Home

If you were to terraform and rule a planet... (testosterone warning)

Arcesious

No, I don't already rule a planet. The terraformed planet is just a military installation and staging ground.

So let's see if I got it right. You make a "useless war planet" in order to take over other usefull planets, instead of making a usefull planet yourself. What's the point?

just because conquerers in the past have been jerks doesn't mean anything about my own rule.

Spoken like a true conqueror, right before screwing up the conquered:D

it would be a pretty cushy job.

Well, I'd say "working" all day with Natalie easily beats that, but each to their own:D

J7: Hope you enjoy having me essentially fighting myself:xp:

R7: You said you are not going to admit being a horny teenager, then you talked about being given a godess class hottie in the next sentence:D As for there being hope for you, it's just a little jibe at your (possibly undeserved) "propperness":xp:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone loves to compare things to Hitler when they can't think of anything else to say. Besides, just because conquerers in the past have been jerks doesn't mean anything about my own rule.

You delude yourself with that statement

You have power over a whole world and want more? You could of formed your world in anyway, and you chose to be militarily aggressive...

All the evidence necessary to solve this is in thread; my planet is benign yours is war like, you would like to commit war on other planets thus killing millions of people, all for what? Wealth, money and power? I say that's like Hitler and you say no?

Ever here the phrase absolute power corrupts absolutely?

Anyone that wants the kind of power your talking about is corrupted by it; what happens when someone disagrees with you? What happens when someone doesn't want to be ruled by you?

Incidentally, I accuse your avatar of being similar to Hitler.

Oh, hows so? I don't wish to have control over the whole planet, so care to explain yourself?

J7: Hope you enjoy having me essentially fighting myself:xp:

No, my friend; I think you have revealed a very interesting, creditable and true side to your character; your Revan is Kreia's Revan, turning to the Darkside for the good of others; I may not agree with it, and may consider it folly, however as Morgan Freeman remarks in Robin Hood; "There are no perfect men in this world, only perfect intentions."

So let's see if I got it right. You make a "useless war planet" in order to take over other usefull planets, instead of making a usefull planet yourself. What's the point?

What else am I going to use an uninhabited planet for? I don't see why anyone would live there.

You have power over a whole world and want more? You could of formed your world in anyway, and you chose to be militarily aggressive...

Who's to say militarily aggressive? I obviously wouldn't attack anybody who doesn't attack first.

All the evidence necessary to solve this is in thread; my planet is benign yours is war like, you would like to commit war on other planets thus killing millions of people, all for what? Wealth, money and power? I say that's like Hitler and you say no?

Where do you get the idea that this would involve killing tons of people? This is just a matter of convincing the major nations that they would be facing far superior technology and therefore wouldn't be able to win. This isn't rocket science. It's not like I'm asking people to swallow magnets or something.

Spoken like a true conqueror, right before screwing up the conquered

It's not my fault you choose to believe in stereδtypes.

Well, I'd say "working" all day with Natalie easily beats that, but each to their own

Just because someone's a ruler doesn't mean they don't have concubines.

Anyone that wants the kind of power your talking about is corrupted by it; what happens when someone disagrees with you? What happens when someone doesn't want to be ruled by you?

What happens when they don't want to be (I'm not sure why they wouldn't; I don't plan on oppressing new provinces) is up to them.

Ever here the phrase absolute power corrupts absolutely?

Sure, but it also kicks absolute ass.

What else am I going to use an uninhabited planet for? I don't see why anyone would live there.

You lacked the imagination to put anyone on your planets...

Who's to say militarily aggressive? I obviously wouldn't attack anybody who doesn't attack first.

The very nature of a "military installation" supposes aggression; it also supposes that you need a military..

There is an element of truth to all stereotypes.

What happens when they don't want to be (I'm not sure why they wouldn't; I don't plan on oppressing new provinces) is up to them.

This answers my questions how?

Sure, but it also kicks absolute ass.

Keep telling yourself that; those who live by the sword die by the sword.

You lacked the imagination to put anyone on your planets...

Considering the fact that the rest of your peoples' planets are practicallγ the same thing, I don't see any problems with mine.

The very nature of a "military installation" supposes aggression; it also supposes that you need a military.

What kind of nation that isn't completely isolated doesn't need any sort of military?

There is an element of truth to all stereotypes.

