The Christian Thread!

Halo_92

R U a Christian?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. R U a Christian?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a muslim. Many Christians are oftened surprised to hear that Hazreti Isah or "The Prophet Jesus" is described in the Kuran as a great teacher/prophet. The main distinction that the Kuran makes with regards to him is that he is viewed as a teacher, not the son of God. Although Mohammed is revered as the greatest of prophets, there is no other divine aspect ascribed to him, save the fact that he was the messenger chosen to deliver God's message, via the Kuran.

As i do not pray 5 times a day or attend Friday prayer, many would describe people like me as a 'non practising muslim'. I find this description irrelevant, as - similar to the Jewish communities of the world, being Islamic is just as much about cultural identity as it is an expression of faith. Being of Turkish Cypriot heritage makes me Islamic by default, practising or not.

A word of advice to flamebaiters or preachers. Dont. Please use this thread to discuss, not harrass other members about their beliefs.

mtfbwya

I am a muslim. Many Christians are oftened surprised to hear that Hazreti Isah or "The Prophet Jesus" is described in the Kuran as a great teacher/prophet. The main distinction that the Kuran makes with regards to him is that he is viewed as a teacher, not the son of God. Although Mohammed is revered as the greatest of prophets, there is no other divine aspect ascribed to him, save the fact that he was the messenger chosen to deliver God's message, via the Kuran.

I found that out not too long ago there was a programme where a Christian man learned about Muslims and the Muslim community. When he was told that Jesus and Abraham (I think) are described in the Kuran as prophets of the same (including the Muslim) God, he couldn't accept it, which I found extremely disturbing.

He couldn't accept that Christians, Jews and Muslims are all worshipping the same God in their own way, and this young man was affectively representing American Christians, so what does that say about his view on the other two religions?

I found that out not too long ago there was a programme where a Christian man learned about Muslims and the Muslim community. When he was told that Jesus and Abraham (I think) are described in the Kuran as prophets of the same (including the Muslim) God, he couldn't accept it, which I found extremely disturbing.

He couldn't accept that Christians, Jews and Muslims are all worshipping the same God in their own way, and this young man was affectively representing American Christians, so what does that say about his view on the other two religions?

That's pretty typical behaviour. "My religion is better than yours and the only true original one!"

People who belong to religious cults like to announce their piety to the world and try to "witness" their indoctrinated dogma on others, but somehow expect their superstitions to go un-criticized.

In fact, there's some fallacious taboo about criticizing and questioning the religions of others, what Daniel Dennett calls a "spell," which is cast on believers by those that indoctrinate them to begin with: their parents, pastors, emans, rabbis, etc.

This is all complete bollocks! How convenient for a religious cult to exclude inquiry and criticism as part of their dogma by making it taboo!

I'm reminded of the whole BS about the Muslims who were affronted by the cartoons of Muhammad (one of them would make a great avatar), and demanded of the rest of the world that they not be shown in publication. What nonsense! How can a single religious cult expect to enforce their internal taboos on the rest of the world? Should I give up coffee because the lady I work with is a Mormon (ain't gonna happen)? Should we expect Jews to begin bombing shops that sell pork? Should Hindus riot in the streets, burning U.S. flags because we eat beef?

The superstitions of others willing to discuss them in public are fair game for inquiry, question, criticism, skepticism, and even ridicule in the same way we would treat people willing to believe in alien abductions and remote viewing.

Religion disgusts me.

I was dragged to church since middle school, but once I started high school my parents slacked off on going, and I outright quit going. Was never interested in it. As long as people don't bother me about joining their cult, I really don't care what they do in their spare time.

I'm deeply anti religion i think we've reached a point in our society where it really isnt needed, we dont need to be scared into being good by such childish things like hell.

Did anyone catch the 2 part documentry 'Root of all evil?' a few months back? it was awesome and made some very good point and to be honest the religious people Dawkins spoke to where down right terrifying.

Heres the a Wiki article on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Root_of_All_Evil%3F

Richard ' darwins bulldog' dawkins is one of my heroes.

we dont need to be scared into being good by such childish things like hell.

I agree. For example, my friend and his family are very Christian. They have scared their children so badly about hell, my friends’ sister is scared of fire, and hates the colors black, and red.

Archived