Home

Your favourite FPS?

SW01

There have been hundreds of 'em, across just about every console, covering everything from Star Wars to real-world armed forces, but what is your all time favourite, and why?

For me, it's a toss-up between Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. Why?

-modern era setting;

-adaptive AI

-CoD4 - SAS!

-R6 - masses to unlock.

Over to you!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Descent. Although it's over ten years old, this game is still boss. Basically, you were a space ship, and you went inside mines within asteroids trying to destroy rogue mining droids (Hm...this sounds familiar, doesn't it? Peragus II anyone?) and detonate the mine's nuclear reactor and evacuate the mine before the reactor overloads. This game was also one of the first games to allow a full six degrees of freedom when moving around, and it was one of the first games to have fully 3D rendered levels and enemies, which was something that Doom didn't have. You also had the best looking sci-fi fighter craft: the Pyro GX.

pyrogx.jpg

Try to beat that Master Chief! :xp:

I'm not certain that Deus Ex can be counted as a shooter. It's kind of in it's own cateory; the Deus Ex category.

I'd like to throw some lesser knowns into the ring for consideration.

Darkwatch. GREAT fps that was overlooked by many. Sure the story is a little wonky but who cares when the gameplay can melt your face? If you love shooters as much as I do, treat yourself to this game.

Undying. The scariest game I've ever played. Great weapons, geat characters, great story. The only bad thing is the last three minutes, actually.

Half Life! Half Life! Half Life!

Sorry, but I do love those games. And we still have HL2 : EP3 to come!

QFE.

I'd have to say Half-Life wins the tie between Halo and Call of Duty. There's just so many awesome mods.

Garry's Mod FTW!

(I'm glad no-ones mentioned DOOM)

I am really surprised that no-one has mentioned Doom! I have never played it myself, but I was under the impression that it was quite popular.

What about Killzone? Parts of that were WILD shootouts, balanced with a fair amount of sneaking and sniping. I played that, and I played Halo - Killzone was far superior!

Why has no-one mentioned Medal of Honour?

Well... I'm also kinda limited in my choices....

Half-life (Series): This game has everything! Story, decent graphics (For it's day, and areas where you just have to move through and kill everything. One of the few games that makes me afraid to have my feet below the desk whilst playing. (Who here hates headcrabs?)

MoHAA: I mean, you get to fight on Omaha Beech in the first wave of D-Day! That's awesome. For that reason (and others) this game is on the list...

Doom: Eh.... I don't play it that often. And, it's not that good... But, I figure that it deserves a place on this list just for being Doom.

Call of Duty (1&2): 3 and 4 bite. But, these are pretty fun. I especially enjoy the first one, but throwing potato grenades in the second is also fun. But, I have a question, am I the only person that will throw away a Thompson in favor of a M1?

Doom: Eh.... I don't play it that often. And, it's not that good... But, I figure that it deserves a place on this list just for being Doom.

There you go, Rabish Bini!:lol:

I agree with you on the Thompson/M1 issue - I hide and take well-aimed shots rather than charge in all guns blazing, so the M1 works better.

On MoH, I liked Frontline, if only for the Normandy landing - near impossible to beat on highest difficulty! (I like challenges.:xp:)

Anyone like ST Voyager: Elite Force?

But, I have a question, am I the only person that will throw away a Thompson in favor of a M1?

Absolutely bloody not, ForeverNight. Though the Thompson is excellent, the M1 does take the cake with accuracy and the fact you can fire off that 8 round clip pretty damn fast. It's always good to have a Thompson as your secondary though. :D

Archived