Home

Dantooine Community RP Project

starmark2k

Hi everyone i desided to try somthing differant with in the Danttoine RPing Community we have here. To put things simply i would like us too all get involved with this and create our own Sci-Fi Franchise, Essenitally creating our own universe. I would like everyone who chooses to get involved to have input into creating the history, politics, lifeforms and even the Physics of this new universe. Now i've come up with a very basic premise to get started with which we can build on, Like foundations to a building.

In the 22nd century the third world war began and wiped out over two thirds of humanity. The War devastated the planet as Nuclear weapons contaminated most of earth’s landmasses sentencing mankind to a slow but inevitable death. In a last attempt to save the future of the species 4 leviathan sized spacecraft were built, Each one to carry one million people and to travel across space to find a new home.

Each colony ship travelled for over 500 years before the first found a world that could sustain human life, soon after the other ships found worlds of their own. Each world was colonised and community grew on the four new planets of man.

Now this needs to be built on and that's where you guys come in, You can suggest anything to this. So to get this proceess started i've come up with a few questions:

1) Should the story be based during the colonization or some time later (like 1000 years.)?

2) Should the Colony have expanded to more planets than the initial four?

3) Have the colonies formed a single empire or are they 4 seperate ones? Are these hostile to each other?

4) Are their Aliens? Are they Sentient?

5) How do people travel through space? Can they go faster than light? If so How?

6) Is there some kind of mystical Power, like the Force?

So Now suggest and Answer them, Create new ones, Answer ones that haven't been thought of.

Obviously this could lead to Chaos so for now i have final Say.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite like this idea.

1) Say 1000 thousands years later

2) Yes, I reckon they should have alliances, governments, federations,and such.

3) Seperatehowever they don't nessiarly have to be hostile 100% of the time

4) I reckon there should be hostile aliens however not nessiary human/humanoids. There's a unit in the game Quake 4 (i've nicknamed the Sirens) who I'd like to be the enemy. If anyone has played the game they're the guys who can teleport.

5) Hyperspace or Jump Gates (from the game Freelancer)

6) Could be. It could be the baises of the alien hostile's power.

Steve's questions:

1) If there is an alien race:

-a)What would be their goal/s?

-b)What weapons could they have?

-c)What sort of leadership could they have? (I.E. Council, Empire,ect.)

2)What sort of ships would u like?

3)What sort of droids/robots would u like to have?

Big project Starmark! I'm in :)

1) Should the story be based during the colonization or some time later (like 1000 years.)?

Go with later... it gives all the colonies time to grow and expand over the planet. Also, after 500 years of searching, I don't think these people will be eager to go into space again anytime soon... though there will be a few exceptions who tinker and make smaller ships, I imagine... mostly for defense use, I think.

Like I said before, I don't think anyone's gonna be eager to hop into space again. Let's just leave it with the initial four.

3) Have the colonies formed a single empire or are they 4 seperate ones? Are these hostile to each other?

They are four separate ones. It took five hundred years to find suitable planets and I kinda have it pictured that they all went off in different directions. Eventually, their communications between one another failed, so they're just their own colony ships, completely oblivious when it comes to what happened to the others.

No aliens. That's one thing I liked about Firefly/Serenity. It's a fully human galaxy. Sure, you've got the Reavers, but they're people who've gone crazy. Sure, you've got River, but she's a person too... just a little twisted in the brain pan ;). Go with fully human. It's unique... there aren't many Sci-fi writings that do this.

5) How do people travel through space? Can they go faster than light? If so How?

For a long time, they didn't want to. They'd just gotten to a new place. Maybe they've got faster-than-light technology now, maybe only one or two of the original colony ships figured it out. But now, after 1000 years, they're only just beginning to experiment with it. It could be the thing that reconnects the colonies.

Now, that would be an interesting RP. Following them through the initial tests of their new technology and how they come to a new 'life supporting' planet to find life already there... other humans. And by this time, maybe they would've forgotten all about the initial colony ships.

Maybe... or maybe there's just certain people who've agreed to genetic and mental alterations, giving them added abilities... or maybe they're evolving... like X-Men.

