Home

Is religion evil?

Dagobahn Eagle

How much do you agree to the following: "Religion does more harm than good"?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you agree to the following: "Religion does more harm than good"?

• +4 (I'm SkinWalker:p)
    • +3
    • +2
    • +1
    • 00 (I don't know, or I don't care. Or both)
    • -4 (I disagree strongly)

With all due, respect I think you're wrong. I myself am an atheist, but even I don't think religion hinders us. Yes, it would be helpful if some of the more religious people in the world didn't speak out against abortion or kill innocents, but it helped preserve civilization through the Dark Ages and by no means has stopped us from colonizing other galaxies. The whole concept of religion being responsible for that, in my opinion, is the sort of thing that could be found in tabloids. :)
Well for one, I am not an atheist.

I hate God and religion.

But to your response, that is your opinion Devon.

In my opinion, religion have been a major hinderance to society.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well for one, I am not an atheist.

I hate God and religion.

So you believe there's a God, but hate Him?

In my opinion, religion have been a major hinderance to society.

How is that so? Religion helped Europe through the Dark Ages, and some extremely compassionate people have been followers of it. Mother Teresa, for example. She committed many good deeds, in the name of religion. It's given many people a faith to look up to, and there are countless cases about the good works priests, nuns, etc have done.

I'm not saying everyone should go to church or believe in God, but I'd be fooling myself if I believed it's done more harm than good.

Hmmm, if you argue Christianity held back science for hundreds of years, then one wonders why the rest of the (non-Christian) world didn't take up the slack? Besides, the term "Dark Ages" is a political interpretation slapped on to that period by later generations who saw themselves as more enlightened. I'd hardly call later generations more civilized, even if they killed and cracked down for stated different reasons. I understand the tendancy to see a time when "religion was in charge" as "darkness" or "ignorance" but really. Anyway...

Why didn't the non-Christians keep science going?

So here's a question for the non-religious--In an age where truth is relative, how do you determine right and wrong? What makes feeding the hungry good and stealing bad? For an extreme example, a man (or woman) might say "hey, it feels right to me to physically love a 10 year old boy/girl. And if it feels right, it must be good for me. Therefore, it's right, and anyone who says it's wrong is infringing on my rights to live life the way I want." So a. how do you address that and b. how do you handle moral relativism?

First of all, one might think that a quadrozillion years of *evolution* or the 98796124th of a second of *creation* plus the couple of years as human species on this planet gave us tons of experience in how to handle things and to deal with the "right" and "wrong" issue. Some call that instincts. Besides that, "right and wrong" is something that appears as somewhat difficult to define. In fact, "right and wrong" is nothing real, nothing of importance to the pure instance of life, it does not exist as one of the essential things of the universe.

Basically, you don't need to be non-religious to do "bad things". Religions and their laws won't keep me from making physically love to children, nor is my lack of knowledge about religious texts and laws giving me the urge to do so, nor does it cause me to say it'd be totally fine if somebody did. And basically you just have to be "different" to like "unusual" things. And just because some law/rule/religious dogma says something is right or wrong, doesn't mean it actually is right or wrong, or makes sense. It may be seen as essential within the *specific* society which has set up this right/wrong rule, but may not apply to another. I'd say at least half of the religious folks won't care much about their beliefs if a "non-religion-thinger" pops up and offers/brings them better circumstances when there are bad times. Because clearly, when all there's left is the bare question to survive or not, it is not of interest anymore whether giving food/taking things/whatever is right or wrong.

However, these *basic* rules (don't kill, be nice, wipe your feet at the door), which everybody claims to be the owner of, belong to us, the human species. They evolved with us, while we were on our way to what we are now. I just cannot imagine we'd have survived, if it'd been a common to jump off a cliff after having sex. That, or we'd have developed wings :p

So a. how do you address that and b. how do you handle moral relativism?
Those are both the same question, in that how can one address moral relativity.

My personal answer is that I don't believe that morality is relative. I believe that morality stems from our ability as humans to use logic and reason to determine what is 'right' and 'wrong'.

I'm too lazy to read 6 pages at the moment - I'll read them later.

But I will say this right now: Religion, in and of itself, is not evil. Quite the contrary. Religion led to many of the greatest civilizations in history. It was the basis of the greatest empires the ancient world ever saw.

Religious Radicalism, however, is evil. If you're willing to kill innocent people for your religion, you've gone too far.

So you believe there's a God, but hate Him?

How is that so? Religion helped Europe through the Dark Ages, and some extremely compassionate people have been followers of it. Mother Teresa, for example. She committed many good deeds, in the name of religion. It's given many people a faith to look up to, and there are countless cases about the good works priests, nuns, etc have done.

I'm not saying everyone should go to church or believe in God, but I'd be fooling myself if I believed it's done more harm than good.

Yes I hate that ******, God.

I have personal reasons concerning my hatred, that I won't discuss of course.

[Watch the censor please.]

