Home

Have You Ever Been Retrenched From Your Job?

I've never been retrenched ever, and i have had a lot of jobs.\

They weren't that hard though, so the possibility of being retrenched wasn't that great.

My list included:

-Garbageman

-Post man

-Dog care

-Hatchery

So...quit some...'stupid' jobs imo, in which you can't do much wrong...:)

I worked *many* jobs over the years. There was only one organisation that "no longer needed me" and that was after 6 weeks.

They were a private healthcare provider (*cough*) from the U.S and hired people to deal with busy times and got rid of them soon after. This isnt the way things are done in the healthcare sector, where temporary work is usually handled by locums.

I was one of many this happened to and after our unions got onto it, these idiots got run out of the country, and workers compensated :)

Hate is a strong word, which I dont like to use, but I hate those *************. Taking advantage of hardworking nurses, doctors and therapists, just to get an extra buck.

mtfbwya

I'm still looking for a job, though I do have an interview over at the Outback their opening up. I did have a friend who came pretty close to losing his job after he spilled $20 worth of McChicken on the floor, in the end it just came out of his paycheck.

I've never actually heard anyone use the word retrenched before, but I'm assuming it means fired.

Been doing the same job since I was 14. Now I just make more money and lift heavier stuff. (sucks that I have to go back to work tommorrow, I haven't made any money lately but the time off sure is relaxing:))

I've never actually heard anyone use the word retrenched before, but I'm assuming it means fired.
retrench

v. re·trenched, re·trench·ing, re·trench·es

1. To cut down; reduce.

2. To remove, delete, or omit. - Dictionary.com

retrench

v 1: tighten one's belt; use resources carefully 2: make a reduction, as in one's workforce; "The company had to retrench" - WordNet 2.0

Yeah, I wasn't familiar with the term "retrenched" either. Based off the definition though it seems to me that retrench is more synonymous with "furlough" or "lay off" than "fire" or "terminate." Or in other words the company sends you packing because they need to cut back the number of employees instead of something one specifically did to lose one's job.

Yep. I had my first and only experience (thus far) with the pink slip back in November 2003. The company I worked for was a very small subsidiary of a Fortune 100 global shipping and supply chain management company. Initially the subsidiary was set up as a profit center, meaning we were supposed to go out, get clients and make more money than we spent. However after two years and no profit our parent company decided to change the mission of our subsidiary from profit center to cost center, meaning our function was to support the parent's needs in as cost efficient manner as possible. Unfortunately as an IT manager I was stationed in our sub's administrative HQ and the administrative HQ building was getting closed as part of the overall cost reduction process. About 20% of HQ staff got relocation offers but I was one of the 80% that got "separated" from the company. At least they offered a decent severance package of 3 months pay. I was grateful for that. In any case, I learned that if one's company isn't making a profit then one must do what one can to change that (even if one is not in a position to directly influence the company's profitability) or risk losing one's job.

Archived