Home

The One Year Thread 2007: XWA's Celibatic Boogaloo

Rogue Nine

Yeah... it seems we have the fever this year. Last year just didn't have the "oomph".

Not sure what's different this time around, or whether it will last (probably drop off a bit over the summer months,) but it's nice.

Just got out of bed.

Even though the hacking cough that's been my constant companion for two weeks now seems to have subsided quite a bit today, I still felt terrible all day. Achy, feverish, and cloudy-headed. Made for a long day at work, even though I showed up late and left early.

I also scratched the hell out of one of my fenders when trying to back into a space at the garage. I misjudged the angle and brushed the concrete wall. Probably had something to do with the humming inside of my skull...

It's not bad... but still the worst mark I've ever put on this car.

My car is going on 7 years old... and I know I should expect the occasional scratch, bump, bang, and ding, especially considering where I live and work... but knowing it's there will still eat away at the perfectionist side of my soul for weeks... until something worse happens to take my mind off it. (Perfectionism is a total curse... don't let anybody ever tell you otherwise.)

I just ate and hit the sack as soon as I got home.

Got a few things done at work anyway, despite my state. Only one crew person showed up to do any work today though. Still, we managed to get a bit accomplished. Didn't totally finish the office today... but made some progress there, as well.

Called about my gee-tar. He told me to bring it by tomorrow afternoon and he'll take a look at it and make recommendations. Basically, my idea is to pretty much strip it back to the wood and rebuild it from there. New frets, new hardware, new pickguard, new pickups and electronics.

Huh. That will make tomorrow the first time I've carried an instrument in on the subway in like over 5 years. Wow. I did that every day for 5 years when going to college. It's gonna feel weird.

EDIT:

I was just digging through the list of "Who's Online" right now a few moments ago.

Someone (a 'guest' AKA: a not-logged-in or non-registered user) was printing out the contents of this thread.

Huh. :indif:

That seems a very curious thing to do.

It's difficult to imagine there's anything in this pile of nonsense that deserves the wasting of precious planetary resources to be committed to hard-copy.

Oh well.

Enjoy paging through our ramblings, whoever you are!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And who ever you are, we can find you.... eventually. I mean, it'd take 20 years, but we could do it. :D

ED: You seem to be in the know about the gee-tar stuff. I'm looking to learn, partially because of Guitar Hero II, which is a great party game, but partially because I realized something.

Expert Guitar players look impressive while jamming, and it's a get hot women aid. :D

((SEE: Allen Collins, Lynerd Skynerd))

So, I'm looking for a cheap intro buy into a guitar and amp, tuner, and is it better to be taught, or just try to pick it up myself? Limited budget though....

Anyway, still haven't started anything for work. Laziness abounds.

Crack you have come to the right place my friend... :D

Any of the cheaper Fenders (Strat, Tele...) are usually pretty good. So are the Epiphone copies if the Gibson line. They scrimp on the electronics somewhat to keep the prices down, but that shouldn't matter much when you are learning. You can always upgrade pickups down the road when you are ready to hit the stage.

Amps are a little trickier... but there have been a lot of lower priced amps that have come out in the last couple of years with a pretty slick array of features (including built-in tuners and full DSP effects.)

I've always felt having a teacher is a good jumping off point. Someone who can get you on the road, keep you from developing too many bad habits right out of the gate, and show you a few things to begin with that you probably wouldn't be able to figure out on your own.

After a year or 2 you may not need that anymore, and be able to glean what you need from books, video, and ear.

Or you may wish to get a different teacher to start to go over the more advanced stuff.

well, instead of doing my HW last night I played 4 hours of EAW: forces of corruption over my home LAN with a buddy.

holy CRAP is the SSD huge and still almost worthless, it started facing the wrong way and took was over half blown up by the time it turned around to fight.

Dropped off my guitar this afternoon. Sounds like it's gonna set me back if I do everything I want. But what the hell; I'll get a new guitar out of it... already broken in just how I like. :D

I don't think I'd get anything like that out of a brand new off-the-rack one for the kind of money I'm planning on spending here.

