Home

WIP: Old Ben Kenobi

KevinCoyle

I wouldn't open up the sleeves too much more then they already are. If you do, it might end up looking like the sleeves on Toonces Sidious/Palpatine model... with the sleeves defying gravity pointing straight back instead of hanging down. Since there is no way to animate fabric in the JO engine, I suggest not making the sleeves so big they look ridiculous (as is the case in Toonces otherwise excellent model).

-Anakin

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you do, it might end up looking like the sleeves on Toonces Sidious/Palpatine model... with the sleeves defying gravity pointing straight back instead of hanging down.

KevinCoyle: Yeah, when I said refer to it, I didn't mean to make it look the same. When you look through the reference pics, you'll see that the robe sleeves are indeed baggier than you have them. It's your call though as to whether or not you want to change it.

You should have seen how disasterous it was trying to "trick" the skeleton in an attempt to animate the sleves on Palp. Even using some of the lowest possible weight settings it looked horendous.

The only way to solve the problem is to either have gravity defying sleeves, or model the sleeves as close to the skeleton as possible.

Question for Toonces, when you segmented the emperor model, how did you work out the segmentation of the knees?, or did you not segment those parts at all. I don't believe I've ever seen the emporer or the Tuscan Raider cut along the knee when using dismemberment

I actually segmented him a little under the pelvis. The whole area from the pelvis down to the floor became the hips. I also made caps for just the legs. So when he gets dismembered at one of the legs just his boots fall out. I'll make a little diagram if you wanna see it.

I've fixed the hood and worked on making the textures sharper so they're not so blurry. I think it looks better now, I don't have any screenshots yet but will soon.

I've got unrobed ben in the game and he looks good for the most part except for the legs, I'm having trouble getting the robe around the legs to deform correctly. I'd appreciate any tips from anyone who's had experience with weighting long robes or dresses.

As far as facial animations go, I think I want to get the model in game and release it first, then maybe I'll release a second version will facial animations.

Here are a few Screenshots of Ben in the game, ignore the gloves he's wearing, I forgot to texture his hand before I put him in the game, so I just slaped on Kyle's textures for now. I'll skin his hands properly after I fix a few animation problems.

BenIngame 1

BenIngame2

Thanks to Toonces for lending me his emporer model, I've managed to fix most of the problems with the legs. The only problem left is that his boots clip through the front of the robe when you view him running forward. It seems no matter what I try it doesn't change much. I noticed Major Clod's Tusken Raider has a similar problem. I think the only reason the emporer doesn't have this problem is because his robe is much wider at the bottom, but Ben starts looking funny if I make his robe to wide. Here some screenshots of the leg problem in both Ben and Major Clod's tusken model.

BenRunning1

BenRunning2

Tusken1

tusken2

I'd appreciate any ideas that any of you may have.

You'll also notice his hands clip the sleeves a little also, but I don't think that will be a problem to fix, I just haven't gotten around to it yet because I'm still focused on fixing the legs.

I'm also considering removing the modeled tabbards for skinned ones, the modeled ones really don't look right and clip way too much when he moves, but I'd like to get some other opinions before I proceed. Here are a few reasons why I think this will benefit the model

1. Old ben's tabards are much thinner and looser than the Jedi from the newer movies, they pretty much lay flat on his robe except when he walks, and since clothing can't be animated in JK2 anyway, thats kind of makes it pointless anyway.

2.because his tabards are so thin unlike the other jedi, the robe behind them shows through too easily which really looks bad in game.

Here is a screenshot

bentabarderror

I may be able to fix this but it's going to take quite some time, I've already spent a lot of time trying to get it to work to no avail. The model looked better in 3d max with modelled tabards but I think ingame it will look better with skinned ones, but let me know what you all think.

Ok, KevinCoyle, here's my two cents on the robe issue. If you look at the Mon Mothma model in-game you will notice that the movements of the legs and robe are less extreme than the other characters. The legs do not move apart as much when she is running. I have been able to get this effect with my Joruus model. I weight the legs and feet to their respective bones, then I select all the vertices of the legs and feet and weight them 50% (.5) to the pelvis. This restricts the movement of the robe and feet and they don't move around as much. It usually solves all clipping issues. Hope this helps.

Cool, I'll have to try that out, I'll let you know how it turns out. Toonces Emporer model had the back of the robe weighted almost completly to the pelvis, which works well for that model because it gives the appearence that his robe is dragging along behind him because it is very large. I was planning I doing the same for Bens outer robed but his inner robe is to close to his legs for that to look right

I have no problem with you tossing out the modeled tabards. They detract from the model if they clip like they're doing. I would like to see more detail in the brown turtleneck, it just looks like flat brown... doesn't really look like cloth, and it looks out of place. It's too bright and shiny. Try to get the texture to look like wool or some other heavy fabric perhaps?

-Anakin

Archived