Home

Jedi Master Prestige Class?

Fish.Stapler

Has anyone actually played a light side consular/prestige class combo?

I've completed this game many times with all manner of class/prestige class combos, and yet I've never touched the Jedi Master class. I'm thinking it's time to change this, and I was wondering who has played one since I have a question...

How did you fight in combat? Did you use wave to knock people out and then slice them up while they were stunned, or did you go with a high charisma and use dark side powers, or something different from that?

I suppose I should stress what I want to know...

Re-stating for emphasis...how do you fight in combat? What powers and attacks did you use? Do you use offensive dark side powers and keep a high charisma (and not worry about running out of force with the high Force pool?) Or did you use things like Wave and Stasis field and cut enemies down while they're incapacitated...or some combination? Or something else?

Generally I just go with the flow and figure out on my own, but I'd like to see how the community played their Jedi Masters.

Edit, thanks Weasel :). You snuck that in there while I was still typing this out...that was my plan too, but I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Ah, ok, sorry for the mix up, didn't mean to confuse you.

Well, when I play with that class, I usually have Battle Meditation, Force Wave, Stun Droid, Master Speed, Force Armor, and Stasis Field. But when you play as a Consular, you don't learn some of the Lightsaber techniques, like Juyo or Niman, but it makes up with the Forec points.

Well, for specifics on the powers and feats, I use offensive powers like Force Wave, Stasis Field, and Destroy Droid, and defensive powers like Force Armor, Master Speed, Master Valor, and then of course Force Enlightenment which is a combination of those 3 powers. For feats, I use Master Flurry, Weapon Specialization: Lightsaber, Weapon Focus: Melee, Regenerate Force Points, and Master Two-Weapon Fighting, and Weapon Finesse: Lightsaber.

Hm, 'kay. Sounds like it could be an interesting play style. I think I'll have to take beancounters mod off insane (75% chance all enemies resist stasis/stuns/paralysis :/).

To me it seems like you could be far more powerful being a force oriented Watchman, which is what I usually am...for example, outfitted with Ossus Keeper Robes and Circlet of Saresh and then +dex and +constitution and +saves items everywhere else. Basically that gives you near irresistable force powers, but you can hold your own in combat, so my new question is...

Why play Jedi Master when you can have a Jedi Watchman?

Eager Wiesel... why the HELL would you want to dual wield or use a staff with a Jedi Master??? It is far more appropriate to take advantage of the standard blade as you can put points in more useful feats rather than wasting them on points just to try and make up for penalties (which if you aren't a weapon's master, or even a watchman, really aren't worth addressing)

Here is a question for the very experienced.

I know to create a Sithlord you need to start off with a consular to really take proper advantage of this.

Because the lightside powers are 'buff' powers (made particularly useful with force enlightenment) would you create a MORE powerful character by starting of with a Jedi Guardian instead of a Consular and then convert to a Jedi Master?

As long as you invest enough points into strength it should create a very powerful character? Maybe more powerful than a consular/master? Keeping in mind I want to role play and not zap everything with lightning/storm.

Well, I always thought combining different "class-variants" was more effective. For example, my favored combination in TSL is Sentinel/Jedi Master, because you get lots of skills as a sentinel without losing many feats that combine well the powers you get as a jedi master.

I was able to defeat ANY opponent in the game on the highest difficulty setting with this combination without much trouble.

The Guardian is not that special in TSL, since his attack rating is no better than that of anyone else (unless you use a mod).

So unless you need Force Jump, there's not much point in taking a guardian, especially not since skills are VERY useful in TSL (unlike KotOR).

Not sure if that applies, but the sith lord and jedi master classes seem pretty similar (and yes, I have played them both).

Hm, 'kay. Sounds like it could be an interesting play style. I think I'll have to take beancounters mod off insane (75% chance all enemies resist stasis/stuns/paralysis :/).

To me it seems like you could be far more powerful being a force oriented Watchman, which is what I usually am...for example, outfitted with Ossus Keeper Robes and Circlet of Saresh and then +dex and +constitution and +saves items everywhere else. Basically that gives you near irresistable force powers, but you can hold your own in combat, so my new question is...

Why play Jedi Master when you can have a Jedi Watchman?

Put simply, more force powers, and they're harder still to resist. If you play as this kind of watchman, which i have, force powers are very strong against regular enemies, and yet even with these upgrades, your powers still won't get thorugh against powerful enemies when you need the most. Also, you have a more limited pool of powers to choose from, disadvantaging you further. The loss of effectiveness in lightsabre combat is not particularly great since most of the extra damage comes from upgrades anyway.

btw, sorry for the double post.

