Home

New Swoop Tracks

Fair Strides 2

Well, it's been a while since I did anything adventurous...

*Reaches into a bag of modding ideas, pulls out a slip*

"Model and implement a completely new swoop track, any design."

CRAP!:)

Yep, let's face it; I'm going to try my hand at a brand new area model! A bit of an unusual one, but hey, I can try!

I'm currently doing extensive research into the swoop bike minigame and trying to piece it together...

Should I succeed, I'll be writing a lengthy tutorial to do two things:

1. Explain what the heck I found out, and

2. How you can use it...

That all being said, when it comes to making new areas, I rather suck at creativity. So, if anybody wants to contribute the random sketchbook of designs, some concept art they made, .etc, I'll try my best to make a swoop track out of the designs. So, depending on the community interest, I'll wait one-two weeks before picking a design to try.

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

Wow this would be awesome if it worked out, because once done, the possibilities for future designs would be endless. I don't have any designs to contribute, just posting this would be a fantastic thing if you could produce a working track and a tutorial for people to make their own. I'm interested on how you would make the area model, because it would have to be quite large, and narrow, but with nice surrounding and skybox.

Wow this would be awesome if it worked out, because once done, the possibilities for future designs would be endless. I don't have any designs to contribute, just posting this would be a fantastic thing if you could produce a working track and a tutorial for people to make their own. I'm interested on how you would make the area model, because it would have to be quite large, and narrow, but with nice surrounding and skybox.

Interesting that you should phrase your response that way, UHK...

A few things I've noticed:

• The swoop track modules are only three rooms
    • One room for the skybox
    • One room for the scenery
    • One room for the "track", the part the swoop is on

[*]The Skybox shape ranges between three sides of a cube(Manaan) to a cylinder with no top or base(Tatooine)

[*]The size looks to be pretty long...

I don't know about that. I only tried Manaan's in K1 and the walkmesh is fine. I have tried them all in K2, and while they do work there are bits that aren't perfect in each of them.

This is probably a stupid question, but...

How do you/Can you import a walkmesh into 3DS if you have a .wok file?...

This is probably a stupid question, but...

How do you/Can you import a walkmesh into 3DS if you have a .wok file?...

You don't use the .wok. Just get the .mdl and .mdx files of the models that make up the track. Compile with MDLops, then import.

If a walkmesh is inside the model it'll get converted to a regular 'mesh'.

When editing it in Max, reapply the walkmesh modifier.

Then use Kaurora to get the model back to the binary format the game uses.

Oh, pray to the Kotor gods, the thing will work OK. :lol:

You know; before you go and do your best to model a full new track, why not just make a long simple box; throw in a walkmesh and start testing.

It would be a shame to work on a model for hours and get bogged down by the more technical side of things.

You don't use the .wok. Just get the .mdl and .mdx files of the models that make up the track. Compile with MDLops, then import.

If a walkmesh is inside the model it'll get converted to a regular 'mesh'.

When editing it in Max, reapply the walkmesh modifier.

Then use Kaurora to get the model back to the binary format the game uses.

Oh, pray to the Kotor gods, the thing will work OK. :lol:

You know; before you go and do your best to model a full new track, why not just make a long simple box; throw in a walkmesh and start testing.

It would be a shame to work on a model for hours and get bogged down by the more technical side of things.

...You evil person. You had to mention the what-ifs! :)

I'll get to work on that. I'm still hoping for some concept art to get met started. As I was telling LDR:

"...I just suck at making a design from scratch. I can take it far if I have something to build on, you know?"

Oh, pray to the Kotor gods, the thing will work OK.

Sometimes a sacrifice is helpful to appease them! :xp:

My models tend not to please the kotor gods can you share what you sacrifice? :lol:

On topic though I'm excited to see how this turns out. The one time I checked out tatooines (at least I think it was tatooine) swoop track, the walkmesh was less than desirable and I actually just deleted the whole thing and started a new walkmesh :lol:.

-SupremeKotor

On topic though I'm excited to see how this turns out. The one time I checked out tatooines (at least I think it was tatooine) swoop track, the walkmesh was less than desirable and I actually just deleted the whole thing and started a new walkmesh :lol:.

-SupremeKotor

You know, that's probably the smart thing to do anyways...

In any case, I'm also thinking of working a little scripting magic to make the swoop take damage and blow-up/crash... Think anyone wants it that realistic? :)

My models tend not to please the kotor gods can you share what you sacrifice? :lol:

-SupremeKotor

Your social life and all your free time, personal hygiene... small things like that :lol:

In any case, I'm also thinking of working a little scripting magic to make the swoop take damage and blow-up/crash... Think anyone wants it that realistic? :)

I would be happy to get the swoop bike moving from one end of the track to the other, without a game crash :xp:

Okay, which interpretation did you mean:

1. You'd be happy to do that bit for me?

2. You'd be happy if we were able to get the game to accept the walkmesh?

I'll leave the grunt heavy work to you... all of it :lol:

I've already got enough projects running, which scream for attention.

It wouldn't be fair to offer help and let you wait for months untill I get it something done x-S

Ideawise, I can't help thinking of adding a swoop track to Korriban. Basically a track going down an oddly straight canyon with stalagmites of rock as obstacles.

That probably would take too much modeling though, considering the canyon walls...

It's a nice idea, you could break up the canyon wall with some temples or big tombs, fallen obilisk and such.

Another idea that came to mind, was like a Death Star run from a Ep IV. Swooping in outerspace; woossshhh!!!

Ideawise, I can't help thinking of adding a swoop track to Korriban. Basically a track going down an oddly straight canyon with stalagmites of rock as obstacles.

That probably would take too much modeling though, considering the canyon walls...

Well, if I'm thinking right at 7:16am...

You're concerns as far as the feasibility of the Korriban track are related to textures. Most of the detail for the canyon walls will be in the texture. I could literally just have a tunnel and if it's textured right, you wouldn't be able to notice...

Archived