Home

FireFox 2 is coming to pwn IE7!!!

RC-1162

I've tried FF2 RC3 and it reminds me of Microsoft Word's spell checker with its little red underline. Hopefully some of the useful plugins like Tab Mix Plus will get updated soon for it. I also noticed it doesn't seem to respond to the browser.throbber.url setting in about:config -- that's my quickie google.com button normally.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pee'd myself too... but that was before the post :(:xp:

Anywhoooo... since they're both in beta form, I'm not holding my breath, nor discounting either browser (too early to tell).. but hopefully IE has learned from their competition...

Nonetheless, without extension or theme capabilities, Firefox is still the browser I'm leaning toward... beta or not ;)

Doesn't anyone use Opera around here?

Being able to scroll through open tabs and navigate forwards and backwards through visited pages using your mouse rocks.

I don't think many people care about other browsers now, since features of other browsers have been added one way or other through the extreme Firefox Extensions. I for example, loved the whole united sidebar idea of Opera. I found it in Firefox with the extension "All-in-One Sidebar".

I bet there must be extensions for the feature you mentioned.

EDIT: FIREFOX 2 IS OUT!!!

They've even got a new Add-on site

I don't think many people care about other browsers now, since features of other browsers have been added one way or other through the extreme Firefox Extensions. I for example, loved the whole united sidebar idea of Opera. I found it in Firefox with the extension "All-in-One Sidebar".

I bet there must be extensions for the feature you mentioned.

EDIT: FIREFOX 2 IS OUT!!!

They've even got a new Add-on site

Thanks for the info, just installed it :)

Just installed it, already loving it :D

I've upgraded to Firefox 2.0 a few hours ago and so far I'm rather underwhelmed. Haven't seen much of the new features yet, but I have noticed that it still uses ridiculous amounts of memory (just like 1.5 did), that the user interface seems more sluggish and bulkier than in 1.5 and that the new GUI icons are uglier than the old ones. (Nothing new there though, Firefox's user interface has gotten worse with each new version after 1.07 in my opinion :roleyess:) I suppose I'll get used to it.

The DOM Inspector in the Tools menu has also gone AWOL for some reason. How evil, it was useful when making new pages. :crybaby:

Aside from that and the text area spell checker (which does seem like a useful feature, admittedly) things appear pretty much like they did in 1.5, so I assume most of the big changes warranting a 0.5 version jump are under the hood and not obviously noticeable by the user. :)

I've upgraded to Firefox 2.0 a few hours ago and so far I'm rather underwhelmed. Haven't seen much of the new features yet, but I have noticed that it still uses ridiculous amounts of memory (just like 1.5 did), that the user interface seems more sluggish and bulkier than in 1.5 and that the new GUI icons are uglier than the old ones. (Nothing new there though, Firefox's user interface has gotten worse with each new version after 1.07 in my opinion :roleyess:) I suppose I'll get used to it.

What is unusual is, that the Betas were actually a little faster than the final release. Things slowed up at RC3, I believe. I was thinking the problem was with my computer. :p

If you ask me, memory is the number one thing they need to look for in the next version. Firefox takes its own sweet time to load to start with, and FF2 is going a little sluggish as well. Luckily, its not as sluggish as IE7. :D Tabbrowsing in IE7 is so clumsy, I gave it up. I just use it like a flashy IE6 now. :p:D

If you ask me, memory is the number one thing they need to look for in the next version. Firefox takes its own sweet time to load to start with, and FF2 is going a little sluggish as well.

Agreed, with only 2 (LucasForums) tabs currently open my Firefox takes up roughly 87 Mb memory, and then I've even limited the memory cache to a maximum size of 16 Mb. Feels a bit over the top for a browser. It's not that I'll likely run out of memory any time soon but it still feels a bit annoying when things use up more resources than they logically should. I must have a slight bloatware allergy. :)

Further: You don't know how much a habit something has become until it is changed. I've lost count of the times I've clicked on the new "tabs menu" trying to close the currently opened tab today out of habit. Why did they have to move the close button onto each separate tab? That will take a while to re-learn... :)

check out the Firebug extension. It's very helpful for web page debugging.

Aha, that looks useful. I'll have a look at it, thanks for the advise. Still, I wonder why they removed the DOM Inspector function? Usually new versions mean adding new features, not removing existing ones. :)

Further: You don't know how much a habit something has become until it is changed. I've lost count of the times I've clicked on the new "tabs menu" trying to close the currently opened tab today out of habit. Why did they have to move the close button onto each separate tab? That will take a while to re-learn... :)

Lolz. I was used to this thing, not only because I've been using FF2 for a while now, but also because I used Tab Mix Plus on FF1.5...

This feature allows for better control over tabs, seemingly.

SpaceAlex keenly observed:

DOM inspector is still available in my browser

Yes I noticed I have it too -- perhaps it was the way you installed FF2? Did you choose a Custom Install? Perhaps the Typical install does not include it.

Yes I noticed I have it too -- perhaps it was the way you installed FF2? Did you choose a Custom Install? Perhaps the Typical install does not include it.

You're right.. DOM Inspector is an "optional" install component.. you have to custom install and make sure DOM Inspector is checked :)

What is this DOM Inspector anyways?

Here's the very basic page detailing the DOM Inspector:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/inspector/

But basically it's a tool that let's you view, manage and change webpage code "on the fly" and let's you view the build as you make changes.

Its a great tool to use for not only building pages, but to see how other people did their design and how/what (if any) changes made to that code would affect the build...

A few decent resource sites as well:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/DOM_Inspector

http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/BLOG-20050228

Yes, turned out I made the mistake of assuming that "typical install" would update the existing Firefox 1.5 install and all components currently installed. Which turned out to be false, since it left Firefox 1.5 untouched on my program partition and installed FF 2.0 on my system partition instead, and ignored my previously installed options. :roleyess:

Anyway, after uninstalling both FF 1.5 and FF 2.0 and reinstalling the latter the DOMI is back where it should be. :)

(At least I learned about FireBug due to all this, which seems like a very useful aid when doing pages.)

I also figured out that you can move the close button off each individual tab and back to where it used to be by changing the browser.tabs.closeButtons setting to 3. :) Much better. Having close buttons on each individual tab is pointless since you can just middle/wheel-click on a tab to close it anyway.

Sure, Firefox is great, but nothing to get excited about. I probably won't even get this new one for a while, despite how shiny it is. I just don't need it.

oh really?

here is a head to head comparison to fire fox 2.0 and IE 7.0

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6656808-1.html?tag=cnetfd.ld1

needless to say out of all 5 categories IE didn't beat fire fox once.

and you have to love the new built in Spell checker

and you have to love the new built in Spell checker

Seems like I have bumped into my first bug with Firefox, and it involves the spell checker. :)

One of the word correction suggestions have gotten permanently stuck at the top of the right-click context menu and won't go away even if clicking on something else than a text area (and it remains there even when clicking on others words in text areas). Hopefully there won't be more words stuck, or the menu might get rather long eventually. :)

foxybug.gif.051d6cb7fe6ec9d5339fc3f9187be439.gif

Archived