Home

Hobbit goes ahead without Jackson

Prime

Would it be a bad thing if it went in another direction visually?

Does this movie have to mimic the previous ones?

I think it could be very successful and just as satisfying even if Jackson didn't direct this.

Just as there's always someone out there that could ruin the series, there also are capable directors out there chomping at the bit to get the chance to produce this project.

There are some pretty bad directors out there, who can litterally tear a franchise apart *couch* Uwe Boll *couch.*

Ha ha ha... better watch out or Uwe will get you.

I don't think so. The book has a very different feel from the LOTR novels.

Does this movie have to mimic the previous ones?

You're right about the tone of the book Prime -- the director will have a big say in how that's handled. As far as technical aspects, I think it's safe to say the audience probably expects a lot from the special effects department. An actor in a rubber Gollum-suit wouldn't cut it. It's likely that New Line would choose to use Weta Digital again for the special effects, and since Jackson owns Weta Digital, he probably will still have some influence in that arena.

Now if they really have a falling out over this whole LotR thing, well who knows... maybe Industrial Light and Magic will step in. :o

As far as technical aspects, I think it's safe to say the audience probably expects a lot from the special effects department. An actor in a rubber Gollum-suit wouldn't cut it. It's likely that New Line would choose to use Weta Digital again for the special effects, and since Jackson owns Weta Digital, he probably will still have some influence in that arena.

Maybe then New Line Cinema will reconsider Jackson for director.

Bah. This is like the OT without Lucas.

It should be a good movie, though I have my doubts about without Jackson. Ah, well. I've been wanting to see this for years.

sorry,thats codswallop! GL created the SW movies and wrote all the story outline for all 6 films. If Fran (Wright?) and Phillippa Boyens did the script for the Hobbit, that'd be cool, but it may not happen. The new movie may not have the look and feel of the LOTR Trilogy, but if it has a great script and good actors, will be ok.

Cant say that I really care though, Im simply not into these books as much. This is mainly because Tolkien is such a really bad writer, - yes, I said it!! Great ideas/amazing universe, sure, but a bad storyteller. There are people in our very own fanfic forum who craft a story far better than him! But this is the problem when a linguistics professor tries to write a fantasy book. The screenwriter(s) for this project now has an opportunity to set things aright, just like the aforementioned ladies(and PJ Kong) did with the LOTR Trilogy.

mtfbwya

I know. I was just using it as a made-up example. :)

c'mon Devon, that's crazy talk !! A "made up example" ?? That is an oxymoron if Ive ever heard one !! Even if using it as an analogy, PJ Kong did not create LOTR, so it cannot be an analogy at all.

anyway, another thing with the Hobbit, it wouldve been much better if it was made 2 years ago, even last year, riding on the wave of public interest about Tokiens universe...which has since slowly crept back to the realm of the geek.

But Monkey Vs Dinosaur is more important to PJ, so it never happenned.

mtfbwya

c'mon Devon, that's crazy talk !! A "made up example" ?? That is an oxymoron if Ive ever heard one !!

Not totally. There are also examples which you may have seen in real life. But I was just being specific. :)

Even if using it as an analogy, PJ Kong did not create LOTR, so it cannot be an analogy at all.

No, but he had a major role in the making of the films.

But what a universe!!

At least he was smart enough to keep Drow out of it... :p

*Reports Prime for flame-baiting*

Drizzt would slice up nancy-boy Legolas in a heartbeat :p

The Drow, contrary to popular belief were not created by RA Salvatore, who created Drizzt Do'Urden. The king of all geeks himself, Gary Gygax came up with the drow when creating the D&D in 1979. However, there are mentions of "Dark Elves" in Scottish and Norse Mythology.

Still, Tolkien couldnt write his name on a napkin without it being a terrible read :(

mtfbwya

There are people in our very own fanfic forum who craft a story far better than him!
I'm sorry but, no. Just no. I'm probably breaking some rule or other you people have, but I have to let my opinions be known on the absurdity of a claim like that.

No offense intended to the fanfic writers, they're doing something they love to do, and that's fine, but they're not professional writers. Some of them are better than others, and I've even enjoyed one or two of the stories from time to time, but they are so far from Lord of the Rings calibre it's not even funny.

Remember that, in the 1940s, Tolkien was exploring uncharted territory when he wrote LotR. It's fair to say that there would most likely have never been a Star Wars galaxy if there had never been a Middle Earth. ;)

His storytelling style may seem somewhat antiquated in today's terms, but that doesn't mean that they're not well written.

Remember the Ralph Bakshi animated LOTR in the 70's? *shudder*

Actually it was done in live action - animation. While I do have problems with the Bakski movie. In someways to me it is superior to PJ's movie.

This even better news then LA telling us in a round about way that KotOR III will come out.

PJ can't write characters to save his live. Not only did he screw up the characters in LOTR. PJ also borked the characters from my beloved 1933 King Kong movie.

Archived