You are using that as an excuse to say that the stereotype that you believe is true.

This answers my questions how?

I don't see why it needs to.

Keep telling yourself that; those who live by the sword die by the sword.

I'd rather die by the sword while fighting for something than die a lingering, slow, forgetful death.

Considering the fact that the rest of your peoples' planets are practicallγ the same thing, I don't see any problems with mine.

How is my planet the same thing?

What kind of nation that isn't completely isolated doesn't need any sort of military?

You can't have this both ways, you moan about stereotypes then use them?

You are using that as an excuse to say that the stereotype that you believe is true.

No, I have justified my logic and you have failed to refute it in anyway. Besides stereotypes are designed to simplify thinking and all people use them to varying degree's; do you really want to go in depth with a philosopher on this?

I don't see why it needs to.

Chocolate ice-cream.

If you quote me, and then write something under it, normal convention would be that it would address my point.

I'd rather die by the sword while fighting for something than die a lingering, slow death.

Your prerogative, though a) not everyone thinks like this b) you ever been shot or stabbed? I assure you despite what the movies portray its very painful.

I didn't know this entire thread was supposed to be some kind of ridiculous discussion on morality. Why do I have to think inside of a box if the whole concept is fictional anyway? All I was trying to do was put an Φriginal idea in this thread.

I didn't know this entire thread was supposed to be some kind of ridiculous discussion on morality. Why do I have to think inside of a box if the whole concept is fictional anyway?

You think your outside the box? :rofl:

We're all inside boxes....

We can finish this particular branch of the thread if you so wish.

The thread in itself was an original idea on the part of Arc, ones character is reflected in many ways, especially to questions of the nature posed here, meditate on this if you wish; or not.

This is just a matter of convincing the major nations that they would be facing far superior technology and therefore wouldn't be able to win. This isn't rocket science. It's not like I'm asking people to swallow magnets or something.

Nice theory, to bad it hasn't worked well in practise, Gauls fought the Romans, the Natives the Setlers, Afghans the Soviets, Afghans the Americans. You might not be asking them to swallow magnets, but pride is much harder to swallow.

I believe in stereotypes, you belive in your own "saintliness". I have statistics and numbers to back me up, you have so far only your word. Until you show us the benevolent conquerors, there is no reason to believe you.

Just because someone's a ruler doesn't mean they don't have concubines.

Sure, but you have less time to spend with them:xp:

The kind that is protected by the power of Yodas digestive system:xp:

Nah, I think that's enough. Iη retrospect, I think I was a little carried away.

Fair enough :)

Moving to the more light-hearted side things;

Rev7, I was playing doubles tennis against Andre and Steffi earlier and my doubles partner said she was keen to meet you;

mariasharapova.jpg

Come join us on J Prime....

I believe in stereotypes, you belive in your own "saintliness". I have statistics and numbers to back me up, you have so far only your word. Until you show us the benevolent conquerors, there is no reason to believe you.

I see your point, but to be technicαl, I never asked anyone to believe anything.

Sure, but you have less time to spend with them

Maybe, but that's only before I've [hypothetically] succeeded.

The kind that is protected by the power of Yodas digestive system

Okay, you've got me there. In any case (as stated above), I lay the hypothetical issue to rest.

Well, to the person who mentioned the benevolent conquerors.... The Roman's were for their time.

A conquered people were then transformed into full citizens of Rome. Can't see it getting more benevolent than that.

And as for conquering. Resources run out sometime, and when you terraform you lose a little in the process. So, grab more, and expand your influence.

Well, to the person who mentioned the benevolent conquerors.... The Roman's were for their time.

I would seriously press upon you to review history...

A conquered people were then transformed into full citizens of Rome. Can't see it getting more benevolent than that.

After they had massacred all who resisted; how 'benevolent'.

And as for conquering. Resources run out sometime, and when you terraform you lose a little in the process. So, grab more, and expand your influence.

You do realise despite the reputation the Romans gave themselves, they actually pulled humanity back - they undid alot of what the Greeks had learned.

Indeed, lets consider an example of a conquered people; despite the reputation given to the Gauls (by the Romans - history is written by the winners). The evidence actually shows that the Gauls in the their treatment of woman were streets ahead of the Romans; in Gaul woman were accorded equal rights to men, and were protected, not so under Roman law; where woman were second class citizens that is but one such example.

