Home

Exile Female (CANON)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh its by canonized now, I just got my chroonloy of droids today and it said Exile is Female and its an official star wars book. Damnit!

Just quoting this so people stop asking if anyone has the book and actually take time to read the thread. BSW says they have the book and it confirms that the "Exile" is female.

Alright then. Now, in my opinion, there are three ways to handle the Canonical Exile being female. One: take it like a man (accept it and move on), or two: take it like a n00b (rant about it every chance you get), or three: take it like a man the other way(punch yourself in the crotch until you can't remember a thing). I strongly recommend the first option, as people are much more likely to listen to reason. And hey, at least the Exile is still LS, right?

Well, actually LS Female Exile is not bad either, just that the story will be more "bleak"

The plus side would be a "sisterhood" for Mira.

The downside would be the loss(practically, unless canon story is slightly modified from gameplay) of wonderful character like Brianna/Handmaiden.

The worst worst worst part would me air-time for that ronto buttock licker jediphile stalker leaving his disgusting slime on the Ebon Hawk. They should just tie him up with a rope and dangle him behind the thrusters all the way.

Just to back up BastilaShanWeb's statement, I stopped by my local bookstore and read the entries for GOTO, T3, and HK droids in The New Essential Guide to Droids. All three referred to the Exile as a female. Surprisingly enough, someone posted the quotes from NEGD on the wiki article's discussion tab. It's good to see this type of improvement in the citing of sources from wiki contributors.

Three NEGD quotes (emphasis mine):

"Five standard years later, T3-M4 reappeared aboard the abandoned freighter Ebon Hawk, where he fell into the company of the heroine known only as the Jedi Exile."

"HK-47 teamed up with the heroine known as the Jedi Exile to battle a trio of Sith Lords."

"G0-T0 soon became mixed up with an exiled Jedi Knight and her mission to destroy the Sith Lords."

I'm not really interested in that era, and I've never played the games. But that looks pretty much like a deliberate editorial decision to me.

So we'll have to see how this plays out in any future KotOR series storylines. I also took notice of the NEGD's GOTO and HK articles specifically mentioning the HK droid factory on Telos even though that part of TSL got cut.

Well, now I have to play a female Exile so I can learn the "real" story.
Yeah, me too. I've never played KotOR or TSL as a female. I'm not sure how it's going to work for me.

EDIT:

And I do believe that many people take the whole Revan Light Side Male thing way too far, that is a 'cannon' guide so that other EU writers can have some consistancy, not anything else.
So how do you reconcile the Chronicles' continual references to Revan using masculine descriptors (he, him) on LEC's TSL website?

So how do you reconcile the Chronicles' continual references to Revan using masculine descriptors (he, him) on LEC's TSL website?

How does this question contradict what I stated? If anything it backs up my statement.

For the record: In considering what should be "canon" for KotOR and TSL the game itself is the highest source, then the later writings, a gender for a game character is specified as a guideline for other EU writers, nothing more.

^^^

I'm not sure I really understand what you're saying so if I may restate what I believe your point is...

- KotOR and TSL are the highest sources of canon for the games, meaning since the games allow one to choose the PC's gender there is no "canon" gender for either Revan or the Exile.

- Official sources like the Chronicles posted on the official TSL website and The New Essential Guide to Droids are at a lower canon level than the game and so should not be considered to supersede the game when they state Revan is a male and the Exile a female.

If the above two statements accurately reflect what you're saying and are in line with LEC's approach for this issue then I have a problem with how LEC and LL are handling the whole gender question surrounding these two EU characters. I've noted that while there is no entry for Revan on the Star Wars website's databank, references to Revan in Malak's and Bastila's databank entries maintain gender neutrality. I don't understand then why the TSL Chronicles couldn't continue using gender neutral terms for Revan. I also don't understand why three articles in the NEGD go out of their way to make the Exile a female instead of maintaining gender neutrality.

...a gender for a game character is specified as a guideline for other EU writers, nothing more.
There are no EU writers writing stories about Revan or the Exile that I'm aware of so why set a guideline when one isn't needed? Furthermore, maintaining gender neutrality would allow the flexibility to make a decision on gender further down the road or not make a decision at all and leave the gender question open indefinitely. Of course I think leaving the "canon" gender for Revan and the Exile as undetermined limits the two characters ability to be used in books or comics.

I fully respect yours and mjpb3's (and anybody else's) decision to play your Revan or your Exile using whatever gender you choose. However when official SW sources no longer support gender neutral versions then I just take that as the powers-that-be making a decision as to which gender they want to actually go with for the SW history books.

