Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

A healer is not really a solo play class. Only reason to roll a healer is for group content. Of course much the same could be said for tanks.
Yeah.... I solo leveled a Shadow Tank, unless you accidentally agro two groups at once you're never in danger of being killed, but man does it take ages to kill stuff.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A healer is not really a solo play class. Only reason to roll a healer is for group content. Of course much the same could be said for tanks.

I love how you tell me this at level 48 and 1/2 in the middle of Voss Bonus Missions and others on Skype wait until I was around level 40. I made a thread call "The Old Republic for Dummies" it should be pretty clear to everyone I know nothing about MMOs. :xp: I did healer for the guild, I know it completely goes against my normal playing style, but it was what I was told the guild needed.

Who cares, I'm almost done now and I have had a blast doing it. Parts have been fustrating, but that made them all the more sweet when I completed them. Still annoyed at myself for having to get help at one point on Tatooine, but I do appreciate those that helped. ;)

I finally got a chance to play my SawBones some last night, solo'ed all the way through Coruscant (including side quests) with 2 deaths total, both of which could have been prevented had the rest of it not been such a snooze fest.

Finished & got my ship at level 15.75, 3-5 levels lower than my gunslinger was.

I'm currently using Corso (didn't have a choice) but I'm wondering, when I do have a choice, what would be a better team, healer & tank or healer & dps? I'm guessing healer & tank is pretty much invincible, but healer & dps would be more of a challenge & faster.

Everyone on the Republic side is either way ahead of me (Kus, Jeff, Mav and Lynk) or behind me. I was just the odd man out. Like Lynk said, they came when I needed them. I'm just too stuborn to ask until I'm ready to quit the game. :D

Same here.

Corso and I can raise enough hell on our own for the most part. I have grouped with some pugs for a few heroics 4 missions here and there, and it's actually pretty fun (the smaller than most MMO party groups I think helps) but I still have the "Social" Tutorial quest in my lineup because I haven't reached social level 1 :xp:

I'm currently using Corso (didn't have a choice) but I'm wondering, when I do have a choice, what would be a better team, healer & tank or healer & dps? I'm guessing healer & tank is pretty much invincible, but healer & dps would be more of a challenge & faster.

I think that all depends on you. I have played at least some with all the companions. The melee tank is my go to companion, but more because I wanted a Wookiee sidekick rather than his tank ability.

I will say there have been a few fights were the Wookiee just hasn't cut it. The Melee DPS makes some fights so much easier. Corso is fine, except he has a habit of turning on that harpoon thing and putting the bad guy right in your lap. I turn it off, but he turns it right back on. I've also used the Ranged DPS and even the Healer some, but not against anything major and only when I was a level or two above the area. Both offer some fun alternatives to the normal fights.

I say go with whatever makes the game more fun to you, but don't be, like me, stubborn about it. If a fight with a boss doesn't go well with the melee dps, try it again with the tank dps... Also keep an eye on the companion gear as a healer, if you find way better gear for the Melee DPS than you do for the Melee Tank, then use the Melee DPS if the battle is difficult. The more adaptive you are, the easier and the more fun it is.

At level 49 as of last night, so I know it can be done and is fun. Now watch something happen on the last planet where I have to call Lynk or Mav again. :xp:

I still have the "Social" Tutorial quest in my lineup because I haven't reached social level 1 :xp:

Level 49 and I am barely over social level 1. I didn't even know what to do with that social coin until Lynk showed me while we were playing with alternative characters. :xp:

All three of my alternates have more social points than my original toon and the highest level they are is around 16.

but I still have the "Social" Tutorial quest in my lineup because I haven't reached social level 1 :xp:
Impossible. I did one Heroic +2 quest with two other people on Tython and already reached Social I. Impossible, that is unless your group never stays together to turn in the mission, because only then you get the Social Points earned during conversations (which is what has been stated before, but am now doubting myself because I remember leaving the group before turning the mission in but I did earn enough social points to reach I - whatever the case, 10 points is apparently all you need, so it'd be strange that a few Heroics wouldn't yield that much).

Impossible. I did one Heroic +2 quest with two other people on Tython and already reached Social I. Impossible, that is unless your group never stays together to turn in the mission, because only then you get the Social Points earned during conversations (which is what has been stated before, but am now doubting myself because I remember leaving the group before turning the mission in but I did earn enough social points to reach I - whatever the case, 10 points is apparently all you need, so it'd be strange that a few Heroics wouldn't yield that much).

I have 6 marks on my social bar. I believe you need 10 to reach Rank 1. ;)

Heroics only give you social points if you group. I have soloe'd all but (2) Heroic 4's on Taris (which is where I got my 6 marks) :D

I pugged a Heroic 4 on Coruscant, however for the conversation I didn't take part.. I "holo-called" in (the party leader reached the turn-in point well ahead of me) and apparently that doesn't give you an option to take part of the conversation to achieve social points, just the reward and whatnot. At least in my case it did :giveup:

Social 1 should be about 75 pts from memory. You aren't going to ding that from any single heroic. You only get 2 pts per party member for lines you win the roll for, and 1 pt per line you don't. Even with a 4 man party, for most quests you'd be likely to only average 20-25 pts or so (unless you use black magic to influence the dice roll, like Lynk).

Social 1 should be about 75 pts from memory. You aren't going to ding that from any single heroic. You only get 2 pts per party member for lines you win the roll for, and 1 pt per line you don't. Even with a 4 man party, for most quests you'd be likely to only average 20-25 pts or so (unless you use black magic to influence the dice roll, like Lynk).
No, that's 750 for Social II. Social I needs 10 points.