Gotta choose specific pickups though and call him back tonight or tomorrow. I'm leaning towards Duncans... just which specific models?

I also have to make sure he's ordering the vibrato bridge I wanted... he pointed to one in a catalog that I thought was it... but now I'm not as sure.

Hmm... thanks Ed, Kinda wish i lived near you, so you could teach me.

First snow yesterday. Shoveled drive way for the first time this winter. It's odd. Usually i've been out there 6-20 times already since december. Not that we mind the warm weather. Hell no, I'm not complaining. Keeps me happier.

Hmm... thanks Ed, Kinda wish i lived near you, so you could teach me.

Yeah... I could use a student. Would probably be fun. Keep me busy,.. learning the lessons before you to make it look like I know what I'm doing. :D

Maybe we can figure out some online distance learning thing. Swapping PDFs and mp3 files. Use inexpensive webcams or something. Hey, it is 2007... we should be able to pull that kind of thing off.

I gave Rhett some advice about inexpensive guitar gear a while back. You might want to check with him to how it all turned out.

I'll PM you the file of me playing on that CD I recorded a while back.

Once you hear it you may not want those lessons...

;)

EDIT: (I guess I wasn't really done for the night...)

Playing a Carlos Santana video on TV right now. "Smooth" Cool song... if unfortunately played to death. Couple of hawt lil' honeys in the vid, too...

Meeting Carlos and getting to talk with him for a while back in '99 when I was on tour has been just about the top highlight of my post-college career so far. It was just before that album really took off.

Come to think of it... I got to hear most of the songs off that album before it was released... and played live, too.

"You guys are doing the angel's work!" was what he said to us as he left.

Stuff like that just makes you feel ****in' great... I'll tell you what!

well, sadly I am checking in very shhortly, and checking out for the weekend. Going to see the woman and dont really get online much except to quickly check on email and ebay.

Should be a great long weekend, been a few weeks since we have seen each other.

Nothing exciting planned, just a nice long laid back holiday weekend

Gotta try to get through some of that list of "MUST DO: URGENT!!!!!" that I made a few weeks back... just before I got so sick and never got to crossing off more than a couple of items from that list. A few more things have been added since then too.

Sounds like a giant ball of fun,.. no?

Bleh.

I' surrounded currently by a small army of boxes. Cardboard, i can defeat them if they decide to get saucey. :twogun:

So, I'm almost packed up. Just need to take apart the computer and move it all over. Thus, I will be with out internet for a few days. So I'm not dead, just...

Not online. :D

See you all when I get connected again.

--Kyle

long day today....yet boring woke up 6:30 at the alarm, took shower, ate some frosted flakes, then i just walked out the door, walked 4 miles, my biking path, it took me 1 hour and 7 minutes. my knees did not appreciate that.

went to dunkin donuts for smoothie before going to work. work was boring, same old stuff, just slower cause people gone and blew all their money on xmas. :p

got done w/work, got a logitech microphone/earphone and the supplement Glucosamine Sulfate, the **** that actually works. when i got home, took some of that and felt somewhat better instantly. I then loaded galaxies up, and experienced crap GCW point Base farming, which was crap and made me afk and put in the movie 'unbreakable' which is pretty good movie, if not long (saw it once before).

Highlight of the day yesterday was going out to another extended lunch with a bunch of people from work. Seems like it may become a weekly ritual of sorts. That is, until we all get so busy at out respective jobs in a few weeks that we'll never be able to arrange to all be in the same place at the same time.

Still... it is in line with keeping with my primary resolution this year: to have something approaching a social life like normal people have. To that end I've also been forcing myself to talk to people a bit more at work. Y'Know... stick my head into offices that normally I would just walk by on my way somewhere else and try to just say "Hi!" or "Have a good night!" or something.

