Home

a few WIP heads

In my spare time between Malachor VI, I like to work on some of my other smaller mods, just to keep things fresh. I've been dabbling in custom head-making recently, and I'd like to show you what sort of goodness I've been cooking up recently.

K2 Bastila

Ever since I discovered the 'doable' method of meshing models together, I've been meaning to find some practical use for it. Armored robes weren't my thing, and most of the tests I'd done recently weren't that great either. I decided to put some robes on Bastila to give her a much needed make-over for TSL. And here are those results.

Bastila1

Bastila2

Bastila3

What originally inspired me to do this actually was a new hairstyle for Bastila. There is already a mod that does this, but I wanted to try something different. As it turned out, giving Bastila Tae Plae's haircut was riddled with many obstacles, but I got it to work finally, something I'm quite proud of.

I'm still contemplating how to install this - should I overwrite the old Bastila appearance or should I simply add this as a new one? My plans for using this generally involved Bastila being in the Telos Carth cutscene (for full body and head) or maybe just the head for the holocron on Korriban and in T3's holorecords.

Layne Staley

Back in my beginning modding days, I wanted to make heads that resembled people I admired. I realized very soon that I couldn't do this by reskinning, so I set out to learn to model heads. I tried with numerous people, but I have to say that this is the most successful by far.

For those who don't know, Layne Staley was the frontman for 1990's rock band, Alice in Chains. He's regarded with having one of the best voices in rock. Unfortunately, like many rockstars, he was terribly addicted to drugs, and you could tell he was slowly dying over the years. On April 20th, 2002, (my 12th birthday) he was discovered dead in his home.

This is my attempt to honor his likeness, and with my birthday/his death anniversary coming up, it only seemed right.

Layne1

Layne2

Layne3

Layne4

arghh, curse you :xp: That looks so awesome! I'd been trying to combine Bastila's robe with the master robe and continuously failing for a long time. I'm so jealous that you got it to work. I'd also been trying to put new hair on her, so that I could make her look older (again and again I failed :fist:). Congratulations to you sir, on your success :D

Now, would you consider donating your wonderful work to be used in RoR? :naughty:

The Layne head looks excellent as well

arghh, curse you :xp: That looks so awesome! I'd been trying to combine Bastila's robe with the master robe and continuously failing for a long time. I'm so jealous that you got it to work. I'd also been trying to put new hair on her, so that I could make her look older (again and again I failed :fist:). Congratulations to you sir, on your success :D

Don't feel bad, there were some really annoying issues I had to fix to actually get this to work. Almost considered giving up, actually....

Now, would you consider donating your wonderful work to be used in RoR? :naughty:

Sure, under one condition - you help me with my next head. Check your Deadlystream inbox for details.

Great work VP...both look great...I like the Staley head, very nice...

Also worked long hours on that head too. Thanks guys.

It looks like you even fixed the odd triangles on her face, where the model is incorrectly uvw mapped, and the verts aren't welded. Those spots always made for noticable edges on her cheeks. Good job :thumbsup:

Don't feel bad, there were some really annoying issues I had to fix to actually get this to work. Almost considered giving up, actually....

I pretty much had given up myself. This is about where I'd gotten (I made several more attempts, but nothing turned out any better):

wipbastilamodels.th.jpg

The blue gloves were early work (I hadn't finished the uvw mapping yet). The big problem, is that I always lost the animations after trying to hex edit like Miro42.

Sure, under one condition - you help me with my next head. Check your Deadlystream inbox for details.

I checked the PM. No problem, I can help out with that :D

VP, I would like to request a head of Chad Kroeger, the lead vocalist and guitarist for one of my favorite bands.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Nickelback.

I understand if you may not do it, but it would be nice (because I can't model for crap :xp:).

I don't think I could agree to do that in my right mind, but would you settle for a Kurt Cobain head?

A Kurt Cobain head would be pretty cool actually. If you pretend you don't know who it is, his face fits pretty well as a jedi, especially when he has the beard/heavy stubble. Jedi are better with beards. The disadvantages caused by inability to grow beards are why so few women are the main heroes in Star Wars material.

I have no heads to request. Well, perhaps one, but I think there are only a select few that would enjoy that :devsmoke:

I do have this to say: The Layne Staley head is quite exceptional. You did a remarkable job capturing his likeness, and making an almost completely unique head.

Kudos!

I have no heads to request. Well, perhaps one, but I think there are only a select few that would enjoy that :devsmoke:

Are you asking for head? Or... wait...

A Kurt Cobain head would be pretty cool actually. If you pretend you don't know who it is, his face fits pretty well as a jedi, especially when he has the beard/heavy stubble. Jedi are better with beards. The disadvantages caused by inability to grow beards are why so few women are the main heroes in Star Wars material.

Someone made a Cobain skin before, but I can still make my own version, but not before I finish my Visas unmasked head.

I'm still contemplating how to install this - should I overwrite the old Bastila appearance or should I simply add this as a new one? My plans for using this generally involved Bastila being in the Telos Carth cutscene (for full body and head) or maybe just the head for the holocron on Korriban and in T3's holorecords.

Hmm, maybe both for Telos cutscene and adding her as new head?? :raise: meaning, although I've seen an excellent Bastila new head mod -from Messkell if I recall- this new "hair style-clothing" combo is just too good to have it only for a brief cutscene ... :bow:

keep up the good work :thmbup1:

Visas unmasked! That will be both gross and awesome at the same time.

Yeah!!! definitely!! :emodanc: you HAVE to do it, that'd be a MUST-HAVE :nod: ...

Visas unmasked! That will be both gross and awesome at the same time.

Judging from her appearance in the comic, I'd say not even gross (and this is after Nihilus tore away the flesh that would normally cover her eye sockets, which I'm sure healed eventually).

espece-miraluka-1.jpg

Even though the art style makes the nose unclear (you can see it in game though, and nothing wrong with it), that is some quality facial structure, as long as you can get over the whole 'no eyes' thing.

Judging from her appearance in the comic, I'd say not even gross (and this is after Nihilus tore away the flesh that would normally cover her eye sockets, which I'm sure healed eventually).

Didn't know that, that's some useful information right there.

espece-miraluka-1.jpg

Even though the art style makes the nose unclear (you can see it in game though, and nothing wrong with it), that is some quality facial structure, as long as you can get over the whole 'no eyes' thing.

Most of the facial structure is made actually - it's just hidden behind that veil. I'm in the process of combining it with an actual head (the short haired blonde chick). It was going well until I figured out I messed up the weights. In the process of fixing those now... sigh... Nevermind, I'm starting over. Surprisingly, that will take less time than fixing weights.

Speaking of which, here was one of my really old Visas Unmasked versions.

ATpO2.jpg

so, are you going to model in the eye craters, or are you going to model them more like soft indents?

Oh, that head is an OLD version. Just to test out the head meshing theory of mine. Should have made that a bit clearer.

The new head that I made has the eye craters, but they are not very deep.

Similar to this picture:

Visas_sockets.jpg

I sent you the head through DS, did you not get it? It should have attached the zip file with the PM.

EDIT:

Also, the Kurt Cobain head is underway. It's gonna take a lot of work though, because it looks more like Glenn Danzig than Kurt Cobain right now.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Danzig

287558-139021-glen-danzig_large.jpg

Cobain

kurt-cobain-photo.jpg

so, are you going to model in the eye craters, or are you going to model them more like soft indents?

Either one would work canon-wise I figure, just would depend on whether Nihilus allowed the skin to grow back, or kept on tearing it off. Tearing it off would work because, well, he's a Sith Lord, and one who does strange things for strange reasons at that. Allowing it to grow back would work because he didn't really seem like the 'I do evil stuff without a purpose besides being evil' type of Sith Lord, more one defined by a single purpose (no reason to bother after making a point the first time, as it wouldn't help in destroying all life).

So really there's no reason for VP not to just pick what he finds simpler/better looking.

edit: Sorry, this post is a bit redundant. I had left the window open a few hours ago, and hadn't refreshed for new replies.

Haha, it all makes sense now :xp:

For instance, the power of the beard explains why Kyle Katarn can hold 8 guns, all their ammo, various kinds of explosives, various ID cards and miscellanea, and a lightsaber, without any of it appearing on his person, or affecting his his speed or stamina. His powerful ability in the Force, when combined with the manly majesty of his beard (voted #1 beard of the New Republic over 13 years in a row), gives him limited access to a pocket of hyperspace. This allows him to store a theoretically infinite number of objects without consequences, by seemingly hiding them in his beard. I theorize that Revan must have also had a majestic beard, and the Exile, well, who knows what was up with that lady.

This is but one of many examples of Star Wars canon written off as 'just a plot hole' or 'non-canon gameplay choice', that can actually be explained by the unique relationship beards have with the Force.

So really there's no reason for VP not to just pick what he finds simpler/better looking.

Went with the slightly indented eye sockets. I presume Nihilus only would have done it once (ripped her eye skin off). I would guess with the aid of the force it has healed - well maybe. Currently I imagine that a LS Visas would have that scarred but healed look to here eyes. DS Visas might have wounds that are festering or turning into necrotic tissue or something. Something akin to Darth Sion but only with her eyes. It's really up to what mighty RedRob decides to do.

For instance, the power of the beard explains why Kyle Katarn can hold 8 guns, all their ammo, various kinds of explosives, various ID cards and miscellanea, and a lightsaber, without any of it appearing on his person, or affecting his his speed or stamina. His powerful ability in the Force, when combined with the manly majesty of his beard (voted #1 beard of the New Republic over 13 years in a row), gives him limited access to a pocket of hyperspace. This allows him to store a theoretically infinite number of objects without consequences, by seemingly hiding them in his beard. I theorize that Revan must have also had a majestic beard, and the Exile, well, who knows what was up with that lady.

This is but one of many examples of Star Wars canon written off as 'just a plot hole' or 'non-canon gameplay choice', that can actually be explained by the unique relationship beards have with the Force.

When you put it like that, it must be true. Maybe the exile just had really long hair (not necessarily a beard). This would put her right up there with the likes of Katarn, Samson and Chris Cornell.

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates:

Layne Staley 2.0

As many of you might have noticed, I released the Layne Staley head, but I realized how much the UVMap is messed up on the head. So I went to great lengths to reconstruct his hair and I think the result was way better than the old version. I also was lazy and didn't bother to include sunglasses, so you guys might like this new version better.

gbYPj.jpg

qthrV.jpg

Visas Unmasked

I've had the head model constructed for awhile, just patiently waiting for RedRob to finish up the skins. He did give me a 'preview' skin to see how it all looked and I have to say I'm liking where he's going with it. I'm thinking that making Visas' headdress an equipable item would be a cool addition to this mod.

JqcGr.jpg

9vTp0.jpg

I also said I'd try my hand at a Kurt Cobain head, but my attempts have been... less than successful. Part of the struggle is finding a hairstyle that I can make with existing dangly hair or just have it be solid hair (partly why I chose the slicked back hair for Layne Staley versus say his dreadlocks, or his short/curly hair phase). Any ideas you guys have to offer would be nice.

Visas Unmasked

I've had the head model constructed for awhile, just patiently waiting for RedRob to finish up the skins. He did give me a 'preview' skin to see how it all looked and I have to say I'm liking where he's going with it. I'm thinking that making Visas' headdress an equipable item would be a cool addition to this mod.

I think that you should include that as an equippable item. That way people could have her be hooded if they wanted. :) It does seem like a cool mod idea. Can't wait to see the final skin.

Archived