Home

Come play Mysteries of the Sith with us! (each weekend; w/ big pics!)

Kurgan

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

;) Of course how can you get good at it if you don't play?

Unless you meant you aren't familiar with the powers and stuff (Single Player isn't that good of a test for MP, at least how the enemies behave, but the force powers do work the same there).

A good way to train would be to download Rbots MotS from Massassi.net and play against them on "Inhuman" difficulty for awhile.

If anyone is interested, I'm going to fire up the MotS server for a few hours this morning while I'm at class. Same IP as above.

oh yeah rbots!! i remember putting them on very easy and getting the rail detonator and blowing them away.....gooooood times! :D

another thing ya might wanna do is spend about 30 mins in each of the levels, find all the weapon locations and take notes. lol

Well, I have to get up at 6:30 or 7:30am Central time for class Mon-Friday, and so that means I typically try to get to bed by 10:30pm. Since my apartment is small (and my processor+fans = loud), I don't typically leave it on after I go to bed. So if you miss it during the day you're out of luck I'm afraid (unless somebody else hosts).

There is a JK dedicated server you can you meet at, type in jk.servegame.com for your IP. But of course I don't run it, so I have no control over the settings. If you want to play MotS, it's either my server or run your own.

Anyway, mine is up now and it will be at least until I get home 1-2 1/2 hours

from now.

Oh btw, I just realized all this time I could have been hosting on QTUplink (meaning Qtracker users could scan the server).

Sadly I've been having trouble with Qtracker lately (so it crashes) but if I could use that, that might be helpful. I'll try to see if I can get it setup for the weekend.

PS: Sounds like there's some problems in the latest release of Qtracker, I urge you all to (respectfully) pester Ron "the_DM-Ohio" Mercer (at http://www.qtracker.com) to fix it, and report your bugs!

PPS: Here's a link to some shots I took of some of the various menu screens, which I may someday incorporate into Hiss' page. Especially of note are the force star allotement screens. Plan your strategies. ;)

http://www.jediknight.net/hiss/m_menus.html

Hello! I would be interested in Playing mots with you all whenever i get around to installing it. I actually just found out yesterday while surfing the web that people still play this. I havnt played this online before just need to know what I need to play and where I can chat,contact people of where they usually hang out to still play this.

You don't "need" anything to play, just the game itself and your internet connection! You need to make sure if you have a firewall or router that it's allowing this game to use the internet of course.

The only thing you might want to download is MotS CTF, but that's linked to on the first page. For the most part you shouldn't need any mods, since most of the time we're just running the basic game. There's no official LucasArts patch available either. Patch Commander is really only needed if you are running mods (other than new maps/levels).

New levels/maps just go in your Episode folder (unzipped of course).

You can chat on IRC if you want to, but you'll have to ask other people. I don't really hang out on IRC because most of the time I go there and people are just using it like a voice mail box or something (they stay logged in all day but never chat with anyone).

There is no "usual hangout" really. It's just whoever, wherever wants to host a game. Yes, there are forums, yes, there are chatrooms, but unless somebody says "I'm hosting a game who wants to play?" it will never happen.

GameSpyArcade supports JK/MotS but basically it just searches to see who is logged in who has the game installed, and then you just message them if they want to play, go to the JK/MotS room and fire up a game and wait.

There's no dedicated servers for this game (and the Zone has ceased all support) or built in out of game chat like some other games, so it's pretty much "do it yourself" these days.

JKDF2.net runs a 'dedicated server', but it is for JK, not MotS.

thanks for the input. maps shouldnt take me to long to download. i cant use zirc anyway since my isp is aol. thankfully im not wasting my time worrying that im missing out on zirc if people just use it for that. I can connect to about anything since i dont got a router so i shouldnt have a problem there. my only prob should be that i got dial up. but from earlier reading eve na dial up person played an lag u said was minimal. ill just set settings to minimal when i come 2 play. Just need to know when every1 usually comes on to play and ill be there.