It's been a bit difficult. Attempting to start a conversation with somebody who is obviously busy with something else just simply isn't in my character. I usually don't care for it when someone does it to me. I wonder if I really appear as awkward and uncomfortable as I feel when I do manage to do it... Still, other people have no problems with it and do it all the time, so I suspect it must just be me.

Double post. So sue me. :dozey:

Spent the day trying to get through as many line-items on my list as I could before the energy ebbed and I collapsed.

Did a bunch of shopping at the wholesale club (mostly food... but also 2 DVDs that were really cheap: "Strange Brew" I love that movie; and "Unforgiven" Total classic!)

Cleaned up my home office and bedroom somewhat. Re-organized the CD collection again. Plus I got a huge stack of old magazines ready for recycling.

Also did some picking up and cleaning in the living room and kitchen... though I didn't get anywhere as near as far as I would have liked.

Still... crossing anything off the list helped to make me feel like something got accomplished today. Unlike the overwhelming majority of days in my life.

Gotta force myself to try to finish everything in the next 2 days. Impossible, I know... but the attempt must be made, for otherwise I will revert to my sloth like behaviour, and I will still be bitching about items found on this list 12 months from now. I might just get a few more things done...

only got 4 hours of sleep.

before i went to bed, wrote a list of stuff to accomplish between 7am and 11am. i was to wake up at 7, shower, eat breakfast, clean my room, set up my old computer, set up team speak, and then wash the dishes. got all but the dishes part done. setting up my old computer was kinda funny, it's alot slower than the one i have now, but a few songs i bought online are still on it... I have to fix my sister's computer sometime, so i may end up doing that sometime this week.

I found my selective service card, and realised i never did the address change since i moved, so i did that online and they may send me a new card.

afterwards i checked out a civil service website to see if any jobs there i would be interested in. nope. none. i may end up going for the air force, so my parents don't get all worried. After all, my friend is in, so why shouldn't i...and later on i can go to the army with that blue to green or whatever the hell plan they call it. i just wish the airforce site was as informative as the goarmy.com site...but regardless, i will definetely check it out in mid february or early march.

My knees are getting better. Hopefully no damage was done from not having that stuff.

Well,.. so much for getting a lot of important stuff done today. :rolleyes:

My former boss (the one who quit right around the same time as my cat died...) called me up this morning with computer issues. Specifically, he was wondering if I had an extra CD-RW drive laying around to replace his recently "kid-modified" one. :dozey:

Seeing as he has bequeathed me a huge pile of hardware and software over the years (he is the primary source for the 2 spare computers I have downstairs...) I really couldn't say no.

I dug out one of the RW drives from the spare PCs... threw it in my car, and headed down to his place in Pembroke.

I just got back a short while ago. Ended up having dinner there, and then playing card games most of the night with him and his family.

It was a good time. His kids got a bit out of hand... but even that was kinda entertaining (just glad it's not me with the kids! :D )

It was good to see him again. I always got along really well with him,.. other than that one week that he resigned. An even then I cut him some slack. It was just that I was having such a miserable week personally I couldn't really sympathize with his plight all that much... and vice versa, I guess.

Also, it was good to get away from the house and do something social as well. If I can keep that type of activity up and continue to make a habit out of it, this year might just be bound to be personally better for me than other recent ones.

My cat's going crazy tonight for some reason. Walking around the house howling. She's never done that before... but then she's picked up a number of increasingly odd behaviors ever since the other cat died. She's never been an only cat before in her life.

I'm not planning on getting another one, however. When she goes that will be it for a while.

She could be hearing outside animals too... there have been a number of coyote sightings around here lately. They could be making a racket out there that she's responding too. I don't know.

I'll put down some fresh food for her before bed and see if that helps to shut her up.

:toilet1: Anyone around? No? Oh well...

Well... a whole lotta nuttin' happened today. Got absolutely nothing of note accomplished.

So much for using my time off productively.

