Home

Flooding in the Midwest -- Picture this...

Inyri

I live in Illinois, close-ish to the borders of both Wisconsin and Indiana. We apparently got more of Ike than parts of Texas (keep your hurricanes to yourself, Sithy!). I'm sure some of you heard about the massive flooding in some parts of this area -- well my area got really lucky. I didn't quite realize how lucky we got until my father showed me some pictures he took today while he was out working.

quarry1.jpg

quarry2.jpg

quarry3.jpg

That's not a lake, it's a quarry. According to DuPage County, which owns the quarry, it is approximately 8,300 acre-feet in volume. Naturally I had no idea what an acre-foot was, so I looked it up. It is, quite unsurprisingly, the amount of water that would fill an acre of land up to one foot. That works out to approximately 325,851 gallons. Multiply that by 8,300 acre-feet and that means my local quarry is currently storing 2,704,563,300 gallons of water that would otherwise be in my backyard.

Yeowza! Man... I would've drowned. ;.;

In conclusion, that's a lot of water. Yay for quarries! <3

This happened to us up here in Wisconsin in June. Even worse then that. Picture a river (this). Now, picture that river about twice as big. It was almost as bad as the flooding in 2004. Maybe more. Jefferson and Fort Atkinson were closed (as in no one could get through) for most of the summer, and their sewage was being backed up, so, it was entering the river as well. So, a flooded river caused massive damage. There is this small little area of land in a [small] lake (not an island. Think a peninsula, with an isthmus attached) that wrecked a nearby park (Water Damage + Sewage Cleanup + Replacing all the crap wrecked = less $$$).

We apparently got more of Ike than parts of Texas
Yea, some parts of Texas were not affect at all by Ike, but if you lived in Jefferson, Chambers, Galveston, Brazoria or Harris County Ike was more than we bargained for. Do not forget Texas is a little on the large size. I just got electricity back last night, but according to officials, some should not expect to have power restored until October.

Here are some good pictures that show the power of a hurricane. Pick 7 is around 7 to 10 miles from my apartment. (the one at Surfside)

My hope is the people in your area of the country recover quickly.

Archived