Home

Realism in KOTOR 3

legend222

RPG's are not about button-mashing. If you want that, you're asking for an entirely different game. There are far more button-mash Star Wars games out there than there are RPGs, go play them instead.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard setting is ridiculously easy. After playing many CRPG's and MMO's, I know how to build a character. This means that I could do ridiculous damage and still never get hit. On hard setting, I killed Darth Sion with no weapon. Just good old fists.

Seeing K3 turn into a live-action RPG would break my heart. KotOR 3 != Oblivion. It was designed around different principles and a live-action combat system simply does not fit. I play KotOR because it's relaxing (Hardcore mods fix that a little :)) to be able to not have to be on my toes searching for every weakness. The dice system is perfect, it fits KotOR etremely well. There is no need for change. Jedi Knight is your star wars game for live action, please don't change the entire KotOR genre to something that isn't needed.

You definitely don't know what I'm trying to say here.

Oh, I do indeed know what you are trying to say here... hence my post.

While my examples are an obvious extreme of your suggestions they are exactly what you are advocating.

The rest my above colleagues have already covered.

My favorite of them is this statement;

But hey, if you like that so much, then there are certainly games for you. You seem to enjoy Episode III. Fine. Why, then, can't the rest of us keep KotOR the way we like it? It's not like there aren't alternatives out there for you.

Words of wisdom windu6... words of wisdom.

*Snip*

Again this is subjective... does it even occur to you that everyone doesn't like button-mashing, some RPG players are physically incapable of playing them. What about them... why must you insist in taking away their favored game style for your vaunted button-mashing?

*Snip*

Well stated RedHawke. GRPG like the KotOR series have an older male and larger female fan base.

To you, perhaps. But there are those of us who prefer the combat system in KotOR. Heck, there people who play it ONLY because it's Qui-Gon Jinnturn-based combat. If you like button-smashin, good for you, but I don't want to play it - I want my RPG character to do well or badly in the game because of how I chose to build him and his stats and not because I'm good or bad at smashing buttons. That's what "role-playing" means to me. Otherwise my character would be little more than a graphical representation. I've played Jedi Academy only a few times. I've replayed KotOR and TSL over and over. The reason for that is fairly obvious.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong I might think you are. I see nothing on the CRPG scene to suggest that RPGs based on the principles of dice (which really just means random results based on probabilities of using certain skills) are anywhere close to going away.

But hey, if you like that so much, then there are certainly games for you. You seem to enjoy Episode III. Fine. Why, then, can't the rest of us keep KotOR the way we like it? It's not like there aren't alternatives out there for you.

Well stated Jediphile. When I want Jedi combat like in the movies I play either JO or JA. When I want a deeper story I play the KotOR series. While I like action RPGs like the Gothic series and the Elder Scroll series. I just don't see that type of game fitting into the Star War Universe. The reason I say this is because to me besides the struggle between good and evil. The pillar of the Star Wars Universe is relationships. Whether its' Luke_Leia_Han or Qui-Gon_Obiwan_Anakin_Padame relationships. This is something that action RPGs cannot do.

Oh, I do indeed know what you are trying to say here... hence my post.

No, you still fail to understand.

Words of wisdom windu6... words of wisdom.

I don't care what he said, why should care what he want?

I like KOTOR too, I just despise the combat.

Well, Let me make myself more clearer.

I don't want, I repeat, I don't want:

To get rid of the Attributes;

Strenght, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom & Charisma.

To get rid of Character skills; Computer Use, Demolitions, Stealth, Awareness,

Persuade, Repair, Security & Treat Injury.

Or, I don't want to get rid of character feats either.

What I want is action combat.

What they should also do is input a gameplay option, realistic combat, that will satisfy those of us who want to turn health bars off.

To be fair, I would be happy with a gameplay option to turn off turn base combat,

for those of us who don't want the Computer A.I. to have all the fun in combat.

If they can do that, then they can keep that difficulty class; dice combat, probability combat, random combat, turn base combat or whatever they called it.

To satify those of you who love to see the computer A.I. doing all the hard work. :lol:

So, stop panicking that want to destroy, Character Skills, Character Attributes and Character Feats.

I love those facets, they just should add a Real Time combat( Action RPG option) gameplay option, to satisfy all of us.

If you are now still not happy, then fine then.

