Home

So... what are you reading right now?

Pavlos

Taking a break from the epically long 1Q84 to read:

icarus-effect.jpg

In preparation for my Human Revolution playthrough.

I'm not a fan of the jargon and adjective-laden actiony writing, but eh it's in the Deus Ex universe, so what the hell. I really would rather not read this book, but isn't a long read and it's just one, so I'm keeping at it.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@Alk: Partly agree' date=' once he introduced resurrections they lost most of their impact. Seems like it's not just game designers who have problems handling resurrections.[/quote']

Well, there is a difference between bringing a character back, and turning them into an undead monstrosity

So far I can only think of one resurrected monstrosity that's still alive, while the number of resurrected without major side effect is quite large (an example spoiler:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Damphairs following
). And with at least three people capable of doing it consistently (and many more occasionally), it's readily available for most of the major characters.

• 7 months later...
Just Started reading The Wheel of Time. I'm only about 30 pages into it but so far it's been great. I feel slightly sad I'm getting into this series when the author is dead.

Don't read the classics, then. But you will be missing out. ;)

I'm also reading some kind of posthumous work myself. I'm on the second chapter and quite satisfied for now:

Show spoiler
girl_with_dragon_tattoo_book_cover.jpeg

• 1 month later...

This little work:

wild%2Bsheep%2Bfirst%2Beng.JPG

Close to the end. While not quite up to par with later Murakami work (or any Murakami work after his initial 3 novels), it's a suitable end to the Trilogy of the Rat.

I quite like the covers Vintage has for Murakami:

Show spoiler
9780099448778.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dive straight in: The Outsider and Others. IIRC, it has practically every important story he ever wrote, including the novellas (towards the end).

I'm not sure if the book is actually available for sale as is, but I used its contents as a guide to read the stories off the Internet (Lovecraft is in the public domain).

Edit: Welp, it seems the book is on Amazon at a bargain price of $1,940. I'd snap it up if I were you.

There's also Wikipedia's bibliography list you can consult if you're looking to read his works chronologically and comprehensively.

Lovecraft's theme and genre never really wavers a lot, so it doesn't matter where you start, the supreme cosmic gods that slumber in dimensions unfathomable will be sure to get you either way.

Dive straight in: The Outsider and Others. IIRC, it has practically every important story he ever wrote, including the novellas (towards the end).

I'm not sure if the book is actually available for sale as is, but I used its contents as a guide to read the stories off the Internet (Lovecraft is in the public domain).

Edit: Welp, it seems the book is on Amazon at a bargain price of $1,940. I'd snap it up if I were you.

There's also Wikipedia's bibliography list you can consult if you're looking to read his works chronologically and comprehensively.

Lovecraft's theme and genre never really wavers a lot, so it doesn't matter where you start, the supreme cosmic gods that slumber in dimensions unfathomable will be sure to get you either way.

Thanks, I was looking at some of his books at the local Chapters, and I've been wanting to get into it for a while, though admittedly, I've also got University, and plenty of other books to read first.

Archived