Home

Your favourite FPS?

SW01

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i did mean franchise but series sounds better. even wikipedia says ghost recon series.

i have played ghost recon, ghost recon island thunder, ghost recon 2, ghost recon 2 summit strike, ghost recon advanced warfighter (xbox version), ghost recon advanced warfighter 2 (xbox 360 version). I enjoyed each ghost recon game that i've played. all the ones i have played were on xbox and xbox 360.

The Xbox & (360) ones were the best. GRAW on Playstation 2 was mediocre at best, and the graphics were less than par on the PS2 also.

Though, 'tis a good point, the whole Ghost Recon series and GRAW (haven't played GRAW 2 yet) were extremely good.

Alright, I take it back, Freespace isn't really an FPS. Still, I've got a hefty list.

Half Life 2: Really, it's the benchline for any pure FPS these days for both storyline and gameplay. Hell, HL2's storyline easily surpasses most RPGs.

Portal: I'm almost hesitant to put it here, but the game was awesome enough that I can't resist. The only game on my list that I feel is actually a better game than Half Life 2.

Star Wars: Republic Commando: Not even close to the above two, but still the best Star Wars shooter I've ever played. Sorry, I don't count the Jedi Knight games as being shooters, only Dark Forces - you really never used your blaster in Jedi Knight after you got your Lightsaber.

Of course, that would make it, what, the second Star Wars shooter in existence?

Alright, I take it back, Freespace isn't really an FPS. Still, I've got a hefty list.

Half Life 2: Really, it's the benchline for any pure FPS these days for both storyline and gameplay. Hell, HL2's storyline easily surpasses most RPGs.

Portal: I'm almost hesitant to put it here, but the game was awesome enough that I can't resist. The only game on my list that I feel is actually a better game than Half Life 2.

Star Wars: Republic Commando: Not even close to the above two, but still the best Star Wars shooter I've ever played. Sorry, I don't count the Jedi Knight games as being shooters, only Dark Forces - you really never used your blaster in Jedi Knight after you got your Lightsaber.

Of course, that would make it, what, the second Star Wars shooter in existence?

Damn man, you just about got all my favorite shooters in that list (If you count Portal as a shooter. :xp:).

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces

Such a cool storyline, and such cool charecters.

Battlefield Bad Company

Most Amazing multiplayer experience ever. Nothing like levelling buildings just to get across the street

Rainbow Six:Vegas

I really don't know why people hate the new rainbow six's, the old ones where all "OMG PLAN FOO!" the new ones are just plain fun.

Halo 1

The only good halo.

And why do people like the old Ghost Recons? The GRAW seris is SO much better, but Ghost Recon itself, I don't like, there to limited in your ability to do anything other than shoot.

Am I the only one who DOSEN'T like Red Storm? Like, I'd Love to be able to take cover behind walls and do half the things you can do in the single player GRAW, in multiplayer, but no. Redstorm loves keeping everything limited and boring.

Like, I.E, Rainbow Six Vegas's multiplayer was made by Ubi and it OWNS Graw in everyway, except maybe heli-hunt, that was kinda fun.

I really don't know why people hate the new rainbow six's, the old ones where all "OMG PLAN FOO!" the new ones are just plain fun.

And why do people like the old Ghost Recons? The GRAW seris is SO much better, but Ghost Recon itself, I don't like, there to limited in your ability to do anything other than shoot.

Am I the only one who DOSEN'T like Red Storm? Like, I'd Love to be able to take cover behind walls and do half the things you can do in the single player GRAW, in multiplayer, but no. Redstorm loves keeping everything limited and boring.

Like, I.E, Rainbow Six Vegas's multiplayer was made by Ubi and it OWNS Graw in everyway, except maybe heli-hunt, that was kinda fun.

No, I am sure that there are plenty Button Mashing ADD Generation of Console Kiddies like yourself that don't like the original RSE. Heaven forbid you use your head for something other than a hat rack. It is the ADHD Button mashing console kiddies that are ruining PC games. Consolfication has already killed three good gaming developers/publishers.

You better pray that the FBI's HRT or a similar organization never takes your attitude of "OMG PLAN FOO!" should you need rescued.