@Chainz: I guess it depends on how many members there are in a group: 2 people get between 2-4 points, 3 people between 3-6 and 4 between 4-8. Also, I don't know exactly if you get social points if you holocall, but I do know that the codex says that you do not get dialog choices when holocalling if the mission requires you to do a physical action (like handing over an object, etc.).

I'm 99.99999999999% sure Social Level 1 is 10 points. I don't have anywhere near 75 points and I am level 1. I'm just not very sociable.

Those around here that know me can vouch for me, I'm kind of a jerk. ;)

Yeah.. my 6 marks are on a bar that show a total of 10 (with a number) so I'm pretty sure Social Rank 1 is 10 marks (low since the 1st rank is under the Tutorial Quest section). Will still wind up taking me forever as I'm anti-social even in a social MMO :lol:

No, that's 750 for Social II. Social I needs 10 points.

@Chainz: I guess it depends on how many members there are in a group: 2 people get between 2-4 points, 3 people between 3-6 and 4 between 4-8. Also, I don't know exactly if you get social points if you holocall, but I do know that the codex says that you do not get dialog choices when holocalling if the mission requires you to do a physical action (like handing over an object, etc.).

Pretty sure you're right. :)

When I grouped, it was just me and another player with our 2 comps. I won the roll on both turn-ins. Not sure of the values of the rewards though I do know that I've won 2 rolls, and have 6 marks. Haven't pugged/grouped/conversation-ed any other time (other than holo-call) but I know for sure I didn't get my first social mark till Taris because I kept thinking to myself that I'm going to be the only player to reach 50 that still has a Tutorial quest in my lineup :disaprove:lol:

I kept thinking to myself that I'm going to be the only player to reach 50 that still has a Tutorial quest in my lineup :disaprove:lol:

I had it in mine until the 20s too. I just untracked it so it wasn't staring me in the face. I didn't get rid of it until I was almost done with Taris and Lynk called me for some group stuff (world bosses) and we did a flash point too.

Out of sight out of mind. :)

A question about world bosses: seeing as these need a lot of players to take down, how is the loot, experience, codex entry and such divided? In normal situations, when someone attacks an enemy, other players cannot get experience or loot from these enemies unless you're in a group with this player. But because groups are restricted to 4 players, this in theory would mean the loot and experience (and the codex entry) for killing a world boss is restricted to a maximum of 4 players, even when a total of, say, 10 players contributed to its defeat. I'm guessing the world bosses work differently and everyone gets their share as long as they've contributed to the fight?

A question about world bosses: seeing as these need a lot of players to take down, how is the loot, experience, codex entry and such divided? In normal situations, when someone attacks an enemy, other players cannot get experience or loot from these enemies unless you're in a group with this player. But because groups are restricted to 4 players, this in theory would mean the loot and experience (and the codex entry) for killing a world boss is restricted to a maximum of 4 players, even when a total of, say, 10 players contributed to its defeat. I'm guessing the world bosses work differently and everyone gets their share as long as they've contributed to the fight?
Regular parties are indeed restricted to 4 player groups, however you can form "Ops Groups" SWTOR's version of Raid groups that can accommodate up to 16 players. You could think of World Bosses as training dummies for boss encounters in Operations, the Hoth and Belsavis World Bosses in particular. Experience wise, you don't really get that much more than a regular elite mob, so xp is pretty much the last thing to think about when tackling a WB. Loot wise, most of the World Bosses drop purple or "Artifact" quality mods and sometimes equipment that is level appropriate for the WB. Again there are some exceptions loot wise, most notably for the Hoth and Belsavis World Bosses that have a chance to drop a Artifice crafting schematic that everyone seems to be after.

I do have a question or two about gameplay mechanics: Is there a crouch function in the game? Can you rapidly go back and forth from stand and crouch?

I believe just Smugglers/Operatives.. and their 'crouch' is the Take Cover function. Opens up several different attack/defense forms

Which leads me to my next question: What kind of shenanigans can a player get up to?

Depends on what you had in mind ;)

Plenty of ways to grief PVE players. Just flag yourself for PVP and wait till some unsuspecting PVE'er (me) throw you a random buff and watch me RAGE as I hightail it to the nearest Cantina to unflag myself :snear:

Learned my lesson quick. NO BUFFS for green characters :xp:

I believe just Smugglers/Operatives.. and their 'crouch' is the Take Cover function. Opens up several different attack/defense forms

That was the class I had in mind for this particular shenanigan.

I'm guessing it isn't a rapid trigger that is easy to toggle on and off.

So ......no "humiliating" other players or NPCs after you kill them?

(if you get what I'm getting at, ho-hum)

:devsmoke:

Depends on what you had in mind ;)

Plenty of ways to grief PVE players. Just flag yourself for PVP and wait till some unsuspecting PVE'er (me) throw you a random buff and watch me RAGE as I hightail it to the nearest Cantina to unflag myself :snear:

Learned my lesson quick. NO BUFFS for green characters :xp:

???

:indif: Guess it must be an mmo thing I'll have to see for myself to find out...

No. Sorta like just closing doors when other players open them to keep them from accessing the room--like in L4D. (actually that was a pretty useful tactic to exploit that gameplay mechanic sometimes). I guess I'll have to see on my own what kind of random jackass stunts I can try to pull off.

There's very little you can do to grief players in PvE, or at least I haven't encountered much.

The only real jackass tactic is to loiter around areas with security chests or missions that require you to collect/destroy 'x' (x, for instance, on Alderaan, being House Ulgo's AA guns). As these nodes are usually guarded by mobs, the best way to be an ass is to wait for someone to start fighting the mob and then running in and harvesting the node while they're busy fighting, which means that the person fighting the mob then has to wait up to a minute for the node to respawn, or go off and try to find another one and fight more mobs.

But from what I've experienced, people doing that don't get many group invites.

Archived