I'd say he's raised to believe in God, then something terrible, terrible happened, and now he's got an inner conflict with his belief, because how can the all loving God let that happen, to him, who was all so faithful all the time? Therefore God must have a sick sense of humour or is simply not someone you'd call a nice guy.

My advice? - Turn the other cheek.

What would SkinWalker say? - Blame the last 'Big Bang' for creating this universe and causing it all to happen.

God? - N'Yah mon, me a' de natty irie, white woman lov' da black mon, black mon big lovin mon, yah mon.

So it's back to the problem of evil then? If God exists, we would have to be living in heaven right now or else he's bad?

Besides, I thought that "hating God" was just a myth that Christians made up to attack atheists? (or has somebody been watching too much Chronicles of Riddick?)

So it's back to the problem of evil then? If God exists, we would have to be living in heaven right now or else he's bad?
No. "God" is neither good, nor bad. I was just being sarcastic towards a possible "how can God do this and that" scenario.

Although some multi deity religions/cults had some gods, who happened to be more disgruntled than others. But I've not met them myself, y'know? ;]

I realize that. I was referring to the monotheistic conception of God commonly articulated in the Abrahamic faiths which is what most Westerners tend to think of when you say "God". Anyway, I gotta run, but good luck.

My sarcasm detector hasn't worked properly since 1997!~

(Don't worry, sarcasm is something hard to get across without the tone of voice, and no fun with a ton of smileys used.)

What I find interesting is, how some turn towards God/religion and some away, for exactly the same reason: some thing(s) happened to them in their life, which they cannot comprehend.

We need only look at his alleged works. The God of the Old Testament is a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sado-masochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Somehow, we're expected to believe that this god is the same god as the NT god, but that he's had some sort of attitude change. And if this isn't what we're to believe, then add manipulative and deceptive to the list.

A god with these failings and one that changes his mind every few thousand years would lead a free thinker to start wondering if god wasn't man-made, since he has all the worst attributes of man. At the very least, his omniscence should come into question.

Of course, those that are devout in their beliefs will apologetically (and conveniently) remind the free thinkers that we can't know god's thoughts and that god's actions are beyond human judgment; that everything we know is a creation of god and he can play with us as he sees fit. I don't buy that sort of cop-out logic myself.

It clear to me that if there is a god, we've never met it nor has it revealed itself to us. It certainly isn't the ugly creature portrayed in the Old Testament. Religion may not be evil, but many of its gods are; and many of the followers religion has had over the years have abused the belief in gods to manipulate them or justify evil acts. Religion suppresses and oppresses inquiry, making it possible for religious or political leaders to act in the name of religion or god to commit evil acts.

Religion is no more evil than guns, anthrax, nuclear bombs, swords or rope in the sense that it takes people to use them for evil acts. But a rope doesn't make the hanging victim believe salvation comes from putting one's head in the noose. Nor does a nuclear bomb inspire a population to detonate one in the city of an enemy to reach heaven as a martyr. Belief in God does this.

It's easy for many christians to point their fingers at islam and comment on how evil "fanatical" islam is when it relies on so many suicide bombers, people who fly planes into buildings, people who behead those that don't think like them, etc. Many of these christians are quick to make a distinction between "fanatical" islam and the rest of islam, and it's true there's a distinction. But this distinction is a fluid one! The fanatical muslim today was just a member of the islamic faith yesterday until pushed over the line by one of a hundred different things: a death of a family member, a moving sermon by a religious leader, a discussion with a peer, frustration with the plight of muslims or a sect of muslims against another entity or sect, etc.

The Abrahamic religions aren't peaceful. Their texts are filled with examples of violence, torture, and evil at the hands of the good guys. One page preaches the virtue of being kind and compassionate, another page reminds us that god is "vengeful" and killing for your god is noble. And, even more disturbing, many pages of the bible and koran go on about how honorable it is to die for your god!

If we think that islam is the only faith with extremists who are willing to kill or die for what amounts to an imaginary friend, then we're being blind. In a recent ICM poll quoted by the BBC, it was shown that 71% of Americans "would die for their God/beliefs." This is certainly different than being willing to "kill" for one's beliefs in god, but is it so difficult to imagine that if someone were able to justify dying for their god and their belief in him that they wouldn't also be willing to kill for him if they truly believed that this god wishes it?

So is religion evil. Certainly not. The people within religion are and have the ability (demonstrably so) to manipulate believers into committing evil acts against their fellow citizens. Religious leaders are doing this today and one need only look at the comments of that complete idiot, Pat Robertson, over the years to see it. This is the guy, if you recall, that suggested that his god will punish the citizens of Dover, PA for voting against god in the school board elections. This is but one example of one religious idiot manipulating the members of his own cult to act in a way *he* desires. This, my friends, is the face of evil in religion.

Holy crap.

As a poster who just today found this forum, I bow in awe to the unending boilerplate debates raging herein. Or maybe I'm just too drunk to form coherent arguments right now. Anyway.

Religion is not inherently evil. It's what the humans following them do with them. Obviously, people have said that before, but I'm too lazy to flip through all six pages to realize that. So there.

Archived