Home

My new Novel(s)

I know I am fairly young, (and I don't mean to brag) but I have been told by my friends and my teachers that I am an exceedingly gifted writer and have a way with words. So I began to start four novels based on short stories I wrote when I was younger, I don't know if they will ever be published (anytime soon that is) but I am posting this to share my ideas with my peers on this sight and get some info from people other than people I know well. Here are my ideas (all but one of the stories are in the same continuation, not the same series, but the same family.

"Gentlemen of Fortune"

(book 1: The Marquis)

Historical Fiction

Jacob Riley had an exceedingly privileged childhood, being the heir of an immense fortune, but that all changed after his family's prosperity took a turn for the worst. Now, on the run from a madman, young Jacob must abandon all hopes of the life that was in store for him and run for his dear life. Along the way, he enlists the help of the most unlikely, but colourful of figures: A brave half Spanish half Ottoman fortune hunter, a Sicilian navigator, and a Scottish blacksmith with a mysterious past as they embark on a journey to the New World to seek fame, fortune, and riches. They may brag about how much wealth they acquired, how large their ship was, or how many towns they sacked, but it all leads to one question; will they become the most notorious lot ever to set foot in the Americas? Then, maybe one day, Jacob will achieve his goals of fortune, glory, and ,revenge along with his companions, the gentlemen of fortune.

"The Riley/Hallqvist series"

(book 1: In the Shadow of the Dragon)

Historical Fiction/Fantasy/ Sci-Fi

Most legends, are based on truth, and most truths are based on legends. There are some tales that haven't changed since it's original form, yet a large portion of them are heavily morphed into a tale that only includes a single true aspect. Then, there are the rarest of tales, the stories that come across to most as myth, but every single event occurred. Though these tales

are rarely found, they do exist. This is the tale of a most unlikely pair, a middle aged professor who's glory is over, and his student, an overly optimistic treasure hunter in his search to find the most priceless and grandest of treasures that could either give it's wielder the greatest riches ever, or bring chaos to the world as they knew it. Step back into the year 1719 for the adventure of a lifetime, as a motley team of adventurers journey across two worlds of the same earth, as they uncover a mystery that could lead to the most important discovery of all time.

"Carry on Mr. Riley"

(Book 1: The Prize)

Historical/nautical (inspired by CS Forester and Patrick O'brian's books)

An epic tale of nautical proportions unfolds when sixteen-year-old Midshipman Richard Riley, the son of a famous naval captain, joins His Majesty's Royal Navy in Anno Dominni 1761. From the moment he joins the crew of the Frigate, HMS Defiant Richard becomes known as the most unorthodox, yet boldest of lads in the King's navy. He is told that no harm will come to him as long as he obey orders, and does his duty his duty, but his duty is to follow his heart other than doing what is expected of him. Along the way, he learns that enemies aren't necessarily only the ones you are at war with, but can also be your allies. He is bound to the ship as it sails across two seas to take on one of the most devious captain's ship, and wit. Richard's actions, even how impertinent they are, will decide his fate and if he can survive life in the navy or even meet his father's expectations.

"Haunted Shoals"

(book 1: Sea of the Damned)

Historical/semi-nautical

William Thatch was bread to the sea, and always had a longing as long as he lived. After running away from home at a young age, William becomes

an honest captain but is soon betrayed by the most unlikely of people. After recovering from this tremendous lost, he eventually works his way up to become first mate on a smuggler schooner, The Swift. When his captain retires in a sleepy English port nestled in the heartland of the Caribbean, French ships attack and conquer Port Redding. William is then required to serve the governor of Barbados as a privateer but after learning of his corruption, is forced to turn to piracy along with a person he vowed never to see again as they race to find a lost hoard of weapons and gold. This is the first installment of four in the Haunted Shoals Chronicles based on the glorified life of a buccaneer in the 17th century.

Ok guys, I hope you enjoyed my summaries of my current projects, and I hope you would tell me which story I should focus more on over the summer.

Isn't there already a section of the forum dedicated to this type of topic or perhaps a blog?

Yes.

Also, I realize that all writers have their respective niches. Having said that, your summaries seem to be the same idea stretched over a different template.

Thanks for the tips, the only difference with me is......my writing does not suck! some of my essays and short stories have been published, no books, but other stuff I have written. It is also my special God-given talent as I have been told by people who have read some of my better works. (I'm sorry if I sound all proud and arrogant, I know there are thousands of writers better than me, or I ever will be)

Thanks for the tips, the only difference with me is......my writing does not suck!
yeah it does. sorry bro

It is also my special God-given talent as I have been told by people who have read some of my better works. (I'm sorry if I sound all proud and arrogant, I know there are thousands of writers better than me, or I ever will be)
perhaps you should foster said talent until your writing is actually good. you might be able to skate by on natural ability in elementary school or whatever you're in, but that doesn't quite cut it for most people.

I know I am fairly young, (and I don't mean to brag)

Yeah you do, don't lie, it's disingenuous.

but I have been told by my friends and my teachers that I am an exceedingly gifted writer and have a way with words.

Protip: they were being nice and may have embellished a little (a lot).

and I hope you would tell me which story I should focus more on over the summer.

Focus on hitting puberty and passing high school English.

But the thing is, I know I write good, I have been published!

I understand that adverbs seem to be quite difficult for Americans but: you write well, not good.

If you're serious about pursuing writing, then the most important thing I can think of is that you read all the books that come to your hands. Whether that be Malory's Morte D'Arthur or Joyce's Ulysses. Only by exposing yourself to new ways of writing and thinking can you get a true grasp on what and how you want to write.

But the thing is, I know I write good, I have been published! I don't want to sound to proud, but I really don't want you guys to put me down. Even Captain Jack has feelings, aren't they important?

Not really. School newspapers and the occasional editorial don't count as much.

Can we please go back on topic?

This is the topic.

And Jae, thanks for being supportive.

That was sarcasm, genius.

How can we boil this down for you? You can scarcely think - you're fourteen, so it's to be expected - you have no hope of writing anything worth reading.

But even taking your excerpts, you're at best a banal mediocrity. You're not "good"; at a basic, technical level your writing is only semi-literate, punctuated by spelling errors and syntactic incoherence; your style is non-existent, and your plots are sub-Hollywood pap.

None of this is surprsing - you're fourteen - but don't expect anyone to be impressed because you fumblingly recycle half a dozen films in a bland, synthetic melange. Most fourteen-year-olds can do that. It doesn't make you a writer. And don't expect us to be impressed by it. In fact, don't expect anyone else to be impressed by it. Because they won't be.

If you want to prove us wrong, shut up and start reading and thinking. So that in another fourteen years you may actually have learnt enough to be anywhere close to being a writer. Because you aren't at the moment - right now, you're just another egotistical teenager with delusions of grandeur.

I am not talking about school newspapers, I was published in a magazine and in the local paper.

Which magazine? What was published where? The fiction in the magazine? What did these so-called "articles" consist of? Because I'm seeing a lot of puff for not much success.

But the thing is, I know I write good, I have been published!

Being published means little to nothing, especially if it's just your school literary magazine and the local paper.

I don't want to sound to proud, but I really don't want you guys to put me down.

Then you came to the wrong place. People here won't be as nice to you as your family. If you were looking to have your ego stroked about your ZOMG AWSUM WRITAN SKEELZ, then you're going to be sorely disappointed.

You write well.

No he doesn't, don't lie to him, Pavvy.

We're all brilliant at 14. :)

I wasn't I was too busy trying to be cool to get the chicks.

The way the topic has gone was exactly the reasons I posted there are other places to post this tripe where you would receive way more positive support.

Archived