So after answering these questions, I'd say if we're going to have them forget about the other colonies, maybe we should make them reach their planets in 1000 years. And while they've got myths of other colony ships, their myths suggest that the other ships were destroyed in the attempt to leave Earth. And then, maybe 4-5 thousand years later, they're just beginning to experiment with faster-than-light technology. And that's when they discover one of the other colonized worlds.

Should the story be based during the colonization or some time later (like 1000 years.)?

Definitely much later.

Should the Colony have expanded to more planets than the initial four?

Yes. It's always more fun when you have other planets.

Have the colonies formed a single empire or are they 4 separate ones? Are these hostile to each other?

At least let there be two empires. Who says they all joined together or all stayed separate? There could be different combinations.

Are there Aliens? Are they Sentient?

There should definitely be aliens, maybe not sentient ones but at least some cool animals. And I personally like the idea of sentient aliens. They're really fun to design. The reason having sci-fi stories with only people seems new is because it's so old. Why do you think they go for the aliens now?

Is there some kind of mystical Power, like the Force?

Maybe... or maybe there's just certain people who've agreed to genetic and mental alterations, giving them added abilities... or maybe they're evolving... like X-Men.

Why not both?

hehe, i told you i'd be one of the first ones to show up for the party. ;)

anyways, here are my thoughts:

1) Should the story be based during the colonization or some time later (like 1000 years.)? i think that 1000 years might be a bit too extreme. perhaps something more around 100-500 years would be a bit more suitable.

2) Should the Colony have expanded to more planets than the initial four? it's possible, but the question is would they need to?? if the rather few remaining of the human population split up into four groups took off in different directions, the population growth in even 1000 years isn't going to be all that substantial to force them to colonize more than one planet (per group).

3) Have the colonies formed a single empire or are they 4 seperate ones? Are these hostile to each other? i think the groups need to be seperated. in fact, one of the thoughts i had was that they haven't been in contact with each other until recently. the idea there would be for two or three of the groups to just come into contact with each other with the fourth still missing.

as to if they are hostile or not, well, that would depend on how the groups were split apart in the first place and whether or not they are within range of each other.

4) Are their Aliens? Are they Sentient? i vote for no aliens. its different, and you don't have to worry about trying to create them, either.

5) How do people travel through space? Can they go faster than light? If so How? i think something along the lines of a hyperspace/hypergate combo, if anything. i also think that one of the dividing issues would be for just one of the four groups to have the technology, but they aren't willing to share it without a price.

6) Is there some kind of mystical Power, like the Force? i vote no. by now, its a little cliche in this forum to deal with some kind of 'Force'. ;)

For those of us who've seen Firefly, remember the net from Our Mrs. Reynolds?

For faster-than-light technology, I propose something of a similar shape. Passing through the center of the ring, your ship is propelled forward at a high rate of speed. Then, in a certain amount of time, you pass through another that acts as a 'stopper', slowing you down so you don't keep going endlessly and wind up plunging into a planet.

I'm actually using something like that in a story I'm writing. It's a simple design... though I'm not entirely sure on the mechanics of exactly how it works...

^^^^

in 'Trekkie' terms, it could be something on par with a warp bubble that's moving along some sort of a wave. this would allow the vessel to move at a very high speed with little energy output from the ship itself.

the only problem would arise if something interposed itself along the vector from one gate to another. you would also run into issues with traffic and the amount of energy needed by the gates themselves.

I think i'll answer my own questions with my opinions...

I personally think it should be atleast 1000 years as this is a good amount of time for a society to develop into a maturity.

only to a small extent... i.e mining, penial and defence colonies on moons or outterlying planets. Or perhaps one of the colony ships landed on a barren world and had no choice but to move.

I Think they should remain seperate but have formed a version of the UN... Also i think that it would be interesting if 2 of the Colony Empires came from either Side of the War on Earth which leads to minor hostilities.

I got to go with Wild, I do like the Humans are the only intelligant species... But i think maybe Aliens should Exsist in Plants and Small animals.

I think the combined efforts of Wild and Stinger is a good idea, how travel between the colonies is accomplished by Gates... But i think there should be another form of 'Unstable' FTL for exploration but is rare used.

I think a mystic 'Force' may not be needed, But i like the Idea of Wilds that people may be evolving... Perhaps wach colony Evolves differantly creating 4 new species.

Steven's Qs

I think that the ships should be fairly large and that small fighter like craft don't exsist, But ships the sive of Modern Spacecraft are the standard for commercial use.

