Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

Whelp... Here it is, finally: 2014.

*looks around*

Doesn't really look any different or seem any better than the year we just left so far.

Dunno... Meh... They can keep it. Think I'll go back to bed.

Wake me back up when we all get Landspeeders. Or 2015. Whichever comes first.

Anyway... no plans for today. Play some GT6... Nap... And otherwise just try to chill out, for tomorrow it's back to the daily grind in the old salt mines again.

Unless the craptastic weather we are supposed to see over the next few days somehow causes work to be postponed in some way... Though I doubt I could get so lucky.

Anyhow: Welcome to the 2014 thread of hopes, dreams, and agony, gents! Hope it's a good'un for all.

Post lots. :thmbup1:

:joy:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the basic overall gist of my Facebook status of a day or two ago:

"My resolution for the New Year is to be a much worse human being in every possible way.

That way, when I inevitably break it, it will still be a net positive, even if all I end up doing is maintain my current status quo.

However: If I somehow manage to actually keep this one, even if unintentionally... well, I can insist that was the plan all along.

Win/win."

On New Years eve, we invited a couple over to relax, eat snacks, drink, and play some games. Started with a couple of games of Red Dragon Inn a great fantasy themed humor game. Then a hilarious game of Snorta! a blurting memory game. Followed by a game of Guillotine. Our friends decided to leave early due to exhaustion.

Ended up watching the ball drop on TV with my wife, and the following local fireworks show on one of the bluffs.

Then this morning, Made coffee and pancakes for my wife while she enjoyed the Rose Bowl Parade. Had an incredible float that "Launched" some martian saucers and then reloaded them back.

Watched the Badgers lose in the capital one bowl

Oh well, another year starts much as the same as the last one

I don't really do any resolutions. But I do want to brew my own beer this year, and also get under 220 pounds. Going to buy an exercise bike soon

Big event to look forward to in the new year here: My 30th class reunion

Year started well, b/c the marathon tournament I was helping run was a success. I left some money out there, however: The bowlers were asking about brackets, and I didn't know about it until it was too late, or I was in a position to run them and make some extra cash aside from what the tournament directors were paying me (I do have bracket software on my laptop that I installed for possible use in the big Monday night league.).

heh my resolution??

Get my career diploma from penn foster

Get associates degree in criminal justice from lackawanna college

Pass my next Army Physical Fitness Test

Get a decent girlfriend (is that possible at my age?)

Lose 60 pounds ( i currently 5'9" and weigh 210 i want to get down to 150)

Be a better person to my parents and sister and nephews

Go kayaking

Go Mt Biking

Run a couple 5ks

Paintball

yeah this year is going to be good even if i end up single for 14th of February...ie. Singles Awareness Day...

just started playing the telltale game of the walking dead on xbox, it's pretty fun so far. :)

my puppy is doing pretty good, he had a fun day yesterday with my nephews and playing out in the yard at my parents' today. new year's eve wasn't too bad, i failed to watch the ball drop because they had miley clitoris on there...i was in transit from one spot to another when it turned midnight anyway lol. got to hang out with 3 of my buddies.

trying to plan out what i want to do for my 30th birthday....think i'll find something new and exciting to do besides the usual 'get drunk' ****. i'm over the bar scene...spent last week there and there's just too many stuck up people and it's impossible to talk or get to know anybody at the bars around here besides the bartenders. thinking of just having my friends go bowling, movies, and to the gym with me instead of to the bar, sure it sounds kind of gay (not knocking on u wildstar) but it's a hell of alot cheaper and much less risk than going to the bar. hell i might even start up a game night here if i can find a cheap flatscreen tv we can all chill out in the living room. my one roommate usually has parties here on saturdays, but it's d&d and disney karaoke stuff...lol nothing wrong with that i guess.

it's an exciting start to the year i guess...got a decent match on that pof.com site, she seems interested and pretty decent, i just hope she doesn't vanish into thin air on me without meeting me personally like a few of them from that site have.

post count gonna be decimated. **** what am i gonna do with my life now!!!!!!!

that chick i was talking to on pof, up and vanished. lol probably found someone closer to where she lives, or was just not impressed with my lack of a college degree and a steady good paying career...girls never give me a chance even for a cup of coffee, a 5 minute date i would even take. whatever. pretty sad. but i guess it's for the better, the girl i'm looking for isn't gonna be tied down to a career or want expensive bull****. heh i think i got a sense of freedom by watching that movie 'into the wild'...

I did decide to pick up a Prophet '08 synthesizer after all. It's pretty cool. It's the first polyphonic analog synthesizer I've owned, and there are a lot of things to get familiar with. At first I wasn't that impressed with the sound, but that seems down to the presets being kind of crap. Once I started figuring out how to program it, I got some great sounds out of it. It actually sounds more like an Oberheim OB-Xa or OB-8 than a Prophet 5 to my ears, which is good, because those Oberheim synths are some of my favorite keyboards of all time.

I saw your invite to play... but I don't have Black Ops.

Thanks to Snowmaggedon 2014, I'm home from work today... And tomorrow. My winter vacation just got extended. We are predicted to have a foot-and-a-half to two feet here by morning. Oh goody. :dozey:

Now all I have to do is wake up early tomorrow and spend several hours digging out in the morning. Fun fun. :rolleyes:

We got a pile... but it's been sculpted by the wind so that some spots are completely bare, yet a couple inches away it's armpit deep.

Didn't take too long to dig out this morning though. Could have been far, far worse.

Archived