Home

Your favourite FPS?

SW01

Call of Duty (1&2): 3 and 4 bite. But, these are pretty fun. I especially enjoy the first one, but throwing potato grenades in the second is also fun. But, I have a question, am I the only person that will throw away a Thompson in favor of a M1?

I do in CoD 2, the thompson blows in that game.

And I agree with MoHAA up to the sniper mission. After that it just gets absurdly difficult. I like having difficulty in my games. I dont like having to face snipers that require suciding your self to find, so you can reload and attempt to kill them. I especially don't like when there is an entire town filled with these snipers.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hes got a point and mine are Republic Commando

the call of duty franchise and Resident Evil 4 that game was freakin awesome

Only ever played a short demo of Republic Commando, but it was very good. As for CoD, I wasn't too fond of the Second World War versions, but Modern Warfare had to be one of the best.

The Half-Life series and all its various mods will rule the FPS genre as long as Valve survives. If we had to declare a ruler over the FPS, it would have to be Valve.

Things like Halo, Call of duty series, etc are fun and I've played all of them, but don't compare them to the Half-Life series.

Don't the G & R in GRAW stand for Ghost Recon?

Yes however this was after Ubicrap bought out Red Storm Entertainment. Ubicrap then proceeded to made both Tactical Shooter series (Ghost Recon (outdoor) & Rainbow 6 (indoor)) into games for the button mashing ADHD console kiddies. The last game in the series that I bought was Raven Shield. When I couldn't control my teammates in the game I knew it would be my last game purchased from Ubicrap except for good sims like the il-2 series.

Under RSE = great slow paced Tactical Shooters.

Under Ubicrap = fast paced FPS with very limited Tactical control.

My favorite games would have to be

Unreal Tournament well anyone before 3 was released anyways, I dunno why nobody said UT

Halo Series

and Gears which I am also surprised was not mentioned

and SWBF cause I play it in First person :)

^^^^

nobody has mentioned Gears of War because its a Third person shooter, not a First Person Shooter. ;)

for me, Crysis tops my list. some people are quick to point out that the game isn't playable on a system that isn't uber-god like, but that's simply not the case. game requirement issues aside, Crysis has some of the best gameplay of any game ever. attacking an enemy-held strongpoint has never had this kind of open world and on-the-fly tactics. you can attack the strongpoint depending entirely on your own situation whether you need a stealthy approach to outflank and outwit the excellent AI or whether you want to just run in guns blazing. then, you can shift between these tactics on the fly thanks to the seamless armor modes on the nanosuit.

my only complaints with this game is that vehicles feel a little weak, and once you get past the human enemies, the game does become quite a bit more linear. despite that, the game is just a blast to play, and the combination of eye candy and ground breaking physics just adds to the experience. the sound design is also extremely well done as the voice acting, sound fx, and the music are all top notch.

if you haven't played this one yet because you're worried about high system requirements, don't worry too much. the game still looks amazing on medium settings, and it still matches most games graphically on low settings. its quite a bit cheaper now, too, so that's just a bonus. :)

Doom II...

Yeah I know you kiddies think its like old or something

Pathways Into Darkness

Mixing shooter, survival horror adventure and roleplaying game elements. It was a fun game with a rather peculiar "dialog" system that much of the story telling was delivered through.

Slightly more recent notable ones, that are also hybrids mixing FPS with other genres, are Deus Ex and System Shock 2.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this one - Time Crisis! The arcade classic with the oversized blue and pink plastic guns and reload pedal! Spent hundreds of pounds on that thing and wasted weeks of my life...

...still didn't beat the high score!:xp:

Ughh.... I hate time crisis with a passion. The game, to me, is lacking in every department.

Graphics: As of TC4 -Outdated and too arcade-ish.

Gameplay: Wow... I take this plasticy pistol thingymajigger and point it at a screen and press a trigger... wow... It's like it belongs in an arcade, oh, wait a second.

Story: Is there even one?

Maybe I haven't played it enough, who knows, but I really dislike that game.

Ughh.... I hate time crisis with a passion. The game, to me, is lacking in every department.

Graphics: As of TC4 -Outdated and too arcade-ish.

Gameplay: Wow... I take this plasticy pistol thingymajigger and point it at a screen and press a trigger... wow... It's like it belongs in an arcade, oh, wait a second.

Story: Is there even one?

Maybe I haven't played it enough, who knows, but I really dislike that game.

Don't get me wrong, the console versions were utterly awful! I liked the arcade original. I played it once on the PS1 then never again...:(

Archived