3)What sort of droids/robots would u like to have?

Maybe During the War Droids were created, And they are used for Fighting and jobs dangerous for humans... But no AI.

Oh the things a simple writer like me never thinks about :p

And an added thought to evolution: since the environments of the planets are bound to be different, it's their surroundings that are forcing them to 'adapt'... thus the evoltion. For example, a place where there are many preexisting natural predators has forced the human colony to develop pyrokinesis (or some other power to combat the predators).

I think that the ships should be fairly large and that small fighter like craft don't exsist, But ships the sive of Modern Spacecraft are the standard for commercial use.

Accutaly I had an idea sometime ago that mordern day jets could have been upgraded for short time space travells however they're only used when under attack.

Also we're going to need shuttles(like in Star Trek and Star Wars)

Sometime later like 1000 years sounds good.

Yes, I think they should.

While I think there should be four separate empires, I don't think they all should be hostile to each other, but on the brink of hostility.

Yes, I think there should be other aliens. No, I don't think they should be sentient.

I think that the Hyperspace should be based somewhat after this.

No, that would be just a bit overused already.

7)What sort of ships would u like?

I would like for there to be defense fleets of sorts, incase another empire happens to get the urge to go conquer something. And a Mothership vessel for every empire.

9)What sort of droids/robots would u like to have?

War machines perhaps, but like Starmark said, no AI.

I'd say 1000 years is good, seeing as how a group of a million people lived on a ship for 500 years. They would have been mature enough to do some major colonization after 1000 years.

I'll go with starmark2k's idea for this question; just minor colonization, and movement to other planets, only for good reasons and all.

At least let there be two empires. Who says they all joined together or all stayed separate? There could be different combinations.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

To the first question I say yes. To the second, I say that there should be animal alien life, like what others say, but, there is such a thing as semi-sentient beings; we could have those.

I'll go with Rexraptor2000 on the hyperdrive technollogy idea.

I say no, as everyone else says, overused.

Why not both?

I say ditto for combining them.

And an added thought to evolution: since the environments of the planets are bound to be different, it's their surroundings that are forcing them to 'adapt'... thus the evoltion. For example, a place where there are many preexisting natural predators has forced the human colony to develop pyrokinesis (or some other power to combat the predators).

I say that's very good idea; I agree with this idea too.

Defense fleet idea sounds good, but no mothership for each one; that's a bit much. Maybe one or two of the planets has a mothership class vessel, but not all of them.

Minimum size of ships should be ships that support around 6 or 8 people, but no fighter, or one person sized craft.

8)What sort of droids/robots would u like to have?

Military and Work use droids, no AI.

Defense fleet idea sounds good, but no mothership for each one; that's a bit much. Maybe one or two of the planets has a mothership class vessel, but not all of them.

I didn't mean a mothership class for each fleet. I meant a mothership class for each empire, like if there were four empires there would be four motherships, one for each empire.

1) Should the story be based during the colonization or some time later (like 1000 years.)? I agree with everyone else, 1000 years after colonization

2) Should the Colony have expanded to more planets than the initial four?Just like most of you said no because they aren't fully colonized to withstand holding new planets maybe moons and asteroids nearby to the planet but not farther than from planet to planet

3) Have the colonies formed a single empire or are they 4 seperate ones? Are these hostile to each other? I say there should be 3 different empires one trying to develop one but is absorbed into one other Empire.

4) Are their Aliens? Are they Sentient? I don't think aliens should exist, but there could be animals that live naturally on the planet.

5) How do people travel through space? Can they go faster than light? If so How? I don't have much thoughts about this, but would like to hyperspace or something at least.

6) Is there some kind of mystical Power, like the Force? No, not really.

7)What sort of ships would u like? I say one large empire should have a fleet that works with large ships with a small amount, and the other with small fighters with a massive amount of them. Basically one wants quantity and the other wants larger size and quality, or smaller size(instead of larger size)

here's a question that might stir things up a bit: what if the initial colonies started off as massive terraforming projects?? the idea there is to perhaps show that the humans were starting to get desperate whenever it came to finding a planet to settle on, so they went ahead and terraformed a planet.

this idea could even be used in a 1000 year timeframe. what if the terraforming process was never perfect, and one (or more) of the initial colonies was starting to run out of resources because of it? this could present its own set of problems (for the seperate colonies), and thus provide some sort of conflict that needs resolved for the story.

