Home

The Christian Thread!

Halo_92

R U a Christian?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. R U a Christian?

I agree. For example, my friend and his family are very Christian. They have scared their children so badly about hell, my friends’ sister is scared of fire, and hates the colors black, and red.

Thats incredibly depressing you dont need to scare children into being good if your a good parent then you should be able to teach them whats right and wrong without having to resort to scare tactics.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats America though isn't it, Terros. You never get uber-Christian lunatics who teach their children that Jews and Muslims are blasphemous and you go to hell for the slightest breach of Christian law over here.

It's totally f**ked, i've gone to church of England schools my whole life and i've never met anyone whos parents are so fanatically Christian that their children are scared of fire, and the colours black and red, because that just ain't right.

I'm deeply anti religion i think we've reached a point in our society where it really isnt needed, we dont need to be scared into being good by such childish things like hell.

Did anyone catch the 2 part documentry 'Root of all evil?' a few months back? it was awesome and made some very good point and to be honest the religious people Dawkins spoke to where down right terrifying.

Heres the a Wiki article on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Root_of_All_Evil%3F

Richard ' darwins bulldog' dawkins is one of my heroes.

Yes I watched it on Google Video, the 1st part.

I thought it was a great documentary, and there's a thread about it in the Senate Chambers forum.

Thats America though isn't it, Terros. You never get uber-Christian lunatics who teach their children that Jews and Muslims are blasphemous and you go to hell for the slightest breach of Christian law over here.

It's totally f**ked, i've gone to church of England schools my whole life and i've never met anyone whos parents are so fanatically Christian that their children are scared of fire, and the colours black and red, because that just ain't right.

You'd be suprised buddy, though it isnt that bad over here *mainly because we're quite a cynical bunch* it would not suprise me if in a few years it got to be.

You'd be suprised buddy, though it isnt that bad over here *mainly because we're quite a cynical bunch* it would not suprise me if in a few years it got to be.

There was an advert for a programme on Four called Gods next army.

Thats the future of America, it's frightening frankly. Things like that is what I hate about America, their insane warped Christian beliefs.

i'm a christian and i'm okay with it, but sometimes i think the bishops and pope overreact too much. i mean, look at the fuss they made over the Da Vinci Code. come on, people, its just a frickin work of fiction!

I know! And they made a huge fuss about Harry Potter as well, some little kid becomes a wizard and Christians think it's satanic or something, have they ever seen Buffy FFS? Now thats satanic.

To be honest, I fing the idea that a human of 2006 can actually believe in anything to do with the miraculous side of religion, And by this, I also mean the fact that God is watching you and going to keep you in a cloud when you die, truly perplexing. I can accept that people pray to someone they created to make them feel more secure, sort of a lifeline perhaps, but not that they actually believe it exists. In the heart of hearts of the most religious man in the world, he must know that God isn't really watching him. That's just my view. Oh, and isn't it spelt Qur'an, rather than Kuran? Just a thought.

I do have a degree of faith (or perhaps a better term to use would be spirituality), but I don't practice a specific religion. I prefer to celebrate the miracle of life, as opposed to how it should be lived and who created it. Traditional religious institution doesn't sit well with me, though I have no problem with others taking part in it as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

I prefer to celebrate the miracle of life,

You can celebrate life without being religious life is a great thing its amazing what nature creates i dont need to believe some higher being created the world if anything i think its more amazing that things turned out the way they did down to pure chance of us having all the right conditions for life now that is great.

That's what the Senate Chambers are for. :p;)

indeed. but anyway....

I'd argue that I'm duty bound to speak out against propaganda and poppycock whenever it rears its silly head in any serious nature

hehe.. Skin, just like Lynky and Nintendo, you seem to materialise in religion threads very quickly. Amazing :)

Is critical yet respectful discussion around religion possible here ? who knows. Lets see :)

@Fealiks :)

"Qur'an" is a poor western mimicry of the arabic word for the Holy Book. It is a terrible spelling because it is phonetically variable in pronuciation.. eg. some might read it "Cure-ran" or "Chew-ran" or "Ker-ran" etc. In Australia, I definitely can say that "Koran" is the standard Australian-English word/spelling for the Islamic Holy Book. Im not sure who still uses that exotic version you have listed. Maybe in the UK??

Being of Turkish heritage, I have spelt it in Turkish, which has a wonderfully phonetically precise alphabet. "Kuran" is our word for the book and is derived from the eski Turkce ("Old Turkish") word for the book. Old Turkish of course had arabic letters, so this word was identical to its arabic equivalent. Whether we originally used it in the form "Kur-an" Im not sure(please note that the letter "u" in Turkish without accents on top is always pronounced as "oo" so there are never any difficulties in reading/pronouncing the word) I can say though, when the modern Turkish alphabet was introduced in the late 20s, some of the nuances of Arabic/Eski Turkce pronunciation were dropped, for political and somewhat practical reasons.

mtfbwya

Is critical yet respectful discussion around religion possible here ? who knows. Lets see

It would be nice but it appears that many people who are "anti-religion" have decided to voice their opinion quite offensively, maybe we can try this thread again if those people grow up and try to take other peoples feelings into account.

Im not sure who still uses that exotic version you have listed. Maybe in the UK??

Qur'an is the spelling that is used in the UK.

It would be nice but it appears that many people who are "anti-religion" have decided to voice their opinion quite offensively, maybe we can try this thread again if those people grow up and try to take other peoples feelings into account.
Their opinions aren't really being offensive, but are instead extremely critical of religion in general. But, those comments are in a Christian discussion thread. However, there is a thread that is critical of religion.

Moreover, why do we have to know the reason for our existence? We're mortal men, with fallacies and foibles; to suggest that somehow, one of us managed to find the meaning of life seems a bit overoptimistic. I'm perfectly happy with being an agnostic and knowing that whether or not there is a God, he's also perfectly happy with leaving me and the rest of us alone.

All the more reason to live life to the fullest and not waste it preparing for an afterlife that will never come.

Of course, that's assuming you fully believe that there definitely won't be an afterlife. With an assumption like that, it's no better than the idea of Christians knowing there's a heaven for them.

I see no evidence to suggest that there *is* any existence after death, therefore, I see no reason to waste time engaging in rituals and adhering to dogmatic rules to get to one. The question becomes: which dogma and what rituals? Just because you're born into a culture that is primarily a given religion doesn't imply that *that* religion is the correct one or that, if there *is* an afterlife, it knows the correct steps to reach it.

I prefer to live life in a morally sound manner (no religion required to do this) and to its fullest, enjoying every day of living and those that I share my life with. If there's an afterlife, I'll worry about it when I'm dead. If there isn't, I won't be capable of worry.

Of course, religious nutters of all types will say that their brand of religion is the only way to get to this alleged afterlife, but they offer no evidence that what they say is truth.

...Qur'an is the spelling that is used in the UK....

lolz...thought so. No doubt the work of some long gone "Professor of Eastern Religions", replete with bow tie and tweed jacket, who translated a 1920s Edition of the Holy Book when he was 78 years old :p

tally ho old chaps, and carry on !!

mtfbwya

So for all you people who aren't religious, what do believe? That we're just here for no reason?

I agree with SkinWalker why does there have to be a reason? We eat, sleep and mate and then we die, anything in between is up to one self.

Enjoy your life, live to the fullest, stop worrying about the "afterlife".

Archived