Home

Overrated Bands?

urluckyday

Hey guys...I'm not one to usually start threads, but here it goes.

This thread is for the discussion of what you guys find to be the most overrated bands out there right now. I would hope that you would keep the discussion clean...and I want everyone to remember, these are all opinions. Enjoy!

Oh there are plenty, in my sincere opinion. Some examples being Linkin Park, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Evanescence, Green Day, U2 and so on. In general, any band that tries to fuse two genres, publicize itself too much, be American (no offence, my yankee buddies), be overstylish (does not apply to Black Metal) and so on gets included in this list.

What I don't understand is why people claim that x band is overrated, but don't explain why. I understand that people claim FOB is overrated because the guys are practically media whores, but that doesn't have anything against their music, which IMO is pretty decent. For the most part I think it's mostly those haters who instinctively refuse to jump the bandwagon that create all this overrating junk.

What I don't understand is why people claim that x band is overrated, but don't explain why.

I believe the answer would be, that people have a notion that a certain band is making more publicity or being more popular than it deserves, in the individual's opinion.

I, for example, hate Hip-Hop and Rap very strongly. Seeing nothing but the above on Music Video channels, I am tempted to say that Hip-Hop/Rap is overrated, because it's not good (IMO) and it is being shown way too much in comparison to Metal.

I, for example, hate Hip-Hop and Rap very strongly. Seeing nothing but the above on Music Video channels, I am tempted to say that Hip-Hop/Rap is overrated, because it's not good (IMO) and it is being shown way too much

Yeah, I agree. Its all you ever hear these days, everyone has it as thier ringtones. I hate looking at peoples mp3s or I-Pods, and its full of 50Cent, Tupac, Chingy etc;

Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Evanescence, Green Day, U2

Okay, **** you. Lol joke.

As for Fall Out Boy.... "In Communist Russia, cock sucks Fall Out Boy!" They are intensely overrated. Why? Because their music is very, very mediocre. They get a lot of publicity/attention despite being incredibly ordinary. Have a listen to their music, and they're not doing anything special at all. Nothing I haven't heard before anyway.

FoB (How much attention do they want? And they are not the next big things)

MCR (They sing about the lamest stuff)

50cent (Lame melody's, lame rhymes and lame in general)

Rap is easily the most overrated genre, there are only a few good songs and even fewer artists, the best being John Cena.

Punk like MCR is far too overrated.

Some people have said U2 overrated, I don't think many people agree with that comment.

Well, whatever. They sound punk to me, or maybe emo.

And I never said they sing about nothing, I said they sing about the lamest stuff.

AkumaSF, would you care to enlighten us on exactly what they -do- sing about? Now, now children, I know you're all raising your hands for this one, but I want Akuma to answer it...

Music is essentially based on your opinions. If there is anybody who wants to listen the music of a specific genre and if there is demand for it, the music will be created. And generally, the music of a specific culture may be based on the music they listen to. For instance, Rap and Hip-Hop is very popular amongst Afro-Americans.

I personally don't really like many of those new modern bands that are out there. And I used to listen to Rap/Hip-Hop often, not as much as I usually do. I personally don't think it is overrated. Though, there are some artists who are making Rap look like a joke. *cough* John Cena *cough* And shows like The (white) Rapper's Show. :dozey:

Though, answering your question, I think bands like Fallout Boy & My Chemical Romance, bands like that are overrated.

While I enjoy their one song (Over My Head), I have to say that "The Fray" is waaaay overrated. They are just really boring and not unique at all. I mean, besides that song...all their music is pretty lame.

You, my friend, have just made yourself an enemy. -_-

And the only reason most people think that is because there are four tracks on the CD that are nothing but piano solos w/ Slade singing.

The rest though, is very unique, so I beg to differ. One of the biggest differences between The Fray and most mainstream rock is its heavy use of the piano, which IMO creates for a very dramatic, almost cinematic sound.

Archived