So, since I have nothing else of real value to post...here's edlib's current list of top 20 'desert island disks':

1.) Yes - Close to the Edge

2.) Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery

3.) Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom

4.) Steve Morse - High Tension Wires

5.) Iron Maiden - Powerslave

6.) George Carlin - A Place For My Stuff

7.) Rush - Moving Pictures

8.) Radiohead - OK Computer

9.) Dickey Betts Band - Pattern Disruptive

10.) The Police - Synchronicity

11.) Van Halen - Fair Warning

12.) The Beatles - Abbey Road

13.) Anggun - Snow On The Sahara

14.) Stravinsky - The Rite Of Spring (New York Philharmonic/ Zubin Metha cond.)

15.) Holst - The Planets (Berlin Philharmonic/ Herbert von Karajan cond.)

16.) John Williams - Close Encounters of the Third Kind OST

17.) Danny Gatton - 88 Elmira St.

18.) XTC - Nonsuch

19.) Kings X - Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

20.) Heart - Dreamboat Annie

Not a scientific accounting or even a truly complete or accurate list by any means... just the CDs that seemed to me (just now sitting here thinking about it...) to see the most mileage through my various players lately. Or the ones I would get the most enjoyment/ use out of if truly stranded on a desert island (with, presumably a portable CD player of some sort and a lifetime supply of batteries for it...) If I turned around and actually looked over my CD rack I might just have come up with a slightly different list.

Very well then... let the tearing apart of my tastes in music commence!

EDIT:

Oh,.. and I just realized today that the inspection sticker on my car is now a good 15 days expired. Um,.. so yeah. :o

I guess I'll have to do something about that soon.

20 is a lot of CDs. but i guess since you could replace them all with a single ipod, that isn't very much at all.

my list would include:

1. enigma: a posteriori

2. enigma: voyageur

3. enigma: cross of changes

4. thievery corporation: versions

5. anoushka shankar: rise

6. dusan bogdanovich....: bach with pluck

7. dusan bogdanovich....: bach with pluck vol 2

8. Genesis: selling england by the pound

9. alfred deller and the deller consort: hark ye shepherds

10. anthony phillips: field day

11. bjork: greatest hits

12. some recording of Handel's Messiah

13. thievery corporation: the outernational sound

14. thievery corporation: the cosmic game

15. jens gad: le spa sonique

16. massive attack: collected

17. peter gabriel: hit

18. phil collins: face value

19. steve hackett: til we have faces

20. ravi shankar: the essential ravi shankar

a little bit of almost everything.

10 seemed way too few to make a decent list that I wouldn't feel that I left most of my favorites off. Even 20 feels way to short to properly do it justice... but typing more would be almost like work. :D

What inspired me to do this now was putting away my CDs the other night. I noticed that the same 20 or 30 were the ones I ALWAYS have to put away every time I do this.

I do need to get an iPod one of these days, though... I'm still holding out for the terabyte size one though... anything smaller just doesn't seem enough. ;)

Maybe for my birthday this year...

thievery corp. is pretty good.

I forget the last cd i bought..i'll list my favorite ones i have though...

Godsmack IV

System of a Down Hypnotise

Nickelback All the Right Reasons

Disturbed 10,000 Fists

Memoirs of a Geisha Soundtrack

Three Days Grace One-X

Evanescence The Open Door

Kinda odd, how I haven't listened to much Trance music in a while..that's all I used to listen to back in the day.

I have issued forth communication and received a response from a certain ghost. She is alive and well and Canadian.

Honestly I didnt like Enigma - A Posteriori and - Voyageur that much. Screen Behind the Mirror is still my favorite. Gravity of Love is one of my favorite songs ever.

1 Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

2 Norah Jones - Feels the Same

3 Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts

4 Counting Crows - Across a Wire: Live From New York

5 Moby - Play

6 Avril Lavigne - Let Go

7 Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin

8 Enigma - The Screen Behind the Mirror

9 The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

10 Rammstein - Mutter

11 Rammstein - Sehnsucht

12 Prodigy - Fat of the Land