One quick question. I just d/l the mots maps off of your first link at start of thread. there are 2 files i know the goo file goes in levels file or w/e its called but there is also this items file a dat file. im asking if that also goes in the same file as the maps file. or is it a mod and goes with that mod thingy. dangit i forgot what that is called 2. you can say i have a bad memory. lol

Thank You Wiluf. I couldnt play yesterday because i have 2 share comp with brothers and i was like on a botload of hours as well. so hope to see you all whenever you playing again. (NOte) I can enter chat through irc now thanks to the help of EAH_XxHeReTiKxX with my problems. so i dont got any chat problems now. If any1 still wants to contact me otherways you can contact me throug hmy email http://www.DogloverRoss08@aol.com (makes sure subject is star wars or i may delete it. dont want spam that sort of thing.) my msn messanger: i think its DogloverRoss08@aol.com . ill try 2 be on it alot of the time if people wanna contact me there. and of course this forum you can post things here. you can private message me on this forum. and theres irc chat as well. Thank you all for the help and hope to play with you all soon

One quick question. I just d/l the mots maps off of your first link at start of thread. there are 2 files i know the goo file goes in levels file or w/e its called but there is also this items file a dat file. im asking if that also goes in the same file as the maps file. or is it a mod and goes with that mod thingy. dangit i forgot what that is called 2. you can say i have a bad memory. lol

In your MotS directory:

Episode (Goo file goes here)

Resource\misc (items.dat file goes here)

An explanation of items.dat.

This is an OPTIONAL file (you may have to create "misc" sub folder).

Basically how MOTS CTF works is that it changes the Ysalamiri from KFY mode to the CTF flag(s). So when you pickup the Flag, it uses the icon of the Ysalamiri (we call it "The slug" for short, heh).

So all items.dat does is uses the flag icon instead of the slug when you pick it up. So if you don't want to see a slug icon when you're the flag carrier, use items.dat (and remove it when you play KFY if you don't want to see the flag icon on your display when you grab the slug instead of the proper icon).

It's purely aesthetic on your end (to give it that last bit of authenticity), and won't affect actual gameplay one way or the other.

Just a note to everyone... TGIF! It's the weekend (at last).

Sadly, I have to work Sat. and Sunday afternoons AND I have a paper due Tuesday, so I'll have to spend some time working on that. I planned to go to a movie this evening (either around 7 or 10), but though I'll be in 'n' out, the server will be going up soon and stay up for as long as I can keep it up (same IP!).

We'll start with KFY (that's always fun) and if we can get enough people together tonight, Sat or Sun we can try for some MotS CTF.

;)

I will have ICQ off most of the time the server is up though, because if I get a message, the game is minimized and that interrupts the map cycling if I'm not there at the comp, so, please message me here for the easiest way to contact, or IM one of the other regular players (like Wilhuf).

QTracker isn't working for me yet with MotS, so don't bother checking it for now. :(

PS: I could try running x-fire, my account is kurganx (iirc) or just "Kurgan."

Then again, I don't think MotS is "supported" by xfire (whatever that means.. since JK itself is listed)

Sucks you gotta work, but I'll be able to play definatly. I'll get it all set up and running tonight.

Also, can you run a dedicated server? Because if I can figure it out, I got a spare PIII computer that I could run it on, I got a 5mbps down/768k up connection.

Get me some info, maybe I can get that set-up.

BB, I'm not precisely sure how the one at NarShaddaa.net works, but there was no official dedicated server software. JK is a peer to peer game, so essentially how a JK or MotS server works is that it's just setup with the game running (you can't be alt+tabbed out of it, because the game will fail to cycle properly) and you just not playing but leaving it open for people to play and letting them know the IP.

There is Qtracker (via QTUplink) to post your server to a master list, but again it's not truly dedicated, and the current version of QT I think is bugged (at least one other person claims that besides me) and needs to be fixed.

So it's more like you're running a listen server constantly.

Btw, the game is back up. 69.180.215.175

Sorry about earlier, I forgot to shut down ICQ, so it was interrupted about 25 mins after the third map change or so.

Archived