Home

Double Fine Adventure!

Valkian

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Am I the only one having mental orgasms? It has already made double of what they asked for ONE MILLION DOLLARS TWO MILLION DOLLARS THREE MILLION DOLLARS (they have the Kickstarter record for most funds in 24hs and the largest number of backers! and now hold the record for the largest amount of funds ever, beating the first ones to make a million). This is big, really big.

So many questions!

Is this the start of a revolution?

Will this change how independent games are made?

Will this encourage big studios to invest in smaller riskier games?

Will this shake the Hollywood business model in the video game industry?

Is this the beginning of the singularity?

Or does this simply mean we are getting a cool new game?

In the media for grown ups:

CNN: When making a game is a game in itself

USA Today: Video game makers use crowd-sourced funding for new project

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would this project had so much support if Tim Schafer wasn't there?

Of course not, the big names attached to it make a difference, and not just Tim and Ron but Double Fine itself, which has a good fan base that doesn't come from adventure games.

Yet, I think this is just the second video game I see on Kickstarter, I'm pretty sure there must have been others, but if anything, I'm sure this means we'll be seeing a lot more from now on. It's going to be a very interesting phenomenon to observe.

Schafer's earnt his admiration by being good to his fans and making excellent games, and this is the result. :) It probably leaves a sour taste in other indie developers' mouths to see this kind of support while they struggle to get $50 of support, but once they get that first game out after putting their own money/time on the line — even if it's not a very big one — then other people will be willing to risk their money for them.

This is pretty cool. I love the video as well, especially the Ron Gilbert bit!

I love the atmosphere in Double Fine games though the gameplay doesn't always appeal to me (though I've only played Psychonauts so I'm talking out of my arse, maybe). Also Telltale do some good stuff but often their games lack the magic spark that I think Double Fine has. I think their adventure game will be closer to Classic LucasArts than what Telltale produce now. I might be wrong, but it will be interesting to see!

While this is awesome on every level, I think some people here are getting ahead of themselves by thinking Ron Gilbert is making this game and this is some holy grail of dream team team ups. Nowhere does it say he's involved, except the video where Tim says he might help. The kickstarter page says the project is headed by Tim and Ron's busy with his own game anyway, so this will probably be a Schafer game all the way with perhaps a little input or brainstorming from Ron, more on the lines of what he did on Tales.

While this is awesome on every level, I think some people here are getting ahead of themselves by thinking Ron Gilbert is making this game and this is some holy grail of dream team team ups. Nowhere does it say he's involved, except the video where Tim says he might help. The kickstarter page says the project is headed by Tim and Ron's busy with his own game anyway, so this will probably be a Schafer game all the way with perhaps a little input or brainstorming from Ron, more on the lines of what he did on Tales.

You're right. But it wasn't only in the video; several sites mentioned Gilbert as well, adding to what is probably a false expectation.

You're right. But it wasn't only in the video; several sites mentioned Gilbert as well, adding to what is probably a false expectation.
Yes I have noticed that as well, I guess people will find out once they start watching the documentary.... but, 1 MILLION!!!

Well Ron Gilbert is at DF Games. And Tim is not at DF rigth now. Ron to Tim:

"I'm making everyone stay at their desks and work. You're not missing anything."

Tim and Al Low @ Dice:

https://twitter.com/#!/TimOfLegend/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2F1HH6cKQ9

DF Games:

https://twitter.com/#!/doubleanna/status/167764236733390848/photo/1

Ron Gilbert: "I think this proves that adventure gamers are the best gamers ever. Thank you everyone from everyone at Double Fine."

These are all comments and links from twitter. (I´m not registered at twitter)

And now over 1 million and I´m going to bed rigth now.

Ahh, you forgot to use the rhetorical tags. :p

I'm under the impression that they have nothing serious planned for this game. I think the date around October has been set because an adventure game CAN be done in that time frame (all LucasArts adventures from the days of Secret of Monkey Island were made in under a year).

The original $300,000 (+ $100,000 for the documentary) was supposed to pay 3 people for 6 months. So, I'm sure they must have ideas of things they want to do, but I believe there is nothing written in stone. Otherwise they could have made the video selling an actual game idea as well, which is what everyone else does.

well, Ron Gilbert posted this last year, so it might have been underway for quite some time, even back in the maniac mansion days;)

http://grumpygamer.com/5694081

edit; nevermind; just noticed this:P "*UPDATE:* I just want to clarify, these are not from the kickstarter adventure game, these are from the game that is the real reason I'm at Double Fine."

I love that this happened and I am amazed on how much press and Facebook shares it's gotten, even by people who have never played an adventure game (or Double Fine one) in their lives.

I think a lot of people are also excited about the prospect of someone releasing a game well funded directly by the fans. It's nice Double Fine is in the middle of this.

You are wrong.

After I stated something similar to what you posted (that he would just give some inputs and not really be working on the project), he answered that :

From Ron's blog :

Posted by Ron Gilbert on Feb 10, 2012 five to eight pm

Why would you ever think I wasn't taking it seriously or not going to be working on it?

So that's pretty much a confirmation that no matter what he does, he will actually be a part of the game, which is what we "expected" (or not, in our case ah ah).

Good news, right ?

So that's pretty much a confirmation that no matter what he does, he will actually be a part of the game, which is what we "expected" (or not, in our case ah ah).

You are doing it again, assuming things that you don't really know for sure. I think it's ridiculous to speculate on the level of involvement that Ron Gilbert will have in this game, it's simply not clear at this point. But of course he will be involved in it, he hasn't worked on an adventure game since the Putt Putt games probably.

110$ from me!

Way to go!

Archived