Home

Revolution and Upheaval in the Western World

Astor

Seeing as International opinions aren't welcome in another thread, what are people's thoughts about the chances of such a thing taking place in the Western World today?

Could such a thing succeed, or would the UN/NATO/Another power intercede?

All opinions, regardless of nationality, are most welcome. ;)

Seeing as International opinions aren't welcome in another thread, what are people's thoughts about the chances of such a thing taking place in the Western World today?

Could such a thing succeed, or would the UN/NATO/Another power intercede?

All opinions, regardless of nationality, are most welcome. ;)

I would be of the general opinion that a Revolution in any of the Western countries of the world highly unlikely at the present time. I think the global situation would have to fall drastically for there to be a revolutionary spirit. Generally wide spread civil disturbance is a precursor to things moving towards a Revolution. But while there have isolated such incidents, it is at this time, I think (touch wood) not close.

I don't think there will be any major revolution. The world will probably have it's ups and downs as usual, and extremely slowly make progress. let's just say that I think that Star Trek type stuff like Warp Drives, World Peace, and such won't happen in 2200, but rather something like 2600.

In the US, personally, I don't think that something of that nature is possible in the immediate future. Simply put, the economy sucks right now, but it has in the past, and we've recovered from it.

The economic situation aside, there are (and will continue to be) small groups of people that detest the ruling power, no matter their party, race, etc. Despite this, even if there was some form of nation-wide revolution (in any country), the major world powers would likely get involved (assuming that it's a major nation and/or has a valuable resource).

In the US, personally, I don't think that something of that nature is possible in the immediate future. Simply put, the economy sucks right now, but it has in the past, and we've recovered from it.

There is always the possibility that after enough hits, it cannot recover.

I don't really know, to tell you the truth. Things are/are going to change in America...

There is always the possibility that after enough hits, it cannot recover.

The only way an economy will NEVER recover is if it's people stop buying and selling. Heck, even trading is an economy of a sort. But really, even if the economy died, it would start anew. The basics would still be needed, food, water, power, and the extensions of those would gain life once again, transportation, shipping, roads, flight, and the extensions of those would gain life, manufacturing, ect....

You get the idea. Look at Russia, it's economy is slowly trekking back up after the fall of the USSR. It's by no means ideal, but it's a lot better than 12 years ago.

The only way an economy will NEVER recover is if it's people stop buying and selling. Heck, even trading is an economy of a sort. But really, even if the economy died, it would start anew.

Meh, I guess that I mean the Stock Market. So much in this country relies on what the numbers are....and if it collapses then it will take long time to recover....but you are correct, there will always be an economy of some sort...

The basics would still be needed, food, water, power, and the extensions of those would gain life once again, transportation, shipping, roads, flight, and the extensions of those would gain life, manufacturing, ect....

Yes, they will be needed but can they be acquired?

Meh, I guess that I mean the Stock Market. So much in this country relies on what the numbers are....and if it collapses then it will take long time to recover....but you are correct, there will always be an economy of some sort...

Yes, they will be needed but can they be acquired?

Well presumably the people who are growing would still be able to, and people near them would turn to them for help growing/getting food, and you'd have a barter/trade system for a while. As those operations got bigger they'd expand to nearby areas.

The thing is what kind of revolution would there be?

Of course you have the blatant revolucion of taking up arms and fighting for independence---did that already

There is economic revolution---we still like capitalism

and then there is social revolution---haven't seen that happen since the LGBT start over Prop 8.

All I'm asking is if has to be the common impression of revolution or could it be something else that could be revolutionary. Revolution basically means a challenge to traditional ways of thinking. We've seen it in science, politics and other aspects so it comes down to what are we talking about when it comes to revolution.

The closest thing I can think of is an information revolution. Computers and the internet have made radical changes in communication, speed of information transmission, and worldwide connectivity. 20 years ago I had to go to the library to read the same journals I can now access online quite easily in order to get the latest medical information.

I would agree with you more on that Jae and it has become even more revolutionary in terms of globalization. With the deregulation of communications, many so called Third World countries are gaining access to what was previously First World technology. In terms of social and economics, it does widen the "digital divide" between the haves and the have nots. In essence, what is good can be potentially bad especially if it is seen as blatant exploitation of the Third World.

Archived