The Romans ruled through military power; which entails fear and quashing those who oppose you in anyway; as such I contend that benevolent and conquering cannot be compatible.

Oh, like I said for their time. Nowadays, they wouldn't be that benevolent, however, when looking at history, when SOP was just slaughter the entire village/country, that is benevolent.

After they had massacred all who resisted; how 'benevolent'[/Quote]

So, if somebody resists my rule I'm supposed to hand them flowers? (Provided I'm not a fully democratic state)

Oh, like I said for their time. Nowadays, they wouldn't be that benevolent, however, when looking at history, when SOP was just slaughter the entire village/country, that is benevolent.

As benevolent is defined now, the Romans never were...

You may also want to consider why you think the standard operational procedure of the time was slaughter... Because the Romans said so... in the case of Gaul (what is modern France, Ireland etc) they were lying...

Propaganda has been something used, long before the word was ever coined; gains support for wars.

You may find a review of this helpful; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaul

So, if somebody resists my rule I'm supposed to hand them flowers? (Provided I'm not a fully democratic state)

I had edited in this in my last post, you obviously posted in your responce before I had done so :)

The Romans ruled through military power; which entails fear and quashing those who oppose you in anyway; as such I contend that benevolent and conquering cannot be compatible.

Why should you have the rule in the first place?

We digress.

The acquisition of knowledge is always a profitable activity, in this case the above discussion is pertinent to the thread in that some have wanted to militarily acquire other planets.

The Romans were proposed as Benevolent conquerors - a incorrect understanding of both the way the sentence was used (I think conquering and benevolent a contradiction) and history, as such I think it pertinent.

If off-topic, I'm sure the mods will clear it up - if you consider it so; report this post with the little yellow button bottom left ;)

Indeed, I think the discussion of ruling techniques is correct given the OP;

If you were to terraform and rule a planet...

I brought this up in the TGA group.

If you were to be able to choose any planet, of any kind, and terraform it to be suitable for life, how would you make it? And once it was able to support life, how would you rule the planet?

What's the big deal? Who cares, anyways? I'd suggest, if you want to keep on discussing this, if you all continue this debate about 'benevolent conquering' or whatever, it be done In Kavar's or PMs... This thread was meant for fun, not a debate... ;)

I haven't really put much thought into what my world would be like (probably just like Earth without natural disasters, it's not like I'd run out of places to go), but I'd just like to remind you of the little mod squad April Fool's joke, where the reader would read a word as their user name.

If I could I'd have posted "All I would want is it to be a place [username] could never get to".

Dammit mod squad, couldn't you have left that active for times like these? o_Q

I would create a massive economic superpower with (relatively) free capitalistic ideals.

In persuit of this goal I would press for Rather Good education. I.e. kids spend much less time in school - say, only the mornings - but are expected to know (and are given opportunities to show their knowledge) both what they've been taught and how it is applied in different situations. Also science would be emphasized, but not to the exclusion of other forms of knowledge. Perhaps I would also implement "mini-jobs" (with actual usefulness) which would be a part of schooling. Also they'd be required to learn PHILOSOPHY, gorram it. Ordinary Language PHILOSOPHY.

And then the super-kids would be outrageously smart and would run all over everyone else's plans for domination and my planet would rule the galaxy by economic and technological superiority! Yay! After that I would recline in my amazingly comfy chair and read crappy sci-fi novels and eat grapes. :D

R7: You said you are not going to admit being a horny teenager, then you talked about being given a godess class hottie in the next sentence:D As for there being hope for you, it's just a little jibe at your (possibly undeserved) "propperness":xp:

Since when did I say anthing along those lines? I am a teenager, but I am not horny. ;) You are a funny guy mur'ph. :lol:

Rev7, I was playing doubles tennis against Andre and Steffi earlier and my doubles partner said she was keen to meet you;

mariasharapova.jpg

I'm not much of a tennis player. :xp:

This reminds me... I'd also make the the Colbert Report, Daily Show, Mind of Mencia, and the rest of Comedy Central would be required to be watched in my benevolent dictatorship... After all... On my planets, I'm a dictator... who is benevolent. Whosoever says that being forced to watch Comedy Central is torture will be accused of treason and put to death... :p (jk)

Archived