^^^

I'm not sure I really understand what you're saying so if I may restate what I believe your point is...

- KotOR and TSL are the highest sources of canon for the games, meaning since the games allow one to choose the PC's gender there is no "canon" gender for either Revan or the Exile.

- Official sources like the Chronicles posted on the official TSL website and The New Essential Guide to Droids are at a lower canon level than the game and so should not be considered to supersede the game when they state Revan is a male and the Exile a female.

You would be correct... the same would apply for the Jaden Korr character of Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

If the above two statements accurately reflect what you're saying and are in line with LEC's approach for this issue then I have a problem with how LEC and LL are handling the whole gender question surrounding these two EU characters.

Well, they have to have a specified guideline to work with, that I have no issue with as EU writers will need this sooner or later. So the guideline is LSM Revan, and LSF Exile. The guideline doesn't supersede the game.

The reason I am pointing this out is that players like mjpb3 and myself do not like people improperly using the word 'canon' when stating that Revan has to be what LEC states it is, quite the contrary. If LEC was so concerned with this issue they would have fixed the main characters (Revan's) gender for us in the game (Not unheard of in RPG's either), and TSL would have had a female Exile and Revan fixed as lightside male no matter what.

A guideline is a neccissary evil in this sometimes silly Star Wars EU business, but the word 'canon' is misused when it comes to games like this, especially when other people state it as "Well Revan is canonically a Male Lightsider" absolute schlock, the game says otherwise, and it would have been different if this were a true 'canon' issue.

That's all I am saying, and enough from me on this. ;)

OK, RedHawke. It's good to know I finally grasped what you were saying. :)

I still think this is a nonsensical way for LucasArts/Lucas Licensing to handle this situation. Unless they're going to use Revan or the Exile in a book, comic series, or some other publication where establishing a gender would pretty much be required, then IMO there is no need to establish a guideline. I mean, having The New Essential Guide To Droids as the source that establishes the guideline for The Exile's gender? Puh-lease! :roleyess:

I guess I'm just becoming better acquainted with the inconsistencies of the EU. :giveup::snear:

So the guideline is LSM Revan, and LSF Exile. The guideline doesn't supersede the game.
Actually, any books or other media that discuss aspects of the game's story are just as much canon as the game itself. They are all c-canon.

That you should not trust a wiki wholeheartedly, regardless of what it says.
Very true, but you will note that the information from the wiki in this case was backed up by an official source.

Well, As said the Wiki thing is just a pointer. We are getting the "canonized Female Exile" from an OFFICIAL SOURCE as quoted by the wiki. And the validity of such OFFICIAL SOURCE is true, and existance of valid information is confirmed by at least some other posters.

So, the Female Exile is canonized Female not by a little Wiki but by an official book.

Actually, any books or other media that discuss aspects of the game's story are just as much canon as the game itself. They are all c-canon.

Well unless they are INFINITES. No Vader's force power does not come from his gloves, and no Skippy the Droid is not a Jedi, and no JarJar's daddy is not a seamen, and no Darkside does not give you Candies.

I don't care one way or another what is canon for both games. Revan is male, Revan is female, blah, blah, blah. That shouldn't stop you from playing the game the way you want to. Just because the Exile is now canon as a female doesn't mean you have to choose a female each time you play it, or feel guilty about choosing a male character. That is why you have a choice. We play the game the way we want to. That is why we play with mods because we play the game the way we want to with the modifications we want to happen.

If it were up to me, I really like Revan being a light sider at the end of the game. It's a really great story if he/she is redeemed and atones for past mistakes. Fixing the galaxy after making a mess out of it great story writing. Dealing with the fact that Revan lost his/her memory and had to deal with the truth of finding out who he/she is and still make the right choice at the end to save the galaxy. The Good Vs Evil at the end, going against an old friend and former apprentice to stop it all makes the story deep.

As for TSL, I love the story better if the Exile (he or she) is a dark sider. Revenge on the Jedi Masters (especially Vrook) is my favorite way of playing. Especially since they screwed you over and still try to screw you over if you are a light sider. Especially Vrook who doesn't really care what the truth is as long as your character goes down (stripping the Force away). Now, some of the Jedi didn't like what happened, but they made their choice to go along with it. It was Atris and Vrook who wanted your character gone. I say there is no way you would want to be a Jedi because of it. In fact, you want them destroyed, but at the same time you save the galaxy from ultimate destruction because Nihilus is going to do that if he's not stopped. Plus the idea of being manipulated by Kreia and wanting her dead at the end is great for the dark side story.

