Home

Hollywood Video done for

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6260944.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B4

All Movie Gallery, Hollywood Video, and Game Crazy in the United States are closing due to bankruptcy. They were put out of business by netflix, Redbox rental kiosks, and compounding debt.

Not surprising. They have been falling like flies around here, and even Blockbuster has been catching up in the bankruptcy business. Wont be long before Blockbuster disappears as well. Still, sort of a shame considering me and my friends still rent movies and games (though, as I understand it, I'm one of the last of that dying breed).

Seeya, Hollywood Video

Our Blockbuster went the way of the dodo last year. I didn’t notice until this past weekend when after dinner we decided to rent a movie and drink at home instead of venturing out on the highway. After spending 30 minutes looking for a video store I decided to just buy one at Target. Come to find out only one place rents movies around here now and they too are on the verge of extinction. Guess it isn’t that big a deal to me since I did not even know Blockbuster was closed.

The Blockbuster in my town (in Australia, duh), is actually doing pretty well. They don't just hire out videos, they also SELL video games (and movies) as well... though an EB Games has opened up in my town recently so now they have a bit of competition.

I'm not surprised by this, it has been coming for awhile. I also believe that Blockbuster will follow as they are not doing well at all. You have Netflix for movies and Gamefly is doing fairly well on game rentals I think. Unfortunately the neighborhood movie store will become a think of the past.

Renting videos was so 1990! :p

Later Hollywood video, hope you and Blockbuster video don't hit your behinds on the door on the way to oblivion...

Sorry but I never liked either of these businesses.

whats a Hollywood Video?

A dying breed of unneeded businesses we used to have a use for, but don't need anymore.

Between Netflix, Xbox Live & living about 2 minutes away from a Redbox.. yeah, I'm not hurting. :D

I'm in RedHawke's camp... I never liked these businesses to begin with. Rewind fees, overpriced late charge fees (even after a couple of minutes), movie theater pricing for anything non-rental related etc.

Too slow to adopt the practices that started with Netflix really bit them in the arse. ;)

Gamefly & Steam are the next big players to keep an eye on.. it would be good for retailers (if they haven't already) to start thinking about more lenient game rentals and pricing/buying options.... just saying.

Meanwhile, film piracy continues unabated.

This is inevitable. In most parts of Asia, there are no such things as DVD rental places - but moreso something like this:

1232009_85927-AM.jpg

As for my neck of the woods,

*consults memory map*

In my area, 3 video stores have completely closed, 2 downsized to less than half their original size. There are still a couple left.

To answer the question with regards to what people have been doing instead, the highest selling related items at local tech stores (as reported by friends who are employees there) are blank DVDs and external Hard drives :thmbup1:

Related to this, these things are also epically popular.

wd_hdtv_mediaplayer.jpg

mtfbwya

This is inevitable. In most parts of Asia, there are no such things as DVD rental places - but moreso something like this:

1232009_85927-AM.jpg

That rack is pretty neat. Over here they just tie up 4-5 bundles of about 50 disks each with rubber bands. When you show interest in the stall, they give you each of the bundles to go through and buy what you like.

Archived