• Terminator
    • Star Trek
    • Lord of the Rings
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Babylon 5
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • Barbarella
    • Flash Gordon
    • Buck Rogers (more to the point Erin Gray)
    • Predator
    • Dr. Who
    • Mad Max
    • Torchwood
    • The Matrix
    • FlashForward
    • Stargate
    • Jurassic Park

Yeah, the epic battle scenes and awesome cinematography are just so dull.

Hush you, you appear to be dogging every post I make. I name you, my internetz rival.

and the pirates of the caribbean film was good..notice i say film...i refuse to let dead mans chest and at world's end to be classed as PotC

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curse of the Black Pearl was a good movie. The rest of the series...not so much.

The first movie was hard for me to sit through. The second one was impossible, so, naturally, I didn't even bother with the third.

PotC's a freaking live-action cartoon, and not even a good cartoon like classic Looney Tunes. It's more like a crappy Cartoon Network cartoon from the late 90s.

Stupidity overload.

The first movie was hard for me to sit through.

I liked it well enough - but it's not a patch on the 'proper' Pirate films like Captain Blood, The Black Swan, Against All Flags or Treasure Island. And the soundtrack is pretty good, too, or at least good enough background noise for when I'm working on my miniature Pirate fleet.

I keep hoping for a more realistic film about Pirates (not that any of the ones I mentioned were, but they were fun), but it seems there's no interest unless the ship is captained by a 60s glam rock star who fights the undead.

And Blackbeard's in the next one... :hang1:

Curse of the Black Pearl was a good movie. The rest of the series...not so much.

This is exactly how I feel. The first film really was great, but the second installment just could maintain such a high level and thus screwed the series.

and I honestly have no idea why people rag on the other two movies as being unpiratey - it's not even a Matrix-like deal here, this is hardcore piratey adventure.

unpiratey? They are piratey sure enough, but lack quality to back it up.

There were crappy Cartoon Network cartoons in the late 90s? :eyeraise:

QFT. That was one of the best cartoon periods in my opinion.

QFT. That was one of the best cartoon periods in my opinion.

That's because you were 2-5, prime cartoon watching age, so anything you saw back then would be awesome to you. I don't recommend taking a long hard look back at any of it, since you'll just be sad.

I was in a similar age range when the original Transformers cartoons were playing, so they seemed like the height of awesome to me. I plan to never watch them again, because they probably weren't, and I love my rose-tinted nostalgia goggles. Same goes for ThunderCats, though I always preferred Transformers for the simple reason that robots are inherently awesome, but cats are not.

Around about this second, I'm realizing that I just criticized Transformers and cats on a geek forum. That may not have been a good idea.

edit: Never said you're wrong, or that your opinion is invalid, just that it's an opinion that can be easily predicted for just about anybody based solely on their age.

That's because you were 2-5, prime cartoon watching age, so anything you saw back then would be awesome to you. I don't recommend taking a long hard look back at any of it, since you'll just be sad.

my opinion.

Lack quality how? I mean, they're no Prequel trilogy or Matrix Re-whatevers.

Well, I guess they have their strong points like a good cast, great ideas, and story lines, etc... I'll agree that the potential was there, but the execution of the later two films was not. Despite that I still plan on seeing the new one being released this year. There is always room for redemption in my book.

I'm not ranting on them if that's how it's coming across. It isn't a terrible series, but average at best IMO.

Well, I guess they have their strong points like a good cast, great ideas, and story lines, etc... I'll agree that the potential was there, but the execution of the later two films was not. Despite that I still plan on seeing the new one being released this year. There is always room for redemption in my book.

I'm not ranting on them if that's how it's coming across. It isn't a terrible series, but average at best IMO.

No, you didn't come across that way. I just genuinely don't get what people find inferior in the latter two movies. The way I see it, there's nothing in them you can hate without hating the first movie as well...

I haven't seen At World's End, but Dead Man's Chest was filled with plot holes. For example, Norrington's disgrace. At the end of Curse of the Black Pearl, he basically agrees to let Sparrow go, and then all of the sudden he's become Captain Ahab? Wtf, mate? And then there's the stupid, -stupid- cannibal island section, the overemphasis of Jack Sparrow, and so on.

No, you didn't come across that way. I just genuinely don't get what people find inferior in the latter two movies. The way I see it, there's nothing in them you can hate without hating the first movie as well...

From my point of view, with the first movie the entire premise was a novel concept, but the novelty had worn off by the time the second film was released.

Yeah, the kind of guy who gives Sparrow a head start is -not- the kind of guy he's seen to be in Dead Man's Chest.

That said, I don't think the plot of Dead Man's Chest was all that bad. It just wasn't done nearly as well as the first movie.

I think that both the latter two movies could have been told in shorter time than they were. Lot's of extra scenes were added that didn't really keep my interest. Like the scene where Elizabeth and Jack are drunk and dancing on the beach. In a really great film your interest is kept the entire time.

I know some people will see this differently than me so it's fine if you like them. I have movies I like just for the general idea of them, even though they suck in the quality aspect of things.

As I've said above, I liked the first movie.

The second and third ones stink plot wise, but there's some pretty good ship-to-ship action in them.

When they're not fighting Krakens, or supernatural ships with ridiculous bow chasers, that is. :p

Archived