The Christian Thread!

Halo_92

R U a Christian?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. R U a Christian?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know! And they made a huge fuss about Harry Potter as well, some little kid becomes a wizard and Christians think it's satanic or something, have they ever seen Buffy FFS? Now thats satanic.

Yeah, I remember when I was like 8-10 and Harry Potter came out and I wanted to see it with my friend and he told me that it was Satanic.(he also told me Pokemon was evil when I was 5, he told me Greenday is evil, and Wizards are evil.)

Yeah, I remember when I was like 8-10 and Harry Potter came out and I wanted to see it with my friend and he told me that it was Satanic.(he also told me Pokemon was evil when I was 5, he told me Greenday is evil, and Wizards are evil.)

How is Greenday and Pokemon evil? What kind of people raise a child like that?

It would be nice but it appears that many people who are "anti-religion" have decided to voice their opinion quite offensively, maybe we can try this thread again if those people grow up and try to take other peoples feelings into account.

Qur'an is the spelling that is used in the UK.

My copy (T.B. Irving's translation, published in the US, 1991) says "Qur'an" as well. Some of my older books spell it "Koran/Moslem" instead of "Qur'an/Muslim" but yeah, it's all just an aproximation of the Arabic. The only Imam I've ever talked to pronounced it "Koo-ron" and "Moose-limb" of course I wouldn't expect every member of the religion to say it the same way.

PS: Wow, we've drifted far offtopic, from the original post, haven't we?

How is Greenday and Pokemon evil? What kind of people raise a child like that?

They are very weird people (and he is not really my friend.. he has no friends so my parents feel bad for him and tell me to go hang out with him =/). They are raising their children completely wrong. His sister (that I mentioned earlier about) is going to be a total sl** when she gets older. She is only 7 and she already talks about wanting to be a rock star ,wanting to dye her hair purple ,and kiss boys! They completely shelter their kids from the outside world (home schooled and no cable). (Thinks back to the Southpark episode with the home schooled kids)

Ok, this thread has been derailed enough. Let's get back on topic.

damnit... I was just about quote the pokemon crap said above and close it :(

phreak says give it a chance, so we shall :)

@Kurgz.. you spelling "Moose-Limb" like that reminded me of similar things Malcolm X said in his autobiography. He also disliked the word "knee-grows."

Ruhuna El Fatiha Malcolm was a great man.

mtfbwya

Yea, for those of you who haven't read any of my posts, I'm direly atheist. And I derive some sick pleasure from crushing the beliefs of other people under my heel. Its a good way to root out those who truely believe what they say they believe and those who just say it to be part of a crowd of hyper-disillusional people who tell me how ****ed my afterlife is going to be. As if I could find myself believe such nonsense.

I'm a pretty liberal Christian; I think religion should be a more personal experience than anything. I respect people of all faiths though, their god(s) are just as real and meaningful to them as ours.

So...pretty much, you don't believe in a God?

You are not a Christian, period.[/Quote]

Well, i did believe in god before, and i have confirm (Dont know if thats the english word). But i don't belive in it right now, my faith is weak, sometimes i think there is a god but most of the time i dont think it. Thats why i sayed im a little christian

I'm a Christian. I'm a Presbyterian (a type of Protestant).

Skin, I think one thing that sets Christianity apart from other religions is the fact that today in the news, you will read about people being threatened with death and torture in places like China (and places much worse), and still not giving up their faith.

Furthermore, from a purely historical standpoint, you have to admit that Christianity spread incredibly fast after Jesus' time, despite heavy oppression from the Roman Empire. If Christianity is fake, then why did the early believers manage to spread Christianity across all of the known Mediterranean world, on pain of death, with frequent killings and imprisonments leaving them unfazed? Why did they not fear death?

Another thing that sets Christianity apart is that in a crowd, you can sometimes spot Christians by the way they act: morally, maybe more patiently, etc. (And I'm not including those homosexual Catholic priests who rape young boys in my label of "Christians".) Sure, there are moral non-Christians, but 50% of the time, a friendly, patient or moral person will be a professing Christian; and not just because their parents told them to.

han sala, I think the problem some Christians have with Harry Potter is not actually the story, but the author -- T.K. Rowling (that's her name, right?) is publicly anti-Christian. And about Pokemon and Greenday being evil...that's just going overboard.

My idea of Christianity is not a list of rules: "No drinking, partying, dancing, playing cards, etc." Christians have to live in this world. But we want to live in a moral way. For example: sure, I can go to a dance, but I shouldn't...*cough*...go any farther than dancing, with my date.

Also, han sala, those parents who freaked their kids out about hell? They've got the completely wrong idea. My idea of Christianity is to make it seem like a good thing: "You can find meaning in life and put your mind at rest with Christianity", not a bad thing: "IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW MY RELIGION YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!!!" The latter is the attitude of some religions out there, which is another thing that sets them apart from Christianity (at least, the Christianity that I follow).

If Christianity is fake, then why did the early believers manage to spread Christianity across all of the known Mediterranean world, on pain of death, with frequent killings and imprisonments leaving them unfazed? Why did they not fear death?