As for TSL, I love the story better if the Exile (he or she) is a dark sider. Revenge on the Jedi Masters (especially Vrook) is my favorite way of playing. Especially since they screwed you over and still try to screw you over if you are a light sider. Especially Vrook who doesn't really care what the truth is as long as your character goes down (stripping the Force away). Now, some of the Jedi didn't like what happened, but they made their choice to go along with it. It was Atris and Vrook who wanted your character gone. I say there is no way you would want to be a Jedi because of it. In fact, you want them destroyed, but at the same time you save the galaxy from ultimate destruction because Nihilus is going to do that if he's not stopped. Plus the idea of being manipulated by Kreia and wanting her dead at the end is great for the dark side story.

Wow, I'm convinced. =)

I had a hard time playing through as a dark-sider, could only creep a bit south of neutral, but it really does make sense for the Exile to wreak havoc on the last of the Order -- they're not really Jedi anymore, anyway. The only thing that bothers me is that you bring the rest of your party down with you -- and I just can't tolerate Atton's face getting ugly.

edit: Although I guess I can do all LS in general and just bring the hate on the Jedi masters.

Wow, I'm convinced. =)
The thing is, after playing it many times, I like the idea that my PC is torn between the light and the dark after his/her personal experiences, but when my PC sees the holo recording of the his/her trial, I start to lose it and want REVENGE! Then I want REVENGE on Kreia for playing me the whole time! "I'm here to kill you Kreia." I love it.

The only thing that bothers me is that you bring the rest of your party down with you -- and I just can't tolerate Atton's face getting ugly.
I don't like the decay look anymore. I changed that now. Especially after seeing Revenge of the Sith.

I change it now that Atton has just Sith eyes instead.

trap83ue.jpg

The thing is, only Atton shows any Dark Side Transitions in my version of the game now. Only because Bao-Dur, Mical (Disciple), Brianna (Handmaiden), and Mira freak out when you do dark side deeds, so they never truly fully embrace the dark side, no matter what the alignment says. So now they don't show transitions anymore in my version, just Atton. I would do it for Visas, but we don't see her eyes. ;)

As for my PC, same thing, just a Sith eye change also.

temp825bo.jpg

I also have Darth Sion have Sith eyes (or "eye" in his case).

sithlord65oc.jpg

That looks a whole lot better, and even attractive, as far as Sith go. I checked out some mods online with Sith eyes but most include the facial scarring or the eyes are too neon yellow. Any chance I can snag your files for Atton or give me some tips on recoloring the eyes (so I can also make up some for my PC heads)? I'm assuming with the others you don't want to have altered faces you just paste over the changed face files with the usual ones?

That's why I call the EU "silly" because the word 'canon' shouldn't really be used in regards to the EU at all. I don't know what EU rules they have now, but my admittedly old-fashioned (mid nineties) understanding is the only 'canon' for Star Wars is the Movies, the Movie Scripts, and the Radio Plays... all else is 'apocrypha'.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong here, but this is my understanding.

When I play a dark side Exile, the focus of my rage and hatred is entirely the Jedi Council. I will still help the Republic throughout the game, even on Onderon during the Civil War, but will then turn on Kavar for his betrayal of me. Pathalogically, the Exile would never do anything to harm the Republic, after all that's why he left the order to go to war in the first place, to preserve the Republic. If he were to turn against it now it would make all of his previous sacrifice in vain. I would get my revenge on the Jedi council and then save Telos from the Sith menace of Nihilus.

That looks a whole lot better, and even attractive, as far as Sith go. I checked out some mods online with Sith eyes but most include the facial scarring or the eyes are too neon yellow. Any chance I can snag your files for Atton or give me some tips on recoloring the eyes (so I can also make up some for my PC heads)? I'm assuming with the others you don't want to have altered faces you just paste over the changed face files with the usual ones?
You know, Flashblade has done a much better job than I have. At least he's done a lot more work.

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/10999.html

Try this one.

Also, if your interested in Sion having Sith eyes, I did make a mod that does that over a year ago.

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/13543.html

Bleah! Whether this is official or not, LA can't tell anyone how to play their games. Canon or no, my Exile will always be DSF, and my Revan will always be DSM.
Of course. They're not telling you how to play the game. That is the misunderstanding people are having with this whole thing.

Archived