Home

Yoda's Swamp Technical Support Center

Joetheeskimo

Try reintstalling windows?

I have a problem swampies. My comp has started f***ing up left and right. It started with AVG saying that it had a problem constently, and then random reboots. I reformatted, and went to reinstall AVG and it won't work. It either freezes, or has a bunch of errors, and won't let it shut down (i have to hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off). Now it just has problems left and right. It constantly says Generic Host Process 32 has a problem and must shut down etc etc. One time it was the windows genuine advantage that was buggin. My first thought because of the reboots was the PSU, but a fubard PSU wouldn't be causing all the application errors. So my question is does anyone have any clue in hell what's causing all these issues? CPU? Mobo? PSU? RAM?

CPU and Mobo are about 3 years old. The PSU and RAM however were bought recently (right after oblivion came out).

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try reintstalling windows?

I have a problem swampies. My comp has started f***ing up left and right. It started with AVG saying that it had a problem constently, and then random reboots. I reformatted, and went to reinstall AVG and it won't work. It either freezes, or has a bunch of errors, and won't let it shut down (i have to hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off). Now it just has problems left and right. It constantly says Generic Host Process 32 has a problem and must shut down etc etc. One time it was the windows genuine advantage that was buggin. My first thought because of the reboots was the PSU, but a fubard PSU wouldn't be causing all the application errors. So my question is does anyone have any clue in hell what's causing all these issues? CPU? Mobo? PSU? RAM?

CPU and Mobo are about 3 years old. The PSU and RAM however were bought recently (right after oblivion came out).

Try running chkdsk and check your RAM for errors (you can use the MemCheck or something like that to do this).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem some of you chaps can hopefully help me out with.

I just installed XP Service Pack 2 (I'm a slowpoke), and now my usb ports aren't working. When I try unplugging and inplugging my webcam, for example, nothing is detected by the system. This is especially a pain in the arse because my usb mouse isn't responding at all, and I have to use an extremely old and painfully crappy microsoft mouse in the meantime. A quick solution would be appreciated.

Not really Tech Support but anyways,

was thinking of following setup - still need cooling/power...

AM I DOING IT RITE?

* Case: Antec Performance P180

* Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz 4Mb socket

* 2x KINGSTON 1024MB DDR2 PC5400

* Connect3D Radeon X1900 XT 512MB PCI-E (C3D-3056)

* WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 74GB 16MB (10.000/150/5,2ms) WD 740ADFD (main disk)

* SEAGATE 160GB 8MB SATA II (7200/300) ST3160812AS

* ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Green Socket 775

* CREATIVE Soundblaster Audigy SE (i got no clue about sound cards)

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my dvd drive on my laptop. I'm using VLC to play movies and the movies skip. Even on brand new dvds. I've updated directx like someone said on the VLC forums (btw there was an update a few weeks ago). Regardless, I've tried everything I can think of. There are no driver updates for the drive itself either. Any thoughts?

Not really Tech Support but anyways,

was thinking of following setup - still need cooling/power...

AM I DOING IT RITE?

* Case: Antec Performance P180

* Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz 4Mb socket

* 2x KINGSTON 1024MB DDR2 PC5400

* Connect3D Radeon X1900 XT 512MB PCI-E (C3D-3056)

* WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 74GB 16MB (10.000/150/5,2ms) WD 740ADFD (main disk)

* SEAGATE 160GB 8MB SATA II (7200/300) ST3160812AS

* ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Green Socket 775

* CREATIVE Soundblaster Audigy SE (i got no clue about sound cards)

YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RITE.

Please don't cap off that system with a Audigy SE... get an X-Fi sound card, maybe an XtremeMusic one or something.

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my dvd drive on my laptop. I'm using VLC to play movies and the movies skip. Even on brand new dvds. I've updated directx like someone said on the VLC forums (btw there was an update a few weeks ago). Regardless, I've tried everything I can think of. There are no driver updates for the drive itself either. Any thoughts?
Try using Media Player Classic (a very barebones media player) and see if it still skips, that way you can determine if it's VLC messing up or if it's DirectShow, or something else.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad's (grrrrr always my dad's) computer won't boot. When you power it up it goes to the usual generic xp log on screen. Normally we just click on owner, and it boots up just fine. Now today for some DAMN reason, when you click on this, you get some error message window headed "Windows Product Activation" that says "This copy of windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now? [Yes/No]"

Well if you click "yes" you get another window that says the product has already been activated click "ok" to continue. You click that and it takes you back to the log in screen where you get the afore mentioned message. If you click "no" it just logs you back out again. Either way you can't log on to windows at all. I have no idea what the hell happened or how to fix this. :mad:

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Archived