Thanks for all the Suggestions and so you all know you can join in with this at any point. now I’ve decided to add some organization to this little project of ours. So now I’ve split it into a 6 Phase Plan, each phase may take about week or so to do.

Phase 1- The Basics- Basically what we’re doing now.

Phase 2- Creating New Worlds- What the planets, Empire and citizens of our Galaxy are like.

Phase 3- Relationships- How the different Colonies Relate (If at all)

Phase 4- Groups, Cults and Organized Crime- The non-Colony groups (Pirates, Gangs and companies)

Phase 5- The Fine Details- Anything that has to be sorted before we start

Phase 6- The RP- What we’re working Towards.

-----------------------------------------------

So lets continue with Phase One now I’ve taken your Suggestions and picked the most popular and viable options to create a polling system. Each Question will have a number of Options and I will Explain what each option means so you can make a more informed decision.

Also If you think of questions that need to be Answered PM me with them, and I will decide if they do or if they can wait until a later phase.

Question 1: How long after Colonization should the RP be based?

1) 500 years

2) 1000 years

3) 5000 years

Question 2: How are the Colonies politically connected?

1) A Single Empire- The Colonies are ruled by a single Government.

2) Allied Colonies- Although Each Colony has their own government they Have their own version of the U.N

3) Four Empires (Aware)- The Colonies have formed into Four Empires and are aware of each Others Existence.

4) Four Empires (Unaware)- The Colonies have formed into Four Empires and are not aware of each Others Existence.

Question 3: Are their Aliens?

1) None- The only life in the Galaxy existed on Earth until Colonization, This means the planets needed to be terrorformed first.

2) Plant life- Only Alien Plants.

3) Non-sentient- only Plants and unintelligent Animal Evolved away from earth.

4) Sentient- There’s intelligent life out there.

Question 4: How do they Travel faster than the speed of Light?

1) They Can’t- It’s impossible to travel faster than Light.

2) Hyper-gates- The use of Gates allows faster than Light Travel.

3) Hyperspace- Hyperspace creates an artificial wormhole to travel.

4) FTL Drives- The use Of FTL allows instantaneous transport across great distances.

Question 5: Magic or Evolution?

1) Neither- Humans are Humans nothing Special happens

2) Magic- Something that can’t be explained give some a power.

3) Evolution- We were once amphibians, what will happen next?

4) Both- Magic and Evolution

Question 6: Laser technology?

Non-Existent- No such thing as energy based weapons, they still use Bullets and missiles.

Restricted Only the Militaries have access.

Limited It’s either very Expensive or very New so its not that common.

It’s you right to bare a Laser- Everyone has access to them and have made Bullets obsolete.

----------------------------------------

Ok Here’s mine so you know how to put your votes forward.

1) 5000 years

2) Four Empires (Aware)

3) Non-sentient

4) Hyper-gates

5) Neither

6) Limited

So start your voting I’ll see tally the votes on Sunday unless we need more time.

2) 1000 years

Question 2: How are the Colonies politically connected?.

4) Four Empires (aware)- The Colonies have formed into Four Empires and are aware of each Others Existence.

3) Non-sentient- only Plants and unintelligent Animal Evolved away from earth.

2) Hyper-gates- The use of Gates allows faster than Light Travel.

4) Both- Magic and Evolution

5000 years

Four Empires (Aware)- The Colonies have formed into Four Empires and are aware of each Others Existence.

Question 3: Are there Aliens?

Non-sentient- only Plants and unintelligent Animal Evolved away from earth.

Hyper-gates- The use of Gates allows faster than Light Travel.

Evolution- We were once amphibians, what will happen next?

Sorry I haven't jumped in before now. Great ideas so far! Here's my answers to the poll. I've got some other questions, but I'll give them a bit more thought before posting.

2) 1000 years (I think that's around about enough time. Just look at how far we've come in a 1000 years!)

2) Allied Colonies- Although Each Colony has their own government they Have their own version of the U.N. (Of course, this wouldn't preclude the colonies from being at odds with each other from time to time.)

3) Non-sentient- only Plants and unintelligent Animals Evolved away from earth. (Got to have some strange and funky creatures!)