Eager Wiesel... why the HELL would you want to dual wield or use a staff with a Jedi Master??? It is far more appropriate to take advantage of the standard blade as you can put points in more useful feats rather than wasting them on points just to try and make up for penalties (which if you aren't a weapon's master, or even a watchman, really aren't worth addressing)

What feats is it possible to get besides things that enhance your physical skills, besides Regenerate Force Points of course? You may think it's more appropriate to use a single blade, but I don't. I like duals, so what's the point of making myself physically weaker just so I can go along the lines of a "regular" Jedi Master?

I have played it it is quite difficuilt but its a chalange but beacuse you have so much force powers you can heal your self allot & use plenty of force powers to hurt them ike force push its basiccly the same a force lightning but in a diffrent form if that makes sence. Also you can statis them & just begin to cut them up.

The bosses are hard though.

Eager Wiesel... why the HELL would you want to dual wield or use a staff with a Jedi Master???

Very simple reason - you can use more mod-crystals in two lightsabers than in one. I always do myself, too.

Besides, nothing stops the jedi master from being a good with two lightsabers. Once you have all the two-handed feats, the penalties are practically non-existent, and switching to jedi master, you also get Weapon Focus: Lightsaber for free, if you haven't bought it already, which further adds to it. That may not result in the whopping bonus of the weapon master, but I had no problem taking down enemies like Nihilus or Sion playing a sentinel/jedi master with two lightsabers on the highest difficulty setting...

I have played it it is quite difficuilt but its a chalange but beacuse you have so much force powers you can heal your self allot & use plenty of force powers to hurt them ike force push its basiccly the same a force lightning but in a diffrent form if that makes sence. Also you can statis them & just begin to cut them up.

The bosses are hard though.

Heh, when something becomes difficulty on TSL, I'll murder myself. The game tells you that Consulars are for advanced players only, and its indeed harder on the beggining, for begginers. But it just gets better and better as you level up, cause you can get so many Force Powers, and ones with a good chance of working.

As JediPhile stated, I too prefer cross-class to play with. And Consular/Watchman is a great combo, for the same reason he stated, plus he level up even faster.

Very simple reason - you can use more mod-crystals in two lightsabers than in one. I always do myself, too.

Besides, nothing stops the jedi master from being a good with two lightsabers. Once you have all the two-handed feats, the penalties are practically non-existent, and switching to jedi master, you also get Weapon Focus: Lightsaber for free, if you haven't bought it already, which further adds to it. That may not result in the whopping bonus of the weapon master, but I had no problem taking down enemies like Nihilus or Sion playing a sentinel/jedi master with two lightsabers on the highest difficulty setting...

Exactly. I'm always able to plow through every enemy in the Trayus Academy in one blow, even as a Jedi Master, while playing on "Difficult". That's why I think it is the best class. Weapon Masters may be insanely good at fighting, but there really isn't much you can do to make them be good at using the Force. Masters, on the other hand, are already naturally powerful with the Force, and it's pretty simple to just use all the best upgrades for the sabers. I've gotten my damage up to about 66-78 being a Master.

So really, if you do all the right things, Masters can become gods at both.

Bah, stop playing on only on difficult, go get Beancounters mod ya pansies :xp:!

Well, thanks for your input. @Salzella...force powers don't come through where they're needed the most? Sion couldn't resist stasis field (without hardcore mod) on my sentinel/watchman. Force wave? Couldn't resist it. De-equip my lightsaber, use no buffing powers, and UNARMED him to death - he never hit me. (This was on a no-mod game at all, so no uber-powerful weapons). So basically, it seems to me my watchman will still trump your Jedi Master since his force powers won't be resisted AND he can't be hit.

I will play a Jedi Master, but they don't seem like they'll be able to stand up to watchman in terms of utility.

i suppose the penalties aren't too bad for dual wield.

... i guess i just like the idea that most jedi carry a standard sabre that they die by :D :D i think it's just awesome the idea of having a single piece of metal only half a foot long (not a staff) that you use to hone the force with and live by :)

that said i think that single saber is better any way coz if your not aiming to kill ABSOLUTELY everything and pick every lock and mine then you aren't going to have a huge level and where you place your points matters... alot. You can get master flurry, master toughness, force pool and other feats much sooner to help you out rather than having to waste 3 points to begin with to dual wield. However, as pointed out, having 12 lightsaber inputs is a huge bonus ... an unfair one i think... especially because from doing kendo that one twohanded weapon can usually outdo two one handed weapons with the same skill due to the difficulty to block shots with one hand (meaning you have to reinforce your blades with each other or they get knocked out of your hand) ... besides, all the really powerful sith used the standard weapon except kun

Jedi Master isn't that impressive. Every single class can achieve having lethal force powers. even guardian/weaponmaster.

