Home

Your favourite FPS?

SW01

There are tons of enemies in WWII that gamers have never faced (for FPS games, at least). How about a campaign as Nazi Germany and fight Poland or something? How about fighting from the Japanese perspective? Maybe we can be Finland in the Winter War, with a follow up with Operation Barbarrosa? The Axis side of WWII has HARDLY been touched, and I can think of great ways to get an awesome storyline out of it. All you people who say that WWII games have been done too many times are very, very wrong. What's wrong is that the people who make them do the SAME things everytime, not the conflict itself. There are thousands of epic battles that have gone unsung in WWII games. It's FAR from dead.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who wants to play as the Axis? The Nazis and the Japanese and to a lesser extent the Italians, the Vichy French, and the various other Axis states were some of the most cruel and evil Governments in the last 200 years, with the firepower to back up their intent. I can tell you I sure as hell wouldn't enjoy playing as a crusader for Fascism, especially given one rather pressing fact.

The Nazis lost. Endgame cinematic is, what, the protagonist in a POW Camp?

The Great War defined the world and set the stage for World War 2, though. Then again, you'd need to quicksave every time you charged across the field between trenches until you inevitably got slaughtered by machinegun fire.

Very true, Corinthian. But there are plenty of theatres in the First World War that could be used for a game - the Mediteranean campaigns, or the war on the Eastern Front - these campaigns were much more mobile than their western counterpart.

But that doesn't really explain why there's no WWI based strategy games...

It's an obvious exaggeration :\. To put it as literally as possible: There's way too many WWII games out there, and I am quite tired of them.[/Quote]

Good for you.

I'm a bit disappointed IW reverted back to the WWII era again. The game will probably be good, but I still won't buy it. I'm tired of Stormtroopers and Panzers and those wretched Garand's with their obnoxious *CLING*s for christ sake. [/Quote]

Firstly, they didn't have Stormtroopers in WWII, only the SS, and they are *not* Stormtroopers.

And as for the noise made by a Garand upon cartridge ejection, you find historical accuracy 'obnoxious'?

Who wants to play as the Axis? [/Quote]

Sometimes I find playing as the Soviets almost as bad, considering their crimes in the war.

Who wants to play as the Axis?

Probably the same people who like to play evil/dark side characters in games in general, and sith/dark jedi in Star Wars games in particular. Judging by the amount of Darths around I'd say that's a fair number.

Sure, one is purely fiction while the other has a historial basis, but they're both just games intended for entertainment. I doubt most people play WWII games for educational purposes and care much for absolute historical accuracy. At least I have yet to see any WWII game that's an actual reflection of what really happened. :)

Probably the same people who like to play evil/dark side characters in games in general, and sith/dark jedi in Star Wars games in particular. Judging by the amount of Darths around I'd say that's a fair number.

I always play Dark Side in Star Wars games, and the Romulans in Star Trek, but I would never play the Nazis in a Second World War game. To me, there is a profound difference between evil in fiction and evil in fact.

call of duty 1 and 2 because world war two is my favorite war to study then call of duty 4 because it's modern

Doom 64

Goldeneye 64

also on the eastern front i play as Axis because soviets were bad in the war also. Plus on the eastern camping in COD i dont think you're the Waffen SS.

Firstly, they didn't have Stormtroopers in WWII, only the SS, and they are *not* Stormtroopers.

My bad :). I'm tired of Nazi soldiers then.

And as for the noise made by a Garand upon cartridge ejection, you find historical accuracy 'obnoxious'?

No, I find the noise made by a Garand upon cartridge ejection obnoxious. It is rather noisy, don't you agree?

The Nazis lost. Endgame cinematic is, what, the protagonist in a POW Camp?

No matter what nation or faction you play as, you know the outcome. I don't want to play as a Pole when I know right from the tutorial mission we're going to get steamrolled by Hitler. I can't remain interested in WWII games when I know if I play as the allies, we win, and if I play as the axis, we lose. And, I have yet to hear of any superb WWII era games that stray from this outcome.

It's a matter of opinion. Story and creativity are very important to me, and I'm not seeing very much innovation in those categories. Don't take it personally -_-. The fact that COD4 finally broke away from WWII for a modern, standalone conflict is just one of the reasons I like it. I didn't mean to start a big WWII forums battle for great justice.

No, I find the noise made by a Garand upon cartridge ejection obnoxious. It is rather noisy, don't you agree?[/Quote]

I quite like it.

No matter what nation or faction you play as, you know the outcome.

But that's still pretty much the case with whatever faction/nation you play as in any game - as the player's side is almost pre-destined to win.

No, I find the noise made by a Garand upon cartridge ejection obnoxious. It is rather noisy, don't you agree?

I quite like it.

i agree with astor i like that sound too sept when im like surrounded by germans then THEY hear it and there is no cover then its a bad thing but i still like it nontheless

What? Nobody has mentioned Soldier of Fortune I & II?? Shame on you all! Shame!!!

Otherwise, the Half-Life series, the Duke "Hail to the King, baby!" Nukem and the first FPS that was ever made - Wolfenstein 3D (yet another thing nobody bothered to mention :p ).

Archived