Home

Anyone played Drowned God?

Spaff

I'm surprised a lot of you folks haven't played a lot of the "classic" (non LEC) adventure games. Does anyone remember Cruise for a Corpse, or Beneath a Steel Sky or Broken Sword? I know this game is a little different, but I'm always looking for good adventure games.

Anyone else remember some old ones that are actually REALLY good? (For instance, I really hated Discworld 1 and Simon the Sorcerer -- anyone dislike these or is it just me?)

Of course the problem with a lot of these old "classics" is actually finding them and getting them to run! :)

~ John

Beneath A Steel Sky: I liked it. Funny, apocalyptic, black humour. Good story, too.

Broken Sword: Maybe the best non-Lucas adventure. Really neat graphics. Cool, realistic characters, yet beautiful comic style. After all those tentacles, pirates and futuristic / phantasy stuff it was nice to see an adventure set in the real world.

Discworld: After playing the demo I thought it was good. When I had bought it as budget I never really got into it.

Simon The Sorcerer: I liked it. Was a lot like Monkey Island, IMHO. I stopped playing part 2 for some reason and never got going again.

That's what sucks about (most) adventures: Once you forgot the last few conversations and actions, you often can't figure out what to do next.

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

Anyone else remember some old ones that are actually REALLY good?.........

~ John

Another World.

My minireview:

Music: 10/10 TOP SCORE!!!!!!

Graphics: 10/10 TOPSCORE!!!!!!!!

Story: Adventure/Action/Sci-fi 9/10

http://www.delphinesoft.com/ANGLAIS/anotherworld.htm

(You're seriously missing out if you havent played this game. :)

i was jsut mentioning it because it was made by my friends (ok my bosses) heh.

they think its terrible so it must be. still sounds pretty cool, im going to give it a play!

but i might be distributing it for free if anyones interested =)

Where do you work, Spaff?

I really loved Beneath A Steel Sky when I first played it and usually adore Revolution adventures so was very keen to get it working... Unfortunately I can't seem to get it running on my PC anymore, even with VDM sound. It's such a great game that I never even got around to finishing... they really should release a patch for it :(

I'd really like some recommendations for other adventure games... here's a list of one's I've played over the years and liked for various reasons:

BloodNet -- GREAT dialogue (probably the best I've seen) and atmosphere, seriously in need of a make-over in the interface dept though! :(

Cruise for a Corpse -- another Delphine game, but this time with a great plot! ;)

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Rose Tattoo -- obviously helps if you like Sherlock Holmes, but a lot of these SH games have really excellent, well-written, witty dialogue too!

DarkSeed -- I can understand folks not liking this one, but if you like Giger's artwork and creepy stuff you should enjoy it. Also the puzzles mercifully pretty logical too, so if you think about it long enough you should find a solution (something that's lacking at time in LEC games! I think they put humour over logic occassionally.)

Broken Sword was obviously excellent. Superb writing and puzzles that actually logically fit into the plot! Brilliant!

ToonStruck -- I really enjoyed this, not least for it's subversive humour. No idea why it got such bad reviews, it's as if they thought the "Fluffy Fluffy Bun Bun" character was supposed to be taken seriously instead of taking the piss of "over cute", bland, unimaginative cartoon characters, designed to sell more fully toys to young kids. Hmmm!

Flight of the Amazon Queen looked pretty good too! But I kind of got thrown by that gorilla puzzle in the beginning, and it seemed a tad TOO silly for me after that.

Another World was beautiful to look at obviously, but some the puzzles were just TOO damned laborious! (I'm thinking the cave section in particular!) I wouldn't really call this an adventure game personally though, more action/adventure. Good though, played it to death on my Amiga! :) (Remember Flashback? - wow!)

Played Simon the Sorceror right through to the end, but I HATED the humour and puzzles -- seemed SO sub-par compared to LEC and Revolution (and Delphine and... ;)).

Anyone ever play KGB? That was a pretty weird one, good atmosphere but it seemed too complicated to me and frustrating after a while and I gave up. Plus it got pretty nasty when you uncovered the tape of the girl being tortured -- eep! Unnecessarily dark, I thought! :( Plus the version with clips of Donald Sutherland was just plain weird!

Also tried Starship Titanic. Typically Douglas Adams, I thought: very funny but pretty illogical puzzles (just like that Hitch Hikers textbased adv)!

Hmmm. I think that must be almost every non-LEC adventure I've ever played! :) Can anyone recommend anything in the above vein?

There must be a million games out there I've never tried. (Anyone ever play The Legend of Kyrindia or Innocent Until Caught? I never got hold of these, but I remember that IUC was supposed have the worst interface ever! :))

~ John

Originally posted by GendoTheGreat

BTW, does anyone know if there is an Avengers game? For any platform? I'm sure I've heard tell of one, and if it exists I'd like to know how to get my hands on it.

Check out the NES or the Master System... there's a whole hoard of superhero games, most of them below par, of course.

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

Space Quest, eh? Doesn't that mean sudden instant death from pulling levers and walking in the wrong place etc (aka Sierra)?

Are those games really as bad as they sound?

~ John

There are a few frustrating bits where you realise that what you did at the very start means that you've just screwed up the whole game but as long as you save it often (like I do with any game anyway, just in case my computer decides it wants to crash on me) then it's not so bad. Those few moments really shouldn't discourage you from playing the game. They're are as hilarious as they are challenging.

Archived