Home

LucasArts Movie

elTee

Perhaps Monkey Island 1 2 and and Ron's 3 all in one 3 hour movie. Except I don't think it woruld work very well. And what thingy said about "trilogies never work" is quite obviously complete Codswallop. Look at the original Star Wars. Or what will almost certainly be LOTR.

I just feel that the storyline is far better suited for a game. I mean... a commedy about pirates? Yeah, it could work but it wouldn't really be Monkey Island. I dunno... I wouldn't make any complaints if they DID make a movie, but I'm not too enthustiastic on the idea either.

Oh, there's enough stuff to fill up a movie. Around a year ago I wrote half of a screenplay adaptation of MI1 (not seriously, just for practice). I stopped writing it at the end of the Melee segment, and it was half the length of an average screenplay.

I think if there was going to be a movie, though, they should re do the plot, make the Melee part shorter, and make the journey to Monkey Island more longer and complicated. The game's plot isn't the standard 3-act type.

Act 2 is generally the longest act in movies, but perhaps MI could be divided into three acts of about 40 minutes each. Guybrush learning how to be a pirate on Melee, Guybrush's journey to Monkey Island to save Elaine, and Guybrush's arrival on Monkey Island plus the climactic battle on Melee.

Originally posted by Metallus

I want a Grim Fandango movie. Escapism is big at the box office these days.

I was getting really worried for a moment that no one was going to mention this.

If it was done using animation (of any sort) this could be huge, they wouldn't even have to go over the games storyline, they could use a new one still in the land of the dead and it would be fantastic.

You could even have...*sigh*...an epic Grim Fandango Trilogy

Excuse me *sniff* I have something in my eye

If they did do an MI movie, Ron Gilbert having an active role in it would be a must. They would have to re-write it a fair amount, and they'd need someone who really understands the game. That's the reason I didn't think an MI movie would work, but if they re-wrote bits of it, it might be quite good. I think I'd enjoy a Grim Fandango movie, more though.

I totally agree with Mr Met. It wouldn't be hard to create an original story, anyway, seeing as the game has so much depth and so much potential for other plots... Grim Fandango gave you a real fealing that you were part of something BIG, and a whole underworld was going on around you. Not only that, but it mentioned other underworlds making you feel as if you were part of a gigantic fantasy world of epic proportions. No other game that I've ever played can claim to do the same thing.

Ha ha ha! I looked on the top ten of everything: biggest movie flops of all time:

1. Cutthroat Island

10. Pirates

Two of the top ten biggest flops, including NUMBER 1 are based on pirating. No-one would give monkey Island a green light unless it was a solid script.

GF would work very well though...

A Monkey Island film sounds good, but only if Dominic Armato colours his hair blonde and plays Guybrush. Oh, and also only if they feature a geneticly manipulated monkey with three heads.

:rolleyes:I guess I don't want a Monkey Island movie at all...

I would love an animated Sam and Max movie though.

--Erwin

Originally posted by Erwin_Br

I would love an animated Sam and Max movie though.

I agree, a cel-shaded sam n max would rule, as long as they didn't kiddy-ise it. If it kept the sordid and twisted humour it could be spectacular, also they should get voice actors that are more like the ones in Hit The Road, rather than the cartoon series.

If they made a GF movie i reckon it would be spoiled by 2d animation, no matter how well it was done. Modelling is a unique style (a la the nightmare before christmas) but i'm not sure if it's crisp enough for GF. As far as i can see, only a beautifully rendered 3D production (like Final Fantasy, only less fleshy) would pass muster on this, tho that might be my bias towards the original game.

Any other ideas?

Archived