RedHawke! :)

Physically incapable to play button mesh games? I guess when you've got an injured hand, that may be true, but, out of all people who played Kotor, how many are "incapabale" to play button mesh games...

0.2%?

And do Kotor like RPGs really attract the more mature, older people? Well i can give only personal examples, but no adult aged 25+ that I know would consider Kotor as "mature". Same for star wars.

windu6, I played Fable's combat game, with stats and real-time action. Fable had a bad storyline, but its gameplay was worse. All I just did was run and hit, run and hit. That's NOT how a real battle is supposed to go. You go in close-combat, and you and the enemy BOTH attack each other.

Why do one have to hit and run? That's not the way of a warrior, that's the way of the coward.

KotOR is perfectly fine the way it is, and it should stay the same. I like both Action and Turn-Base games, but KotOR is much better suited with turn-base. Not that action is less fun, but it doesn't belong in KotOR. There are plenty of Star Wars action game alternatives (RotS, TFU when it comes out, etc.). If you want to go nreak your keyboard smashing buttons, then go buy one of them.

And the majority of KotOR fans want it to stay the way it is. Remember the poll on this thread?

Because doing otherwise breaks the unspoken pact that what we say here is taken seriously. You may not agree with me, and that's fine, but if you say that you don't care what anyone but yourself thinks, then it immediately prompts two questions:

1. If you don't care what I think (and I'm scarcely alone), then why should we care what you think?

2. If you don't care what anyone thinks, then why are you even bothering participating in the discussion?

That poll is bias, it don't represent the opinions of every KOTOR fan in the world.

So, don't come to me with that mess. :lol:

Meh. That sounds a bit to me like you're speaking for "the silent majority," which is always a bit too easy, since the "silent majority" will never tell you that you're wrong - they're silent, after all...

Sorry, but that's sophistry to me.

Its not like programming an NPC to notice your character is light/dark alinged is hard to do. they obviously did it with that lady who gets pissed if you show up with lightsabers in hand. Besides, it would be fun if the game was more interactive with your LS/DS allignment, heck, there could even be a neutral alignment.

I'd like NPCs who attack you/run away/give you stuff/get info from based on your alignment. yeah, your ugly when your dark sided, but does anyone other than the dancing coach care? no.

The dice rolls and turn based combat the single best points of KotOR Gameplay because they are what make it great. Look at the choreographing of the lightsaber duels. Seriously. If it was a button masher, combat would once again look like swing your lightsaber through the other guy's chest a thousand times to kill him.

Speaking of difficulty in KOTOR 1, 2 and (hopefully) 3 I think one shift would be very welcome; now (being rather somewhat of a noob) I'm not speaking about the purely technical part, which may prove a really tough obstacle, but it did annoy me very much, when the - alledgedly - more 'challenging' settings meant only boosting your enemies powers, hit points etc. Being a powerful Jedi / Sith you had to 'fight for your life' against each petty thug, simple grunt etc. Instead of boosting the powers of each enemy you encounter I would suggest 'simply' (knowing how hard this may be from the technical point of view) MORE ENEMIES AT ONCE. Apart from the vexed issue of reality, illusion and game conventions, it would simply make the gameplay more satisfying, as is slaughtering your enemies by dozens rather than one by one.

No, you still fail to understand.

Hardly... I only know what you type and from your posts, responses to others, and your contradictory claims and desires.

Jediphile stated a response to this already so I will stand by his remarks to you on this.

I love those facets, they just should add a Real Time combat( Action RPG option) gameplay option, to satisfy all of us.

There is no "satisfy all of us" in the world of game design. But I have replied to you as to why this is so in the past. You also don't spend prescious development resources on features only a slim part of the audience would ever use.

Also since you have already stated "you don't care" further conversation with you is moot.

Physically incapable to play button mesh games? I guess when you've got an injured hand, that may be true, but, out of all people who played Kotor, how many are "incapabale" to play button mesh games...

0.2%?

Actually Velastraz, you misunderstood my meaning...

I was actually talking about things called arthritis, carpel tunnel, things called disabilities. Those are what I was actually referring to.

When designing a game like KotOR, a 'pure' RPG, you have to cater to a broader audience than the ADD button-mashers of the world, their type of game is not what RPG makers are making when designing a 'pure' RPG. They are not a broad part of the audience. They are actually a very small part of the audience.