Why did the Christians launch the Crusades and the Inquisition?

Another thing that sets Christianity apart is that in a crowd, you can sometimes spot Christians by the way they act: morally, maybe more patiently, etc. (And I'm not including those homosexual Catholic priests who rape young boys in my label of "Christians".) Sure, there are moral non-Christians, but 50% of the time, a friendly, patient or moral person will be a professing Christian; and not just because their parents told them to.

And yet divorce rates for Christians are higher than divorce rates for atheists/agnostics. :)

han sala, I think the problem some Christians have with Harry Potter is not actually the story, but the author -- T.K. Towling (that's her name, right?) is publicly anti-Christian.

Huh?? I'd never heard that before. IIRC, J.K. Rowling is a self-proclaimed Christian.

Why did the Christians launch the Crusades and the Inquisition?

Huh?? I'd never heard that before. IIRC, J.K. Rowling is a self-proclaimed Christian.

^^ Revenge XD No, really, It's a different kind of Christian. There's heaps of different "catagories" of Christian, I for instance am a Brethren/Baptist.

2. Without trying to offend anyone, *Whispers* I've never met a christian that's anything like what she belives. Hence the upcoming scripture.

Revelation 22:14-15

"Blessed are those who wash thier robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs,those who practise magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practises falsehood.

Revelation 21: 8

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practise magic arts, the idolater and all liars- thier place will be in the fiery lake of buring sulfur. This is the second death."

Hopefully you noticed the "magic arts" stuff. To write whole books about that and aquaint yourself so much with it is clearly going directly against those two versus.

Hopefully you noticed the "magic arts" stuff. To write whole books about that and aquaint yourself so much with it is clearly going directly against those two versus.

J.K. Rowling does not practice magic. She writes fiction books about a character who does.

The scripture says not to PRACTICE magic. No where does it say you cannot write a fiction book about it.

I see no evidence to suggest that there *is* any existence after death, therefore, I see no reason to waste time engaging in rituals and adhering to dogmatic rules to get to one. The question becomes: which dogma and what rituals? Just because you're born into a culture that is primarily a given religion doesn't imply that *that* religion is the correct one or that, if there *is* an afterlife, it knows the correct steps to reach it.

You see, that is exactly the problem. "Rituals and adhering to dogmatic rules". The emphasis on religion. I am a Christian, and yet I am not "religious". There are branches of the Christian faith (Catholicism namely), that believe that you have to "do this, that, and that" in order to have eternal life in heaven. Belief that your good deeds will save you, going to church every Sunday will save you, along with putting money in a collection plate. This is religion. Rituals like that, when it even says in the Bible (the basis of the Christian faith), that none of this will, in fact save anyone.

According to the Bible, salvation comes as a free gift. It is not a gift that one has to earn, or even a gift that one can earn. One just has to accept it. Helping the old lady across the street, while a very nice gesture, won't get you into heaven (according to Biblical scriptures). True Christians will not look down upon those who do not go to church every Sunday, those who did not give money to the church, or those who do not believe in a god at all. Exhaltation of self is a sin (once again, according to Biblical scripture). Of course, we are all human beings, and we are all fallible, but that is the same for every single person on this earth.

The fact of the matter is, everyone believes something. Whether you believe that we are here just to live, reproduce, and die, or that were are here for a greater purpose, whatever that purpose may be. Whether you believe in an afterlife, or you simply believe that our deaths bring the end, and the only end. You still believe in something. My beliefs are just as "religious" as an Atheist who believes that there is no god, no heaven, no hell.

Personally, I'm not going to go out there and be critical of another's beliefs and/or religious practices, simply because it is their choice, and it does not bother me, in a sense where I would think less of them or attempt to impose my own beliefs upon them. However, just know that anyone can die on any given day, and that all your questions will be answered for better or worse, when that time comes. There is no evidence of what comes next, because it is impossible to completely prove or disprove any theory that has been proposed (theory of evolution, Christianity, Islam), and it never will be possible. No matter how far one can go to prove/disprove a theory, there will always be questions. :)

@ TK

But She influences people all over the world of all ages with stories depicting a wizard as the good guy. She writes stories in favor of magic arts. So many children thought wizards and things like that were cool after the whole Harry Potter thing. People fully imersed themselves in that culture. Do you really think someone who followed the scripture to the letter as best they could, would want anybody to think wizardry is cool?

But She influences people all over the world of all ages with stories depicting a wizard as the good guy. She writes stories in favor of magic arts. So many children thought wizards and things like that were cool after the whole Harry Potter thing. People fully imersed themselves in that culture. Do you really think someone who followed the scripture to the letter as best they could, would want anybody to think wizardry is cool?

I seriously doubt that upon reading a fictional story book, anyone is going to go practice magic and wizardry. If they do, then, they're so damn stupid that they need to go to hell anyway.

After watching Star Wars, were people going to go learn how to be a Jedi and use the Force on people??

Archived