Oh, great, now we've gotten into "Your group is ruining PC gaming!" "No, the decline of PC video games is all your fault." "First Person shooter tribes raided my Adventure gaming camp" Now you've ignited one of the Cardinal Sleeping Hellfires that lurk under the Internet (Well Done). Give it a week and all of Tristram, sorry, Lucasforums will be burning down and it'll only be a matter of time before Diablo frees Mephisto and Baal.

I really don't know why people hate the new rainbow six's, the old ones where all "OMG PLAN FOO!" the new ones are just plain fun.[/Quote]

The newer Rainbow Six games dumbed down and removed what had been a staple of the Rainbow Six series - tactical planning.

It wasn't just a shooter, it was simulation of CTU and Special Forces operations, much in same way that the original Ghost Recon was.

I find still find Rogue Spear to the most engaging of the Rainbow Six games - it has a good story, and the tactical options were great.

~Bioshock probably tops my list. It's a masterpiece, even though the wrench > all guns.

~The entire Half Life series. I hadn't played any of them up until around February of this year. I finally got interested in the series and bought the HL1 anthology on eBay and the Orange Box for 360. I was intent on playing the games in order so I had to refrain from launching HL2 while I was waiting for the anthology to get here. That was maddening. All I had to distract me was Portal. But once I did play Half Life, I was amazed. I never thought I would have had so much fun with a decade-old game.

~The aforementioned Portal. It's in first person and you have a gun. Furthermore, it kills most FPS's in terms of all other elements. GLaDOS ftw.

~F.E.A.R. It was my first 360 game. I had wanted it ever since it came out and never thought I'd get it because my PC couldn't handle it. It's also the first horror game I ever played fully through, I think. It really opened up the horror genre for me. I loved that it didn't focus on the shock horror that games like Doom do. I love pretty much everything about the game. I also got the "expansions", though those are much less appealing to me. The engine has not aged well. Looking forward to Project Origin.

~Call of Duty 4. I am so ****ing sick of WWII. After all the wars humanity has gone through, WWII is apparently the only one that the video game industry can find interest in. Modern Warfare was a perfect refreshing break from that 20x-overkilled time era. Even though it's a very linear game, the differing environments, extremely intense, alternating action, amazing sound, etc. make the game an easy addition to my favs.

~The Halo series. I hate Halo's multiplayer both for the immature "things" that tend to flock to it and because of its arcade-shooter style. I play the Halo games for the single player, and that's it. That said, Halo is my favorite game of the series, of course. It's really obvious that Bungie forwent focusing on the singleplayer once they realized they could capitalize on a bunch of crazy children who's parents don't regulate what they watch and play at all, at least to me. Regardless, I love the Halo universe, and I have the books.

That's all I can think of right now.

~Call of Duty 4. I am so ****ing sick of WWII. After all the wars humanity has gone through, WWII is apparently the only one that the video game industry can find interest in. Modern Warfare was a perfect refreshing break from that 20x-overkilled time era. Even though it's a very linear game, the differing environments, extremely intense, alternating action, amazing sound, etc. make the game an easy addition to my favs.

:nod:

...and the SAS! Really, I found it refreshing to play as something that I recognise, rather than just a generic American super-soldier! Also, how many other games let you go through an atomic blast?

~Call of Duty 4. I am so ****ing sick of WWII. After all the wars humanity has gone through, WWII is apparently the only one that the video game industry can find interest in.

Maybe it's because the Second World War is perhaps the most single most defining event of the 20th century?

I'd rather be slogging my way through the fields of Normandy than shooting some arab in the middle-east, in a possible attempt to make recent wars look good.

It's an obvious exaggeration :\. To put it as literally as possible: There's way too many WWII games out there, and I am quite tired of them. You can only make a game so good when you know the ultimate outcome of the entire conflict, let alone practically every major battle. You can't add any interesting weapons that haven't already been seen dozens of times. You can't add "new enemies". The only things WWII games can do is improve on gameplay and presentation, and that's not enough for me to continue caring about the era. I need innovation in other categories such as story.

I'm a bit disappointed IW reverted back to the WWII era again. The game will probably be good, but I still won't buy it. I'm tired of Stormtroopers and Panzers and those wretched Garand's with their obnoxious *CLING*s for christ sake.

Archived