Home

How do YOU play "old school" games on current OSes?

Char Ell

So I was in a used bookstore a couple weeks back and said bookstore also has a section of used PC games. I was flipping through the various titles, reminiscing over some of them I had played so many years ago when I came across a jewel case for Dark Forces. I never played DF and so I thought I would try it out and see if I could run it on my Windows XP system. After all it was only USD $5 dollars.

To get right to the point, I installed DF, originally designed for DOS/Windows 95 of course, on my WinXP system and of course it didn't really work. The game would run but the sound wouldn't work since the game was only set up to work with SoundBlaster 16 sound cards and such. Needless to say that wasn't much fun. :(

I've got an older PC that I could have used to play the game on but I wasn't that motivated. :p So I decided to try out Microsoft's free download Virtual PC 2007. Once I got Virtual PC 2007 installed, set up a virtual machine, and then installed Windows 98 to the virtual machine I could then install and run Dark Forces. It worked pretty well though it took a while to set up.

So what does everybody else do when they run old school games originally designed for DOS or Win9x? Dual boot? Keep an old system handy just for that purpose? Perhaps someone out there has a better solution than the virtual machine route.

yeah, virtual machining is one way to go about it...but you need a copy of that older OS to do that of course.

Im having trouble with monkey island in xp. Not even bothering with the older games in Vista....not when a coupel of my gave 2006 games a re still buggy in it!

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...
I really want to get my hands on Super Puzzle fighter 2. Man it was great on the PS1

DMUK

DMUK....I thought you had moved on?? .... anyway, nice to see you around again !!! :)

couple of options:

epsxe is an awesome ps1 emu. I the entire Final Fantasy 8 and 9 on it with no probs. If you have the original disc from teh ps1, you can run its cd or make an iso for it to run from :)

or you could just get the pc version :pCLICKITY

mtfbwya

you could always do what i did for a friend: i bought an old compy at a yard sale and installed Windows 98 on it. it takes care of most of the compatibility issues, and the total cost was less than $100. not bad at all, IMHO. ;)

Problem is, where do you put the dinosaur PC you'll only use to play old school games?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived