Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

So, having searched on the web, it seems some flashpoints on Ilum (which I haven't done yet) give daily commendations. Can anyone confirm this, but more importantly, is it worth doing for dailies, knowing these FPs probably take at least an hour to complete?
I didn't realize they gave daily commendations so it must be a recent change (or maybe is that for normal mode and not hard mode? I haven't done normals recently) but if you have a good group they go pretty quick. Still, if you are going for daily gear, doing the regular daily quests on Ilum and Belsavis are much quiicker than doing a flashpoint. I guess it depends how many commendations you get from the flashpoint.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been said before that a Guardian tank is a bit of a challenge because of the trouble of holding aggro, among other things. I'm playing a Guardian tank myself and I'm following a build that has more skill points in Vigilance (a DPS tree) than in Defense (the tank tree). But I think that only shows the complexity and challenge that is a tank Guardian. If you go for a DPS Guardian (which is a safer bet and easier to get into for new players, I think), it might be best to focus on one tree and pick up a few skills from the other trees on the way.

But I think Jeff has a level 50 Guardian, so he might be better equipped to answer your question. :)

It's best to stick with a DPS spec guardian anyway if you're planning to go through the PvE content solo, otherwise as a tank spec it'll take a billion years to kill things... I should know, I ran through the entire game from start to where I am now as a Tank specced Vanguard. Some of the content I did solo but most of it I ran with Jeff, Mav and Kus.

Solo tanking with a healing companion will ensure that you'll never die, but it also means that each fight will be very long and drawn out, especially boss battles.

Also, don't let us tell you what you should spend your skill points on. It's much better to figure out how everything works on your own and if you really need to respec, you can through a vendor on the Fleet station or on Coruscant. Just go with whatever looks right to you and you'll most likely come up with a spec that works for your play style.

Don't really need to worry about specifics until you reach end game and start doing hard mode flashpoints and ops and that kind of stuff if you choose to do that kind of jazz.

Good points.

I started out planning on focusing on the Vigiliance tree, and I guess I'll continue that way. So far I have been fairly easily dispatching whatever I face. Only a few bosses had me loading up on stims beforehand.

Is the bonus to a complete armor set only for epic gear, or does it apply to all gear, high and low? I'd like to complete my Mercenary Foundry armor, because the leggings and boots make me look kind of ridiculous at the moment, but since Foundry boots and leggings are rare, I'm not sure if I should wait to complete the set to apply my high-end mods, unless there's an extra bonus for doing so. Alternately, if anyone can commend bronze-colored leggings and boots (orange items) to go with the Foundry Chestpiece, it'd be close enough.

About the items gained from daily commendations: where do I get mods other than the barrels and armoring that can be bought at the Belsavis and Ilum vendors? Are those the items that drop from the daily heroics?

Lastly, for those who might not know (it is sometimes not included in guides on daily commendations), there's a space mission, Operation Ascendant Pride for Imperials and Operation New Eclipse for Republicans, that gives 2 daily commendations. Pretty important for those that only do the soloable dailies.

Any suggestions?

I'd agree with Lynk and Miltiades, the game seems easier if you stick with one tree for the most part and playing solo as a tank or healer is somewhat insane when you can respec later. I would say it is good practice to get use to your abilities by picking a specialty and sticking with it through the entire game content, but from my experience there is a huge difference between playing a healer solo and playing a healer in a group. My experience playing the game solo has actually hurt my ability to play the same role in a group.

My one advice for playing the game largely solo, would be to watch your companions equipment. That was essential for my finishing the game largely solo as a healer, but it has also been extremely helpful with my solo DPS Imperial Agent. Not to the extreme it was with my healer, where my companion usually had better gear than me, but I really try to keep my companion as close as I can to being on par with my toon.

Remember if you get stuck, yell. My smuggler has already done one Jedi class quest on Voss three times. :xp:

Lastly, for those who might not know (it is sometimes not included in guides on daily commendations), there's a space mission, Operation Ascendant Pride for Imperials and Operation New Eclipse for Republicans, that gives 2 daily commendations. Pretty important for those that only do the soloable dailies.

I knew...Lynk told me to do my daily space mission...Didn't know it was worth 2...Still I hate space missions, but I guess I have to do what I have to do.

I knew...Lynk told me to do my daily space mission...Didn't know it was worth 2...Still I hate space missions, but I guess I have to do what I have to do.
People say the Ascendant Pride mission is difficult, but at this point I have so much money, I just bought some purple items for my spaceship on the GTN and the mission's quite easy now.

I don't really think the missions are hard...I just had the system go down while doing a space mission and I was caught in conversation mode and couldn't get out. Now I'm just paranoid.

I liked space missions way better before I got proton torpedoes, just can't get the hang of it now.

Alright this is open to only those in the Walking Carpets. I have biochem up to 400, so if anyone (again in the guild) needs a implant, stims or adrenals send me a shout when I'm in TOR or PM me here with what you want (what your key Attributes is or what stims or adrenals you want). I’m willing to make up to four implants (2 each) for you and your priority companion…If I like you I may even be willing to make you a few extras (which leaves Lynk and acdcfanbill out). /not being rude to the Meatbags, just my agent isn't to the point where she can do this or afford to do this/

Most of my stuff is standard, but I have some above standard stuff at level 29 and 41.

Next question does anyone actually use adrenals? I never have because 15 seconds isn’t worth my time, but they seem to give some decent stats in those 15 seconds. Am I wrong as usual, are they worth using?

You are correct the overhealing thing is one of my problems. The only heals I should be spamming according to what I have read today is Diagnostic Scan and Slow-Release Medpacs to keep energy up and Upper Hand at the ready.

How's your healer doing these days? I finally hit 50 Saturday and have since run Eternity Vault on normal and hard (didn't take down Soa on hard) and Karraga's Palace on normal, and one hard mode flashpoint.

I've been teasing my guild how I have been 50 for about 24hours (at the time) and already had 1 Rakata, 3 columi and 3 Tioneese pieces :D

What! So why have I been running dailies all this time, then?!

lol

I started my dailies at level 47 (I soloed EVERY quest in game (minus heroics, didn't bother with those)) so by the time I was 50 I had the barrels and armorings ready to go. I had my implants crafted for me, and if I were smarter I would have crafted the lvl 49 purple mods instead of the armorings since those got replaced and my mods are still lower (48 blues).

I've been teasing my guild how I have been 50 for about 24hours (at the time) and already had 1 Rakata, 3 columi and 3 Tioneese pieces :D

I heard Jeff got that lucky the other night. Something like 5 rakata pieces in a run of HM Eternity.

How's your healer doing these days?

Only tried one HMFP since then and failed miserably. Directive 7, overall I felt better about my healer, there still major room for improvement, the final boss proved I still have major problems healing and moving. The smugglers small heals that can be done while moving just are not very affective with the amount of damage being dealt and if I stop long enough to do a big heal, I’m toast. After that night I was ready to quit TOR altogether or at least stick with playing the game strictly solo. Lynk talked me down off the cliff.

Someone got me to believe Directive 7 was easier than The False Emperor when I agreed to go on it, not really sure that was intentional or not. :xp:

I was still way under equipped to face a HMFP IMO. Since then I have gotten my ear piece and I’m working on getting my other two implants before I tackle another HMFP.

I’ve also have since gotten my Crew Skills maxed out, so I also have better med packs to use on myself.

I have found a few other things as far as weapon and armor that I have since upgraded/replaced. I was still using a level 24 color crystal until last night. Not really sure until I try another HMFP if any of this will do any good, but it has sure made doing dailies a lot easier. Now I’m able to do them without any deaths and have gotten to where I have can take the time to heal some 50 newbies having a little trouble with their dailies.

Someone got me to believe Directive 7 was easier than The False Emperor when I agreed to go on it, not really sure that was intentional or not. :xp:

They made D7 a bit harder than when my main first hit 50... Not sure if it was bugged before or bugged now.