It really depends on the following:

High wisdome

High charisma

and everyone can get that. Consular actually has a feat that improves the "breakthrough" with force powers, but Jedi master doesnt have that afaik.

And always use dual sabers. Double the crystals, double the fun (and power).

Single saber offers +3 on defense and attack. Just wow. I prefer double damage along with better attributes due to crystals. I still use single saber cause I like the style though. :)

i suppose the penalties aren't too bad for dual wield.

... i guess i just like the idea that most jedi carry a standard sabre that they die by :D :D i think it's just awesome the idea of having a single piece of metal only half a foot long (not a staff) that you use to hone the force with and live by :)

that said i think that single saber is better any way coz if your not aiming to kill ABSOLUTELY everything and pick every lock and mine then you aren't going to have a huge level and where you place your points matters... alot. You can get master flurry, master toughness, force pool and other feats much sooner to help you out rather than having to waste 3 points to begin with to dual wield. However, as pointed out, having 12 lightsaber inputs is a huge bonus ... an unfair one i think... especially because from doing kendo that one twohanded weapon can usually outdo two one handed weapons with the same skill due to the difficulty to block shots with one hand (meaning you have to reinforce your blades with each other or they get knocked out of your hand) ... besides, all the really powerful sith used the standard weapon except kun

Well, if your point is that the system is flawed in favor of dual wields, then I'm not going to argue at all. Dual wield is far more advantageous, which is probably why so many of us use it. Single-sabers just aren't good enough by comparison. You can get some decent bonuses from building the Duelist feat tree, but it costs just as much as building Two-handed and isn't as good. Mostly duelist just gives you a +1 bonus to both attack and defense, and that just doesn't make up for extra attacks with another weapon that you can pour power-up crystals into, some of which are pretty awesome. Heck, there are times I put the name-crystal in the smaller lightsaber because the bonus is the same, and then I add all the best in the major saber, which I get more and better attacks with.

The duelist option should give extra attacks also. Then it might actually be considered. But with all the saberslots in two lightsabers, I doubt it...

Bah, stop playing on only on difficult, go get Beancounters mod ya pansies :xp:!

Well, thanks for your input. @Salzella...force powers don't come through where they're needed the most? Sion couldn't resist stasis field (without hardcore mod) on my sentinel/watchman. Force wave? Couldn't resist it. De-equip my lightsaber, use no buffing powers, and UNARMED him to death - he never hit me. (This was on a no-mod game at all, so no uber-powerful weapons). So basically, it seems to me my watchman will still trump your Jedi Master since his force powers won't be resisted AND he can't be hit.

I will play a Jedi Master, but they don't seem like they'll be able to stand up to watchman in terms of utility.

Well maybe you just want more of a challenge? A different way to play? :p

I was a consular/Master combo almost every time I played the game... I found that I could be fair enough in lightsaber combat to hold my own, and I was a "master" at force powers which made up more than enough for my shortcomings in combat.

I was a consular/Master combo almost every time I played the game... I found that I could be fair enough in lightsaber combat to hold my own, and I was a "master" at force powers which made up more than enough for my shortcomings in combat.

Agreed. I find the Force more useful than a Lightsaber.

I've played through twice, once as a DS pure caster and once as a LS pure caster.

Quite plainly, the advantages/disadvantages are:

Consular:

+Force Focus (Your powers are harder to save against)

+Force Forms

+Force Points

+Force Powers

+Early Saber Forms

-Advanced Lightsaber Forms

-Vitality Points

-Feats

Master/Lord:

+Advanced Force Forms

+Force Points

+Force Powers

+Party Member Alignment Affect

-Advanced Lightsaber Forms

-Vitality Points

-Feats

Advanced Force Forms, in order that you get them:

Affinity: Force Regen in Combat

Force Potency: -Save Level, +Damage, +Cost

Force Mastery: +Save Level, +Power Duration, +Cost

Consulars still get Shii-Cho, Makashi, and (can't remember name) lightsaber forms.

Personally, using this, I became a neverending well of irresistible force power early on.

Archived