Home

Any good news for gamers?

kipperthefrog

Seriously? This topic may have been relevant a few years ago, but besides some bans in Australia I haven't heard anything like this in the "gaming news" recently at all.

I'd say there are plenty of decent games out. Quite a few, really. Sure, not LucasArts, but that doesn't really mean anything :p

I think the tide of bad news for games has really since washed over. Jack Thompson disappear. Politicians have really been quiet or ignored (Hugo Chavez). And the last bad news I can remember were some controversy from the MW2 airport scene and the Australia censorship of L4D2.

And seriously. No decent games? I just picked up Mass Effect 2 and it's legitimately some of the most fun I've ever had with a videogame. Ever.

Other fantastic recent games:

Arkham Asylum

Borderlands

Dragon Age

Sins of a Solar Empire

L4D2

Then there's loads of games I haven't played that have great reviews:

MW2

Uncharted 2

Resident Evil 5

Assassin's Creed II

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Empire: Total War

Madworld

To name some off the top of my head. And those are all from within the last year.

@ Kipper: I thought we talked about this in the senate several months ago?

I say there's good news as more retro games/retro based games are coming out. Besides thinkgeek has a sweet bunch of retro gaming consoles and merchandise right now.

I think the tide of bad news for games has really since washed over. <snip>

I have to agree with this since, lately, there hasn't really been many noteworthy blips on the radar. At least not ones of any major concern.

Mass Effect 2. Nuff said.

I'm a member of a group on Facebook led by an MP fighting against all the bad press us gamers receive, but it's a UK group so I guess it wouldn't interest you.

Same here (in the states).

Learned about this group, which I joined readily, heh.

http://www.videogamevoters.org/

I've sent several letters to my state's representatives and surprisingly enough I've actually received some responses (though canned reactions I'm sure).

Still, the group is pretty effective and I'd urge anyone here to join up (if you're in the US) Not sure if they have International branches though. They do have Facebook, Twitter, MySpace & YouTube factions however. :)

Same here (in the states).

Learned about this group, which I joined readily, heh.

http://www.videogamevoters.org/

I've sent several letters to my state's representatives and surprisingly enough I've actually received some responses (though canned reactions I'm sure).

Still, the group is pretty effective and I'd urge anyone here to join up (if you're in the US) Not sure if they have International branches though. They do have Facebook, Twitter, MySpace & YouTube factions however. :)

I also joined up on that and also received some (canned) responses. One thing that did interest me was news about Texas Governor Rick Perry, who actually seems to care about Video Games. He's running for a third term for governor, which I don't think anyone has done before in the US. I don't want someone hatin' on video games in office, but I don't want him to be King of Texas either, so I haven't really decided yet...

It seems pretty stupid to bother going after the videogame industry when movies and television have more graphic violence and nudity in them. Afterall, how many legitimate examples are there (really) of people that went bad due to video games (vs those that opportunistically chose to blame the VG industry for their behavior)?

I also joined up on that and also received some (canned) responses. One thing that did interest me was news about Texas Governor Rick Perry, who actually seems to care about Video Games. He's running for a third term for governor, which I don't think anyone has done before in the US. I don't want someone hatin' on video games in office, but I don't want him to be King of Texas either, so I haven't really decided yet...

Just because he's re-running, doesn't make him more of a king or dynastic or anything. Even if he ran for 20 terms, in the end, if the public likes him enough to vote him in that many times, that's your choice. Don't not vote for someone you may feel is a good leader just because he's been there a long time.

Just because he's re-running, doesn't make him more of a king or dynastic or anything. Even if he ran for 20 terms, in the end, if the public likes him enough to vote him in that many times, that's your choice. Don't not vote for someone you may feel is a good leader just because he's been there a long time.

Yeah, I mean, there's other issues too. Like I said, I really haven't decided yet. I just have a general feelin, especially after watching the gubernatorial debates, that it's time for him to pass the baton.

Archived