One of the good things about operations is there are two healers (if you build a traditional group) so even though there are more players, you have some assistance.

Yeah moving while healing is rough, there is a part of EV where you are running & dropping off platforms, so the whole team is taking damage... I have a key mapped to "target next ally" and I hit that & slow release medpack over & over (I just have to be mindful of my own HP as that wont ever target me) and throw out the instant heal that is granted with upper hand (i forget name) every time it is available.

Question: Is it cheating if I sell something to another toon I control across fraction lines through the Hutt Trade Network? I mean if I sell crafting materials such as Quick-Growth Agent and Red Goo from my Agent to my Smuggler. I know someone else could purchase them before I logout and back on, but I was planning on pricing the stuff so I really wouldn't care if they bought it.

Don't know, but it just sounds like cheating to me or at least MMO equivalent of being unethical.

Question: Is it cheating if I sell something to another toon I control across fraction lines through the Hutt Trade Network?

Don't know, but it just sounds like cheating to me or at least MMO equivalent of being unethical.

What would be unethical about it?

I've never played on the other faction so maybe I am missing something but I mail stuff to my same faction toons all the time, how would it be different?

Taking resourses from one fraction and giving to another fraction is about the only thing that worries me.

Then again, I'm moving credits from one fraction to another, so it kind of balances out.

Personally I don't see any ethics issue, unless BW purposely made it more difficult to get certain things on certain factions.

Alright I’ve gotten so bored with dailies I’ve started using different combinations of companions just to change things up.

As a healer, what I was told is that I’m better off sticking with a tank as my companion… This served me well through the entire game, but I wanted to just try different combinations for two reason 1). Killing the same thing the same way got boring, 2). My two tanks are maxed out in affections for my toon (who wouldn’t be).

First if you are a healer, the best combination to do in dailies is to take Lynk with you. I’m sure any 2nd person would do, but Lynk is the one I run around most with during dailies.

I also have done the healer/healer companion for dailies. This one has worked really well. Just takes awhile longer to finish the dailies, but not much longer that doing them with a tank.

The combination that I have found to be the best, next to having Lynk with me, is DPS and my healer. About the only thing that gives me trouble in dailies anymore are these strong sith and their spamming lightning , one isn’t a problem, but if I get two on my butt at once then I’m usually toast. With the DPS companion that did not present a problem this morning. I ordered her to attack one while I interrupted the other to finish off the regular mob, then I used a flash grenade to heal my DPS companion and then we finished off both. I finished dailies about 45 mins faster than normal with the combination. Only have finished twice faster than today and that was in a group with Mav, Jeff and Lynk and when I have done them all with Lynk. Also happy to report neither my companion nor my healer died in this experiment.

So the moral of this story is don’t listen to everyone else telling you what will work best, experiment and see what works best for your playing style.

So the moral of this story is don’t listen to everyone else telling you what will work best, experiment and see what works best for your playing style.

I'd say this goes for every aspect of life :)

I used akavi, commando based dps. I actually thought she was a tank when I decided to gear her up and when I realized she wasn't, I decided to stick it out. It definitely prepped me for healing as she would over pull and not always keep aggro off me :p

That is one of the things I like about using Risha. I didn't have to really worry about aggro. I usually get it even when using the wookiee, so with the DPS/Healer combo, I want it anyways. I kick, punch, pistol whip then heal. If they decide to go after her, I just chunk out a big heal and that pulls them back to me. Have enough gear now where I can hold my own against Elite or below, still have the problem when there is more than one strong or higher. Although now there is about a 75% chance I will win.

Lynk uses it with his tank. Lets him know who has drawn aggro from him so he can get the mob off that persons butt.

I'm also using it with my DPS Trooper, playing with Lynk's smuggler DPS, it is handy in knowing when to throw one of those freeze things to get the mob off Lynk's butt.

I really like them now that I have gotten use to them. Only wish I could make them even bigger and move around or delete the characters within them. I really don't need a frame for my character. And I would like to put the softer characters at the top.

Archived