Home

Chess, Anyone?

Tysyacha

Good job Tysyacha. It's all about becoming very, very familiar with how each of the pieces move, so indeed practise and more practise is key.

You've got somewhere when strategy becomes irrelevant, but this takes a lot of playing.

In the meantime best advice is defence, defence, defence. Always keep every piece defended.

Learn the points value of pieces and protect the more valuable ones heavily, you'll need them in the endgame.

Remember that it is about getting a checkmate, so be prepared to sacrifice all your pieces to get one. You can win with a checkmate being a few pieces down, you still win.

The real trick is forced moves. The endgame is where all your opponent's moves are becoming forced, for example lose a queen or get into checkmate, lose a knight now or lose a queen next move, etc. What you aim to do is hold off on forcing your opponent's moves until you're ready to get a checkmate, then force every move to the checkmate. Basically you wipe the board with him, it's very disconcerting.

And...of course we learn to play well by losing...lots.

In regards to forced moves, I find knights are horrible because they can position themselves to put your king in check and threaten your queen. It's important to look as many moves ahead as you can. Clearly if you are just learning the pieces, that will be more difficult, but try to plan ahead in order to get your pieces in the right place with another one guarding it. Sacrificing a knight for a rook is a good exchange. Don't sacrifice anything for a pawn, but use pawns as bait whenever you can.

Many don't seem to appreciate the value of the Rook, or they often go solely upon using two rooks and neglect the strategic importance of other pieces. I admit that I often favor pieces such as the rook and queen while not using others unless I have to.

Although the rook clearly is the best piece aside from the queen, it is just as important to be able to work with what you have instead of what pieces you favor most. A more experienced chess player likely would know how to counter my strategy and the only way to deal with that is to expand your experience by experimenting more with using pieces you value less. Although a bishop can only threaten half the total number of squares on the board (light or dark) it is better to know how to use it than to just focus solely on your favorite pieces.

Thought I'd have a little fun with this "chess"--and issue a challenge, too!

CENTERBOARD

Sing to the tune of John Fogerty's "Centerfield"--by Tysyacha

Well, beat the drum and hold the phone,

The board's set up today!

I'm born again--64 squares are my field.

Across from me, so patiently, sits a woman or a man--

Any player can understand the way I feel...!

I'LL PUT YOU IN CHECK!

I'm ready to play--today!

Not only in CHECK--

On a roll, I'll control--centerboard!

Oh, I've spent some time being last in line, almost being on the bench--

I took some lumps when my opponents took my King,

So, hey, Litofsky, Sabretooth, and all of you--hey, yo!

Meet me on Skype--its board's a magic thing!

I'LL PUT YOU IN CHECK!

Not only in CHECK--

I've got a King and Queen, two Rooks, two Knights,

Two Bishops, and eight Pawns--

It's time for me to give this game a ride!

Just to take a stand, fulfill a plan--a moment in the sun!

Checkmate, and you can tell that King goodbye!

I'LL PUT YOU IN CHECK!

Not only in CHECK--

NOTE: I can't play chess nearly as well as I write poetry...:rolleyes:

By the way, Yuthura, where does the quote at the bottom of your sig come from?

I guess that it doesn't exactly fit having an ultra-powerful warship spreading phaser fire with a quote such as that right below it.

"You have incredible power, but you mustn't abuse it. If you don not learn control, it is pointless." - Mie Sonozaki cast as Reina Sohov

The quote came from the series Witchblade by a character who was killed by a wild psycho enamored with great power. I thought that character made much sense, because power was a means and not an end. Power without purpose or control really would not yield anything of significance.

What I meant by the last post I made was that you write poetry and you will have the finished product with you for years to come... assuming you don't get a virus in your hard drive. Chess will always give you some fun, but you always end up cleaning up the board and leave no evidence you ever played it.

What I meant by the last post I made was that you write poetry and you will have the finished product with you for years to come... assuming you don't get a virus in your hard drive. Chess will always give you some fun, but you always end up cleaning up the board and leave no evidence you ever played it.

I disagree, Yuthura. Both activities give you something, the value of which is determined by the person.

Same thing goes for those who invested hours upon the computer playing games. At least in Sim City, Sims, or something that has an ever-progressing end product; you at least have something to show for it. I can't imagine the hours I spent with KOTOR that I realize haven't really amounted to anything.

Of course that's not chess, so the product is more like the skill you develop with experience. That and the social benefits you get with playing with another person.

I like chess. My dad was actually one of those chess clubbers in his high school and college days. Thick frame glasses, too--if a bit of a chip on his shoulder and a brawling scrapper too.

Anyway, taught me how to play. And quite well, he did. While I'm no match for the old timers, I can hold my own. I have my own style of play.

Certainly a great game, to be sure.

--Seriously, *try* playing some old fart in his 70's or 80's--even half asleep he'll still checkmate you before your very eyes like "WTF just happened?!" You want a master to play against? Try old people. You'd never know how fun elderly people are. They're more than happy to pwn you.

Yeah it's like you get a proficiency in it, but never really master it for... a really long time. Just think of it like improving a little bit each time you watch him take your bishop, and then you come and try to take his king and he generates some genius expertly-coordinated arial assault to take your king in like one move! It's like there's some fine line between a novice and chessmaster 3000.

Seriously, I can't ever beat the 'standard' setting on that game. Forget trying to beat it on 'master' because you'll never succeed.

• 1 month later...

Aye, it's part of "Skype Extras". When you're talking with someone you want to play Chess with, look for the little "Extras" menu just above the text entry area. If you don't see Chess there, go to "Get Extras" in the menu and look for Chess, install it and start it from the same menu when you want it.

It tends to be buggy, but it's rather hassle-free otherwise.

I really wouldn't think that, but who knows. Besides, I'm sure there must be a good online Chess service somewhere. It can't be that hard. >_>

http://www.freechess.org/

Try FICS. Easy to use and what not, quite enjoyable.

As for my tip of the day: Try not to focus on just the Queen, try using the Rooks in conjunction with the Bishops, and don't throw away pawns to cheaply unless you get something out of it, many a time I have won and been beaten via a single pesky pawn that wouldn't go away :/

Archived