Home

Weapon model overhaul project

Toasty Fresh

Actually, depending on the finish a weapon may shine more after use. If you go to any war museum and look at the guns there, in many areas the finish has been rubbed off after use and shines very clearly.

Also, this is Star Wars. It's not a war fought in horrible muddy dusty places, it's usually fought in urban environments which are very clean and clinical. There aren't a whole lot of opportunities to get a gun filthy.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the criticism everyone! It really helps :)

Any plans to do lightsaber hilts or virboblades/swords as well? I look forward to seeing more progress on this project.

Lightsabers, not at this stage, because there are already a multitude of mods that deal with replacement lightsabers, so my work would basically be a duplicate of those. As for swords, it's a possibility but I'd wager I'll want to get the guns out of the way and released before I start on melee stuff. They might be two completely seperate downloads.

Dang, you are getting these done fast! It looks good, although the rifles seem a bit too large, maybe scaling them down a bit would help? Also, some rifles such as Jurgan Kalta's assault rifle and the Mandalorian assault rifle look a little too similar to the light repeating blaster rifle. Perhaps you could include the sidescope that was on the regular blaster rifle.

Other than that though they look amazing and are a vast improvement.

It looks good, although the rifles seem a bit too large, maybe scaling them down a bit would help? Also, some rifles such as Jurgan Kalta's assault rifle and the Mandalorian assault rifle look a little too similar to the light repeating blaster rifle. Perhaps you could include the sidescope that was on the regular blaster rifle.

This may sound like an excuse, however I deliberately left off the scope to highlight the fact that it's an assault rifle and not a marksman rifle. Also it's little visual features like these that I like, to make each weapon feel like it belongs in a class yet each weapon feel different in some way. I appreciate the insight, however.

At the moment I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm trying to do a model for the heavy repeater but the original just looks so weird and the design is just not very good. It's basically a box with a long tube on it, so I may have to adapt some form of my own design.

This may sound like an excuse, however I deliberately left off the scope to highlight the fact that it's an assault rifle and not a marksman rifle. Also it's little visual features like these that I like, to make each weapon feel like it belongs in a class yet each weapon feel different in some way. I appreciate the insight, however.

At the moment I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm trying to do a model for the heavy repeater but the original just looks so weird and the design is just not very good. It's basically a box with a long tube on it, so I may have to adapt some form of my own design.

That's actually quite a good reason to not have the scope on it. As to your having to make your own heavy repeater design, I wish you luck in your attempt.

I have to say; these new gun models are a definite permanent addition to my Override folder. These are some top quality models! Not only that, the textures are also fantastic! I've had a look through the .tga textue files and i'm in awe!

You should really post some tips on how you do your texturing. ;)

Thanks for the compliment but they're nothing compared to real next-gen stuff. If KoTOR supported current-gen specular and normal maps they'd be much more impressive, the lack of it holds my texturing back as I'm not used to having to paint the lighting onto my models. I suppose I could post some basic tips at some stage when I have some time though.

By the way, a question for anyone who knows. Is there a way to easily port these models to TSL without having to go through and recompile each model? I'd like to have the mod available for both games so I can do another playthrough of TSL but I don't think I have the patience to put every single one through MDLOps and rename them all.

By the way, a question for anyone who knows. Is there a way to easily port these models to TSL without having to go through and recompile each model? I'd like to have the mod available for both games so I can do another playthrough of TSL but I don't think I have the patience to put every single one through MDLOps and rename them all.

Yeah running them through MDLOps will work, but usually they just work anyway if your .uti's don't contain anything that's unique to one of the games. For example a property that's in TSL that isn't in k1.

Archived