For every Grand Theft Auto, there are also games like NWN and Baldurs Gate... games, just like movies, have things called genres... and your target audience is different than those for an 'action game' would be.

And do Kotor like RPGs really attract the more mature, older people? Well i can give only personal examples, but no adult aged 25+ that I know would consider Kotor as "mature". Same for star wars.

'Pure' RPG's by design are for a broader audience... it really isn't about 'maturity'... whilst games like Grand Theft Auto and the others of their kin, called 'action' games are targeted at another type of audience.

Before you even start designing a game you have to indicate what your 'target audience' will be, sometimes the 'concept' already has an audience in mind. This indicates a major part of the types of 'features' you will need to include in said game project.

Of course you will stand by his remarks, you dice players stick together. :)

Clearly you don't know the history between RedHawke and myself very well...

Frankly it's a historic event if we agree on something, and when I saw his comments here, I DID check to see if Hell had frozen over.

Of course you will stand by his remarks, you dice players stick together. :)

Actually a dice like approach is always better for a story-oriented rpg. Well there are many rpg that uses a bunch of randomization on hits and damage and such, that is no different from dice roll. And no, you are dealing damage in 9999 and the like doesn"t make it more/less realistic/unrealistic than the simple 1-20 dice rolling, or any types of modified dice rolling system for that matter. WEll the point is to relieve the actin related bitz to the AI so the player can focus more on the story, while not being totally out of the loop when it comes to combat.

Action rpg is nice, but different(zelda anyone). Yes puzzle solving and chopping and such is cool, but thats juet not what kotor is. In action rpg quite often you can finish much more powerful foes with skills alone. Technically if not for the driving GTA can be called an action rpg.

• 1 month later...

The dice factor is pretty important for this kind of combat. Otherwise you'd just be swinging your saber around crazy like the Jedi Knight series.

The day and night idea is also good, but I think the transitions between the two should be longer than what you see in other games like Fable. Instead of hours passing in seconds, they should pass in minutes. That way, you won't be running from one side of a room to the other and it's already mid-day.

Originally Posted by windu6

What was ruin, was the combat in KOTOR I-II, the combat was a disgrace for true Jedi fans.

Actually, this kind of combat IS for true Jedi fans and even true Sith fans because it requires strategy and thought about the best course of action. Button-mashing is for fans of enraged Dark Jedi that attack without thinking (like Anakin in Ep2 when he attacks Dooku by himself, only to be brushed aside like a ragdoll).

Originally Posted by windu6

What they should also do is input a gameplay option, realistic combat, that will satisfy those of us who want to turn health bars off.

To be fair, I would be happy with a gameplay option to turn off turn base combat,

for those of us who don't want the Computer A.I. to have all the fun in combat.

If they can do that, then they can keep that difficulty class; dice combat, probability combat, random combat, turn base combat or whatever they called it.

To satify those of you who love to see the computer A.I. doing all the hard work.

Since this thread was originally about realism, I would like to say that in reality, this would NEVER happen. Its inefficient in both cost and time so no game developer would ever even consider such an idea.

I think KOTOR 3 should be a bit more realistic. When I say realistic I don't mean getting hit once with a saber and dieing. I think the people in the city's should do more than just walk around, they should talk to each other express feelings and things like that. And what about night and day? Dantooine for example is always day, I don't know about you but it really starts to annoy me. Day and night should change like in Neverwinter Nights II. Also people should pay more attention to the fact that the character is a Jedi\Sith. I walk around the city with a robe and lightsabers in each hand and no one notices? These are just details but they're still important.

If it is moving to the HD scene of console gaming, it could very well be more realistic. I would love to see more interactivity aswell, however i wouldn't mind another game like the first Kotor which i absolutely loved.

Fable has a greater sense of realism, ie the "people" react to you when you do things and interact with you more like run screaming if you are evil or exclaim how wonderful you are if you are good.

Exactly, it's what i would like to see a bit more of in K3. But if some people may have seen some videos for test levels on Fable 2 it seems way more realistic, definately what K3 should have. For example, in Fable 2, people react with you in a more "realistic" manner. Your choices effect you and others around you more seriously, the NPCs seem to have a mind of their own, giving a more "realistic" feeling about it. K3 should have something like it.

Archived