3) Hyperspace- Hyperspace creates an artificial wormhole to travel. (Otherwise, travel would take too long for an RP. Though, having Gates was a close second, I imagine that one might have to have some sort of security code or permit to use them--sort of like tax discs or toll booths. And they could be prone to traffic jams during peak use times. :) )

3) Evolution- We were once amphibians, what will happen next?

(This should include 'artificial' evolution, i.e. genetic enhancements.)

(I imagine it to be sort of like having a gun in Britian. You can have one legally by going through the red tape and applying for permits, or you have one illegally with severe consequences if you get caught. Of course, the military and police forces should have access to them.)

----------------------------------------

1000 years

Four Empires (Aware)- The Colonies have formed into Four Empires and are aware of each Others Existence.

Non-sentient- only Plants and unintelligent Animal Evolved away from earth.

FTL Drives- The use Of FTL allows instantaneous transport across great distances.

Neither- Humans are Humans nothing Special happens

1000 years

Non-sentient- only Plants and unintelligent Animal Evolved away from earth. (But I still stand on my subject of semi-sentient beings.)

FTL Drives- The use Of FTL allows instantaneous transport across great distances.

Evolution- We were once amphibians, what will happen next?

Limited- It’s either very Expensive or very New so its not that common.

500 years (1000 years is too long of a development time. even if a planet was terraformed, the process would only take about 20-50 years. then, the process of building, developing, and then settling the planet would only take about 10-20 years depending on the population size.

the technology differential due to the development time is almost astronomical if you allow for 1000 years or more.)

Four Empires (Aware)- The Colonies have formed into Four Empires and are aware of each Others Existence. (even by 500 years, they should've made some form of contact with each other. however, i think the likelyhood of them forming some form of an alliance akin to the UN would be low depending on the distance involved and the mode of transportation.)

Non-sentient- only Plants and unintelligent Animal Evolved away from earth. (this is, of course, assuming that one or more of the groups didn't have to terraform their planet.)

Hyper-gates- The use of Gates allows faster than Light Travel.

Hyperspace- Hyperspace creates an artificial wormhole to travel. (i vote for a combination system. larger ships can both enter and exit hyperspace at will. however, smaller vessels need a hypergate to exit hyperspace. to compensate for traffic issues, several very large hypergates could've been erected between systems.

each of these could also be designated for certain types of traffic, depending on the government organization and so on.)

Evolution- We were once amphibians, what will happen next? (i vote for nothing more than artificial evolution. even in evolutionary terms, we are still a young species as 20,000 years is nothing compared to the millions of years that some species have been around. even an extra 5,000 years won't be much to make a difference.

as for artificial evolution, that's rather simple: make a bunch of cyborgs with varying degrees of artificial and natural systems combined into one.)

Limited It’s either very Expensive or very New so its not that common. (Lasers and other energy weapons already exist, but they also require huge platforms to work properly. in a thousand years, the technology might have been made small enough for certain platforms, but it certainly wouldn't be handheld.

something more realistic would be projectile-based weapons that use magnetic drive systems to fire the weapons. for anyone that's played a FPS, the term there would be a rail-gun.)

The Results so far are as follows.

Q1

500 years- 1

1000 years- 5

5000 years- 2

Q2

One Empire- 0

Allied Colonies- 1

4E (Aware)- 7

4E (Unaware)- 0

Q3

None- 0

Plant- 0

Nonsentient- 8

Sentient- 0

Q4

None- 0

Gates- 4

space- 2

FTL- 2

Q5

Neither- 3

Magic- 0

Evolution- 4

Both- 1

Q6

None- 0

Restricted- 3

Limited- 5

Widespread- 0

To break it down, as if this was how it will go. IT'll be based 1000 years after colonization, each colony has stuck to themselves but discovered each others exsistances, Humans are the only intelligant life in the galaxy but there are a whole bunch of Alien wildlife, We travel using Gates (but i think we'll add a second mode of FTL transport which can be less used), We've evolved (although the general concensus is that it's un-natural, but we'll do further votes for that later), and weapons are around put uncommon(again a vote to explain why).

Thats how it stands so far, This is not final and we want more votes, and if you have voted spread the word, the more the better to get this working.

There'll be a second round of voting on sunday which will get more specific.

Archived