dance, I asked loads of people at my school wether they liked techno, dance, hip hop, drum n bass, r&b etc better than rock, metal etc. To my dispair most people said that "rave" is better, which is just wrong. Apperently DJ Sammy is "really f*ckin good so you better shut up". Ok. Now its your turn. Which one do you like better?

By pop, I didn't mean pop, I meant dance. I suppose in this poll pop falls into the rock category.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Well. i like some pop, but hip hop(other than beastie boys) is complete s*** . And all that emo music sucks too. Like my icon says 'Only losers Panic! at the Disco'

Rock kicks butt. I'm listning to the bestest rock band ever right now.

yeah Im listening to System of a Down - Forest which f*cks "an hour and a half of the same drum loop" right in the eye.

...Well. i like some pop

apperently Blink-182 have been classed as pop before so I guess I like some pop too...

I'm listning to the bestest rock band ever right now.

Queen? Guns n' Roses? Metalica? Iron Maiden? System? Some other band?

A quick look at my last.fm profile reveals my top ten bands to be:

1 King Crimson

2 Jefferson Airplane

3 The Doors

4 Grateful Dead

5 Hawkwind

6 Pink Floyd

7 Black Sabbath

8 Deep Purple

9 The Velvet Underground

10 Iron Butterfly

Which are as you can see, exclusively rock bands (or as Remi proclaims, 'drug bands'.) However there are no clear boundaries in music. Jefferson Airplane were the height of pop forty years ago, as were The Doors. Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath haven't ever really been 'pop' bands in the sense we all assume, but they are wildly popular bands. The only band on my list that is anything resembling obscure would be King Crimson, and even then in the right circles they'd qualify as mainstream.

And to be honest, I've never been to a rave that I didn't enjoy. So I can't vote.

Wait, is that poll "Pop vs. Rock", "Techno vs. Metal" or "Rave vs. Rock"? Also, what do you mean by "Rock" (real Rock or the Pop-stuff the MI calls "Rock")?

Anyway, /me is listening to "Dimmu Borgir - Blood Hunger Doctrine"...

And to be honest, I've never been to a rave that I didn't enjoy. So I can't vote.

Vote damn you!

By the way when I said "pop or rock" I didnt mean pop I meant dance and stuff. Just a play on words... Get it? Pop Rocks? Yeah... I'm a retard.

The vote would be better if it were a list of 'key' bands and you could choose which ones you liked, and then based on which ones you clicked it could be ascertained whether you had a good taste in music or a bad one. I know that's impossible on these boards, but something like;

The Spice Girls

David Bowie

Metallica

Nirvana

Coldplay

Maroon 5

Boney M

etc. etc. with an option for 'more esoteric than this' in case twilo is around.

Fealiks fails at making polls. Polls should be clear for one, and unbiased for another.

I refuse to vote. I will, however, have input. Some techno music is pretty cool, but so is metal. For another thing, don't classify Metallica as rock anymore. It's metal. Old rock is good, new rock is decent, so long as it's punk. The Offspring rocks, no pun intended.

Calling somebody retarded or wrong for enjoying music that you don't is pretty lame. The world is full of opinions, and music happens to be the subject that everybody can have one on.

That said, I'd go with rock if given the choice, although there's really no limit to the type of music that I can enjoy assuming that it's well written and performed.

Calling somebody retarded or wrong for enjoying music that you don't is pretty lame. The world is full of opinions, and music happens to be the subject that everybody can have one on.

You do know I was joking, right?

Fealiks fails at making polls. Polls should be clear for one, and unbiased for another.

I refuse to vote.

An example of your average Ye Olde Harbour poll :p

Back on topic though Im still listening to System, since I started listening about an hour (or more) ago... madness...

Queen?

Hellz yeah. I'm wearing a Queen t-shirt too. All those stupid preppy kids and emo kids are always asking me "who's Queen? Are they some band or somthing." Same with other rad bands too, like The Who and The Brian Setzer Orchestra(even though their pretty much swing-ish)

Well, if we're talking about rave and dance music then indeed, I truly hate it with a passion (I have friends... well, a friend who likes it and takes pleasure in playing it whenever I go round her place just to watch my eye twitch).

Oh, and of course I love Rock for all obvious reasons and a few inobvious ones.

As for straight out pop... well... I can listen to it without getting the desire to rip my ribs out of my chest and use them to puncture my ear drums (but then I always carry around a couple of knives for just such and occassion... now am I joking?), in fact some of it can sometimes be downright good. But rock just has that certain way with me (who am I kidding, every so often I'll listen to mellow music just to chill out to but oddly enough, not chillout music becuse that's just way to close to dance)

You should slap anybody who hasn't heard of Queen. You cant Google search for The Who ("THE" is a common word and will not be included in your search. "WHO" is a common word and will not be included in your search.)

Google doesn't recognise "Who" as a common word, even just Googling "who" comes up with the World Health Organization.

I make a crap sarcastic joke and three people believe that I was being serious...

Then, inevitabley, at least two of those people will claim that they didn't really believe me and at least one will be telling the truth.

Anyway, Joshi, as you said I don't really mind pop either, I continue to stress that I didn't mean "Pop or Rock", I meant Dance "or Rock". "Pop or Rock" just sounder better.

Um I think we all know which one I voted for.

Here are the Top 10 most played songs on my iPod:

1. Miracle - Cascada

2. Everytime We Touch - Cascada

3. Bad Boy - Cascada

4. Stickwitu - Pussycat Dolls

5. Beep - Pussycat Dolls

6. Beautiful Love - The Afters

7. SOS - Rihanna

8. Me & U - Cassie

9. Move Along - All-American Rejects

10. Buttons - Pussycat Dolls

And I just have to include number 11.